The Student Room Group

**A2 Classical Civilisation**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FabiusMaximus
At least it's done now! The first question seemed to be way too small a subject to get 40 marks out of. The scope of the question wasn't wide enough so I guess it would leave you with little room for terminology etc :/
Everyone in my class did the 2nd one too.

So you've got 2 proper erm "Englishy" (haha) based papers? Sounds tough, I've found Alexander good because it's much more about the history itself which I prefer.

How have you found Classics compared to your other subjects?

I agree! I said if something comes up on myths I'd avoid it! My whole class did the second one and antigone. Well when I signed up for the course we got to do the Persian/Sparta module but they changed it to Greek trag :/ it's my easiest as I do German which is evil and did my history A2 last year. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannah_lou
I agree! I said if something comes up on myths I'd avoid it! My whole class did the second one and antigone. Well when I signed up for the course we got to do the Persian/Sparta module but they changed it to Greek trag :/ it's my easiest as I do German which is evil and did my history A2 last year. You?

They did that to us with politics. They taught us the A2 stuff after our AS exams then changed their minds haha. German sounds hard haha, lots of words added together to make monster words? :smile:

Classics is my worst subject, I'm not much good at the literature side of things but i've gotten better over the year :cool: What are going to do at uni?
They did that to us with politics. They taught us the A2 stuff after our AS exams then changed their minds haha. German sounds hard haha, lots of words added together to make monster words? :smile:

Classics is my worst subject, I'm not much good at the literature side of things but i've gotten better over the year :cool: What are going to do at uni?

Not fair is it! Haha you got it :P why they have such ridiculously long words I shall never know! Oh really? You sound like you know what you're doing! German and Russian at St Andrews hopefully, though might change German to Classical Studies as I've been getting A*'s in Classics but B's in German and I find it more interesting haha. How about you what other A levels do you do and what do you want to do at uni? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not fair is it! Haha you got it :P why they have such ridiculously long words I shall never know! Oh really? You sound like you know what you're doing! German and Russian at St Andrews hopefully, though might change German to Classical Studies as I've been getting A*'s in Classics but B's in German and I find it more interesting haha. How about you what other A levels do you do and what do you want to do at uni? :smile:

Germans just like being economical with everything :smile: My tragedy classics teacher is quite good, he's the college's main English teacher so he knows what he's doing.

Cool! Good luck! I'm the same, I found it hard to choose which subject haha. I'm doing history and politics. I've firmed Queen Mary in London for Medieval History but i doubt I'll get the grades :rolleyes: Otherwise it'll be Westminster for History :smile:

How do the fees work out with Scottish universities?
Reply 204
i'm a bit worried that in my 40 marker tragedy I didn't really link it to the 'values of the classical world'. will this affect my mark a lot?? :s-smilie:
Germans just like being economical with everything :smile: My tragedy classics teacher is quite good, he's the college's main English teacher so he knows what he's doing.

Cool! Good luck! I'm the same, I found it hard to choose which subject haha. I'm doing history and politics. I've firmed Queen Mary in London for Medieval History but i doubt I'll get the grades :rolleyes: Otherwise it'll be Westminster for History :smile:

How do the fees work out with Scottish universities?

Haha they do indeed :wink: ahh it's alright for you then, mine doesn't really know what he's doing :s-smilie: my Aeneid teacher isn't even qualified to teach it and he's better than the other one! Oh wow that'd be really interesting :smile: I really wanted to do history and Russian but I couldn't find a course I liked at the right grades :frown: I'm sure you'll get the grades! I don't think I'm gonna get the grades for St Andrews either, it's a long shot :/ but will be happy at Bristol (provided I even get the grades for them!). Basically we rest of UK people pay the full price, the maintenance loan I've been given still leaves me over a grand short for my accommodation- not a cheap area :frown:
Original post by p1234h
i'm a bit worried that in my 40 marker tragedy I didn't really link it to the 'values of the classical world'. will this affect my mark a lot?? :s-smilie:

Did you do the 2nd 40 marker about whether the characters deserved what happened to them?

Classical Greece isn't a huge part of the answer, did you get plenty of terminology and references to the plays in there?
Haha they do indeed :wink: ahh it's alright for you then, mine doesn't really know what he's doing :s-smilie: my Aeneid teacher isn't even qualified to teach it and he's better than the other one! Oh wow that'd be really interesting :smile: I really wanted to do history and Russian but I couldn't find a course I liked at the right grades :frown: I'm sure you'll get the grades! I don't think I'm gonna get the grades for St Andrews either, it's a long shot :/ but will be happy at Bristol (provided I even get the grades for them!). Basically we rest of UK people pay the full price, the maintenance loan I've been given still leaves me over a grand short for my accommodation- not a cheap area :frown:

Yeah it's so much easier when you have a teacher who you can feel that understands and enjoys the subject. Does your college/school do that thing where they hire lots of 20 year olds to teach to save money haha?

Thanks :smile: I read that university applications are down still compared to pre-fee rises so I'm hoping that lack of numbers will mean they'll have to take on more people who just missed their offers (that'll be me) :wink:

My dad's girlfriend's daughter goes to Bristol for law I think. She really likes it and it's a great city so either way you'll be going somewhere cool :smile:

You'll probably have to get a job. So will I because the prices of transport and stuff in London is crazy :frown:
Reply 208
Did you do the 2nd 40 marker about whether the characters deserved what happened to them?

Classical Greece isn't a huge part of the answer, did you get plenty of terminology and references to the plays in there?

yeah i did the second one. included lots of terminology and quotes, but like i think i only looked at it from the perspective of an athenian audience once. (what does classics values even mean?)
Yeah it's so much easier when you have a teacher who you can feel that understands and enjoys the subject. Does your college/school do that thing where they hire lots of 20 year olds to teach to save money haha?

Thanks :smile: I read that university applications are down still compared to pre-fee rises so I'm hoping that lack of numbers will mean they'll have to take on more people who just missed their offers (that'll be me) :wink:

My dad's girlfriend's daughter goes to Bristol for law I think. She really likes it and it's a great city so either way you'll be going somewhere cool :smile:

You'll probably have to get a job. So will I because the prices of transport and stuff in London is crazy :frown:

Yep it does! Haha yep they do :P ohh fingers crossed! What do Queen Mary's want then? Ahh it is an amazing city, it's just the gradient of the hill up to the uni! :L omg definitely, I think they're trying to price people out of uni. You should get a slightly bigger maintenance loan though for being in London, so should help a bit :smile:
Original post by p1234h
yeah i did the second one. included lots of terminology and quotes, but like i think i only looked at it from the perspective of an athenian audience once. (what does classics values even mean?)

I think it means things such as their views on the Gods and on morals etc. If you've made references to the audience once then at least it's in there. It's good you've got lots of quotes, a lot of people (myself included) don't remember enough to put in :smile:
Reply 211
I think it means things such as their views on the Gods and on morals etc. If you've made references to the audience once then at least it's in there. It's good you've got lots of quotes, a lot of people (myself included) don't remember enough to put in :smile:

thanks :smile: you've made me feel a bit better about it all, i'm just hoping it doesn't affect my mark too much
Yep it does! Haha yep they do :P ohh fingers crossed! What do Queen Mary's want then? Ahh it is an amazing city, it's just the gradient of the hill up to the uni! :L omg definitely, I think they're trying to price people out of uni. You should get a slightly bigger maintenance loan though for being in London, so should help a bit :smile:

Queen Mary want ABB and Westminster want BBC. I finished AS with only CCCC so i've been resitting like a mad man! :smile: What do St Andrews want? Hahaha one should definitely take hills into account when applying to uni :wink:

Yeah we get a bit more, but not a lot. Living with my dad I only get the bare minimum loan but if i was at my mum's i'd get everything haha :frown:

The best way to tell the government to **** off is to go to uni and succeed! :biggrin:
Original post by p1234h
thanks :smile: you've made me feel a bit better about it all, i'm just hoping it doesn't affect my mark too much

No problem. My classics teacher has been doing it for years and we've spent very little time on the audience itself or morals. I think it would be much more important in the first 40 marker which is specifically referring to Greek myths and hence the audience's views on myths.

Anyway, good luck for friday :smile:
Queen Mary want ABB and Westminster want BBC. I finished AS with only CCCC so i've been resitting like a mad man! :smile: What do St Andrews want? Hahaha one should definitely take hills into account when applying to uni :wink:

Yeah we get a bit more, but not a lot. Living with my dad I only get the bare minimum loan but if i was at my mum's i'd get everything haha :frown:

The best way to tell the government to **** off is to go to uni and succeed! :biggrin:

I'm sure you can get in :smile: I retook a Classics AS paper last year, got an E the first time and went up to an A, so anything is possible :smile: Well I got a B in A2 History last year, so they're counting that and they want two A's but an A in German is impossible, resat the AS German paper for the second and final time this summer :frown: indeed, I didn't realise how ridiculous the hills in Exeter are until I went to look, needless to say this was one of many reasons why I didn't firm it :wink: it is just so unfair :frown: I agree, we'll show 'em :wink:
I did the Greek tragedy paper today, I've forgotten what I wrote for a lot of it. I managed to get in a few half-quotes and references while talking about 5th Century BC Greek audiences which i'd only read about this morning!

Can anyone please remind me of the wording of the second 40 marker question was? As soon as a leave an exam it disappears from my mind.

Alexander paper on Friday :'(

Woe is me :smile: :smile:

Ah, great to hear another person doing Alexander :biggrin:
How are you feeling about it?
Original post by mightyscott
what do you mean by balanced approach? :confused: I just mentioned how Antigone was pride filled, then Creon, then mentioned a few points why they were justified. Also mentioned how Haemon and the mum died and they weren't filled with pride or stubborness.
Antigone was technically a martyr who got it wrong and Creon was a tyrant who believed state aw was the way to go, thats how i put it :/

I meant argue for and against it D: I didn't do that, I just wrote on how Antigone's stubbornness and pride leads to the tragedy, and then how Creon's did, with detail to city law and divine law etc, and then a teeny paragraph on how Antigone's inherited curse meant she was doomed to suffer and that was a factor, I had no balance in the for/against viewpoint :/ I won't lose marks for that will I?
I'm sure you can get in :smile: I retook a Classics AS paper last year, got an E the first time and went up to an A, so anything is possible :smile: Well I got a B in A2 History last year, so they're counting that and they want two A's but an A in German is impossible, resat the AS German paper for the second and final time this summer :frown: indeed, I didn't realise how ridiculous the hills in Exeter are until I went to look, needless to say this was one of many reasons why I didn't firm it :wink: it is just so unfair :frown: I agree, we'll show 'em :wink:

That's a great improvement! I've only ever got lower grades resitting haha. Except from when i went from a U to a C in RS last year :s-smilie: oops :P (Buddhism really isn't my thing)

Do you have to do one of those awful speaking tests for German? I did that in GCSE French and it was one of the worst things ever haha. J'ai eat un bread pour food. Grazie.

The weather would be good in Exeter though! :wink:
Original post by GeoMash
Ah, great to hear another person doing Alexander :biggrin:
How are you feeling about it?

Everyone seems to be doing something else :s

I'm kinda.....okay....I think....yeah. I know the history quite well but i don't think I know Plutarch/Arrian enough :/ How about you?
That's a great improvement! I've only ever got lower grades resitting haha. Except from when i went from a U to a C in RS last year :s-smilie: oops :P (Buddhism really isn't my thing)

Do you have to do one of those awful speaking tests for German? I did that in GCSE French and it was one of the worst things ever haha. J'ai eat un bread pour food. Grazie.

The weather would be good in Exeter though! :wink:

Ahh I'm sure it'll be different this time! Unfortunately I did and it was a disaster which became average :L haha that was like me in French. It was good but the hills- lazy student remember :wink: and I also felt that the atmosphere was a little too snobby for me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest