The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Exams v__v
Can someone okease tell me. The horizontal force at X, is it clockwise or anticlockwise? Taking moment about B. image.jpg

Clockwise

Posted from the TSR iPad app
Reply 401
Can someone okease tell me. The horizontal force at X, is it clockwise or anticlockwise? Taking moment about B. image.jpg

clockwise
Reply 402
Original post by JenniS
Can anyone help me with how you do question 5 january 2006, finding the centre of mass of a a triangle WITHOUT THE LAMINA

This should help, kind of. Just look at the part were he does the triangle.
http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/mechanics/centre-of-mass/wire-framework/tutorial-1.php

How did you figure that?

clockwise
Where it's from, you mean?
And thanks!

Yeah I said that, didn't I? :P
Reply 406
How did you figure that?

Looks like you need to understand moments... This is a different example but its similar. Basically x has 2 components. One of them acts in the same direction as the plane, which creates no turning effect but the one perpendicular to the plane is what you have to visualise...ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370463473.086650.jpg

When a question (like 2a of June 2012) asks you to find the SPEED of particles after a collision, and you've worked out the velocity, how can you know if it is the speed or you need to convert?

Thanks!
Reply 408
january 2013 paper was really easy - hopefully that does't mean tomorrows paper will be really hard
Reply 409
for M2 what s.f should you use?
Original post by Tuya
Looks like you need to understand moments... This is a different example but its similar. Basically x has 2 components. One of them acts in the same direction as the plane, which creates no turning effect but the one perpendicular to the plane is what you have to visualise...ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370463473.086650.jpg

We can't know by using a pen to visualise moments in my example, can we? ._.
Thanks for your help!
Oh right! That makes sense, haha. Okay how about this. The horizontal at X, is it clockwise or anticlockwise? Taking moment about B. image.jpg

X is acting clockwise. There's quite a simple trick to figuring this out; if the rod were fixed at B and you applied a large force in the direction of X, would the rod go about B clockwise or would it go about anticlockwise? Quite obviously it would immediately go clockwise, so that's the direction the moment is acting in.
Reply 412
Original post by JenniS
after panicking I realised what to do its that sum of mass thing

Ok:smile: Good luck with that sum of the mass thing.
Reply 413
So the question asks find, to the nearest degree the size of the angle AB makes with the horizontal

How do u know which one is the horizontal and which one is the vertical :s
Reply 414
Original post by Student8
january 2013 paper was really easy - hopefully that does't mean tomorrows paper will be really hard

Also June 2012 was quite hard so it might just be :frown:
Original post by LShirley95
X is acting clockwise. There's quite a simple trick to figuring this out; if the rod were fixed at B and you applied a large force in the direction of X, would the rod go about B clockwise or would it go about anticlockwise? Quite obviously it would immediately go clockwise, so that's the direction the moment is acting in.

Oh this is easy! Thank you! :biggrin:
Just get the feeling its going to be terribly difficult. Jan's paper was relatively simple. Anyhow, goodluck everyone, and please god 80 ums would be swell. :biggrin:
Reply 417
Original post by CF25
Also June 2012 was quite hard so it might just be :frown:

i know june 2012 was ridiculously hard, i really hope thats not the case for tomorrow
Reply 418
What do you guys reckon the M2 paper will be like? Hard like June 2012 and Jan 2010, or something a bit simpler?
Original post by Anonymous1717
When a question (like 2a of June 2012) asks you to find the SPEED of particles after a collision, and you've worked out the velocity, how can you know if it is the speed or you need to convert?

Thanks!

Anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest