The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Original post by Dhaden
Characteristics are basically push/pull factors why people move out an area and why they choose to move into another area e.g city to rural area. Effects are what happens as a result of the movement e.g increased traffic and pollution in rural areas due to counter urbanisation. Use case studies to show what the effects are to get better marks, they want you to state the effects on the area the people are moving into e.g effects on rural areas when discussing counter urbanisation.

I understand that, but where would you place 'the emergence of edge cities' in a suburbanization answer. Under effects or characteristics? Do edge cities encourage people to move to suburban areas, or do they emerge as a result?
can someone give me some advice on how to learn case studies pleaseeeee?
i kind of know my human world cities ones (but get numbers mixed up with all the case studies etc but whatever)
but i havent even started learning the physical ones and there's about what, 8 to do.. any advice on what is the best way to revise/how to cram facts and figures would be appreciated! thanks.
Reply 2042
Original post by Comp144
I understand that, but where would you place 'the emergence of edge cities' in a suburbanization answer. Under effects or characteristics? Do edge cities encourage people to move to suburban areas, or do they emerge as a result?

Ooh apologies, I'd say its both. As people move into the outskirts the increase in population will cause these settlements on the outskirts to grow in size so that suggests its an effect. People may also be attracted to such settlements on the outskirts due to pull factors (characteristics) e.g better quality of life.
Reply 2043
Original post by SamEastie
can someone give me some advice on how to learn case studies pleaseeeee?
i kind of know my human world cities ones (but get numbers mixed up with all the case studies etc but whatever)
but i havent even started learning the physical ones and there's about what, 8 to do.. any advice on what is the best way to revise/how to cram facts and figures would be appreciated! thanks.

You've still got a bit of time left don't worry to start with.

What units are you doing for physical geography? I can only really suggest a structure for plate tectonics and weather and climate.
Original post by rosiesaurus
HI GUYS!
( sorry, just making sure I caught your attention! I have made a spreadsheet of past topics for World Cities, similar to the one before!
NB - please don't just take my word for it, I have no clue what might come up or not, please learn everything anyway, this is just to show up areas that have/haven't come up!
Oh and see post 2020, I really could do with some feedback on my practice question!

:biggrin:
(I hope the edexcel file works, cause the pdf version is really annoying to read!)

Very kind of you! Edexcel? :wink:

Just shows how hard it is to predict. I'm backing urbanisation for the essay.
Original post by St. Brynjar
Very kind of you! Edexcel? :wink:

Just shows how hard it is to predict. I'm backing urbanisation for the essay.

Oh, oops :biggrin: got exams on the brain, haha
Reply 2046
Original post by Dhaden
Id just learn the three, your case study will either be on plate tectonics or ecosystems in that case. Can focus on learning the content precisely from the three sections you know fairly well then, learning stuff this close to the exam will be a stretch.

Okay, thanks, I'll just read over the Development and Globalisation section once, just in case the World Cities section is absolutely dreadful! :redface: I know I should've started revising a lot earlier, but that's just what happened and I know it's my fault. Although I do feel like I've done a lot more than last year (did absolutely nothing last year and just scraped an A!), but this exam seems a LOT harder :frown:
Reply 2047
Original post by Dana_Jellybean
Okay someone help me. National conflict- is israel one of the them?!

yes :smile: Interventions from the UN and Great Britain and USA provide support to Israel.
Reply 2048
Original post by Aliceo
Okay, thanks, I'll just read over the Development and Globalisation section once, just in case the World Cities section is absolutely dreadful! :redface: I know I should've started revising a lot earlier, but that's just what happened and I know it's my fault. Although I do feel like I've done a lot more than last year (did absolutely nothing last year and just scraped an A!), but this exam seems a LOT harder :frown:

Tell me about it, soo many case studies and your depth of knowledge has to be pretty good for the essay. Am Jel that you can wing A grades though ngl haha.
Reply 2049
Oh, oops :biggrin: got exams on the brain, haha

hey the answers you posted dont seem to open up? could you copy and paste them possiblely onto this thread and we can give you feedback?
Reply 2050
Original post by star238
Hi Guys,

I really need to get hold of the Jan 2013 paper for unit 3 how do I do this?

Also how is the 40 marker question MARKED and to what CRITERIA i need help on this.

Also I need to know what topics are likely to come up on plate tectonics, World cities and development

The question paper;http://www.turnford.herts.sch.uk/user/user_files/Departments/Geography/A%20Level%20Geog%203/AQA-GEOG3-QP-Jan13.pdf

For likely questions for tectonics short answers maybe seismic, for development NICs, LDCs, Sustainable tourism. But to be fair anything could come up.

Hope that helps
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dhaden
You've still got a bit of time left don't worry to start with.

What units are you doing for physical geography? I can only really suggest a structure for plate tectonics and weather and climate.

yeah im doing those 2
Reply 2052
Original post by MrProff
yes :smile: Interventions from the UN and Great Britain and USA provide support to Israel.

Thank you! Oh god I was panicking when I couldn't find a national one in my book- I was so sure Israel was one because its within the same country (technically)
Reply 2054
Original post by Dhaden
Tell me about it, soo many case studies and your depth of knowledge has to be pretty good for the essay. Am Jel that you can wing A grades though ngl haha.

I still think it was a mistake or something (I honestly thought I'd failed completely!), and then I saw the A and was like whaaa??? :eek:

Yeah, sooo many case studies I feel like it's not humanly possible to learn them all! And I don't even want to think about the essay...
Original post by emah123
hey the answers you posted dont seem to open up? could you copy and paste them possiblely onto this thread and we can give you feedback?

it may be because I have the new word, i'll try them as pdfs? :smile:
HI GUYS!
( sorry, just making sure I caught your attention! I have made a spreadsheet of past topics for World Cities, similar to the one before!
NB - please don't just take my word for it, I have no clue what might come up or not, please learn everything anyway, this is just to show up areas that have/haven't come up!
Oh and see post 2020, I really could do with some feedback on my practice question!

:biggrin:
(I hope the edexcel file works, cause the pdf version is really annoying to read!)

hero
Reply 2057
Original post by SamEastie
yeah im doing those 2

Ight here goes to the best of my ability.

Case Studies - plate tectonics:

Introduction:

- Where it took place, what type of plate margin/plates involved.
- Time/date (important for temporal and seasonal variation in essays)
- Main hazards associated with the volcanic eruption or earthquake.
- For earthquakes depths of focus, magnitude etc.

Impacts:

- Economic
- Social
- Environmental

Id honestly right down the key numbers for all the impacts for each case study then practice writing out the points associated with them.

Management:

- Prediction
- Planning
- Actual responses

Weather and climate you've only really got tropical storms and uk storms as the car studies.

Formation:

- Storm characteristics

Impacts the same again economic, social, environmental.

Then responses again, and also evaluation of the responses how effective they were.

Apologies if I went off on one :l
Reply 2058
Original post by Dana_Jellybean
Thank you! Oh god I was panicking when I couldn't find a national one in my book- I was so sure Israel was one because its within the same country (technically)

The other one is Afghanistan, you should be able to write some stuff about that even if you havent revised it!
Reply 2059
Original post by Dhaden
Got the mark scheme by any chance mate?

Unfortunately not, been trying to find it but have been unsuccessful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending