The Student Room Group

AQA A2 RST3A and RST4A - 6th June + 14th June respectively

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by hungryatafuneral
You're not screwed! I think you could stretch her theory out to a full essay. I'd just give a quick overview of virtue theory and then focus on what she added on. Here's my notes:

- She's critical of modern ethical theories and says we should go back to Aristotle and virtue theory

- Virtues are important because they benefit the individual and the community

- Virtues are corrective of flaws in human nature so we like being lazy, that's why industriousness is a virtue

- Virtues require good will and so involve intention and inner desires

- context is important too so while courage is a virtue a courageous villain is still not virtuous however Aristotle says virtue could only lead to good things

- you're more virtuous when you find it difficult to be virtuous so a starving tramp goes to a supermarket if he manages not to steal he's being more virtuous than the rich fat man who doesn't even feel tempted to steal even though neither of them stole. This conflicts with Aristotle's idea of the virtuous and continent person, he says of you find it difficult to be virtuous then you're not virtuous at all

- the issue of temptation shows how virtue theory looks into the heart of the moral agent.

That's all I have, I think it's enough for 30 marks if you pad out the points a lot.
Maybe use a load of examples to make it look longer

Very very helpful thank you very much!!!

I know I have already asked this but I have scowered the internet endlessly to find how VE can be applied to an ethical issue. I have a revision guide which says wealth and poverty but its not the worlds greatest and most clear example...

Does anyone have anything?
Original post by DelBoy12
Very very helpful thank you very much!!!

I know I have already asked this but I have scowered the internet endlessly to find how VE can be applied to an ethical issue. I have a revision guide which says wealth and poverty but its not the worlds greatest and most clear example...

Does anyone have anything?

You're welcome, I had to do an application essay for homework a while ago, I've attatched it in case anyone would find it helpful. Think I got 29/30 in the end, I've stuck the ao2 of it and my teacher's powepoint up too.

It's all about abortion.
Reply 62
You're welcome, I had to do an application essay for homework a while ago, I've attatched it in case anyone would find it helpful. Think I got 29/30 in the end, I've stuck the ao2 of it and my teacher's powepoint up too.

It's all about abortion.

Wow you have saved my life thank you very much xoxoxox
Reply 63
hungryatafuneral, you are AMAZING. THANK YOU!
Original post by DelBoy12
Wow you have saved my life thank you very much xoxoxox

Original post by beckya
hungryatafuneral, you are AMAZING. THANK YOU!

Anytime! I'm glad I could help :smile:
Reply 65
Can we be asked on the Sala dei Nove?
Reply 66
Original post by beckya
Can we be asked on the Sala dei Nove?

I hope not
Original post by TooMuchG
I hope not

Eurgh that virtue question was a right bummer.. Moral and intellectual virtues had hardly any part in virtue ethics
Reply 68
Original post by NilabKebab
Eurgh that virtue question was a right bummer.. Moral and intellectual virtues had hardly any part in virtue ethics

I just wrote about how they were developed who developed them, how they are to be acquired named a few applied them to some situations, used the archer analogy as well as the musical instrument analogy, talked about how not everyone could achieve it only a few will Aristotle mentions names them Gentleman and Philosophers. Uhhh, some references to modern virtue ethics who mention moral virtues e.g. Phillipia Foot talking about how it is necessary as well as Elizabeth Anscombe but believes it should be modernized before applied to society.

And of course linked it to Eudaimonia and how it is necessary in to follow the golden mean in order to reach the supreme good!

Tbh, not sure what they wanted not even sure if my answer is right did they want us to just make examples out of the Moral/Intellectual virtues applying them to stuff? hmm.
Reply 69
You're welcome. I learnt libertarianism & determinism, virtue theory and science and technology. I think I'll do libertarianism and virtue theory though. I'm alright with science and technology but I feel like I only know the basics, if another section's question was horrible I'd give it a go though

How about you?

how did you find it?? i thought the determinism question was good... i did the relationships and libertarianism and determinism
Original post by Aamna01
how did you find it?? i thought the determinism question was good... i did the relationships and libertarianism and determinism

I did determinism and virtue theory.
Determinism part one went well but I wasn't happy with the criminal responsibility question but it's done now! I said I couldn't agree because I was a soft determinist and talked about Loeb and Leopold and how important responsibility and the criminal justice system are so even if you're not responsible you should go to prison because if you cant control yourself then steps should be taken to stop more crime. I don't know, hopefully I said some good things.

I was pleased with the virtue theory questions, how did relationships go for you?
Reply 71
I did determinism and virtue theory.
Determinism part one went well but I wasn't happy with the criminal responsibility question but it's done now! I said I couldn't agree because I was a soft determinist and talked about Loeb and Leopold and how important responsibility and the criminal justice system are so even if you're not responsible you should go to prison because if you cant control yourself then steps should be taken to stop more crime. I don't know, hopefully I said some good things.

I was pleased with the virtue theory questions, how did relationships go for you?

it sounds like you were on the right lines hopefully we will come out with As :wink:
the sex and relationship was okay but the 30 marker was such a broad question i could have added alot more i could have wrote.. oh well aldone prepared for the next one?
Reply 72
Did anyone link the milgram experiment to Mill's idea of a mono cultural society ? I did but im not sure if its actually relevant
Ah I wish I had seen this thread before, I did this exam today too! I did sexual behaviour, and science and technology.....
I did sexual behaviour and free will - the free will 20 mark question was a bit iffy to me - i mentioned environment, but I feel like I should have mentioned genetics a bit more.
I didn't like this exam... hoping to do better for 4A
Original post by Aamna01
it sounds like you were on the right lines hopefully we will come out with As :wink:
the sex and relationship was okay but the 30 marker was such a broad question i could have added alot more i could have wrote.. oh well aldone prepared for the next one?

I'm feeling more confident for philosophy. The questions are so open ended it's more like "anything goes" and there's so much you can put in. I need a B in this so hopefully philosophy will go well :smile:

How are you feeling for it?
I'm trying to establish a pattern in the AQA paper for RST4A. I know it's risky to do, I'm doing life, death and beyond, anybody else doing that section?
Reply 78
I'm also doing life death and beyond....

This is by far my weaker topic as I haven't revised it much yet :frown:.

I know there are 4 possible questions, i'm thinking of taking the risk of only going over two topics.

Hmm.
Original post by TooMuchG
I'm also doing life death and beyond....

This is by far my weaker topic as I haven't revised it much yet :frown:.

I know there are 4 possible questions, i'm thinking of taking the risk of only going over two topics.

Hmm.

I think present life and eschatology will come up, but I really don't think you should revise only two... that's a huge gamble

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending