The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Original post by StalkeR47
Wait..... How can it be a straight line? If the ball is dropped from the rest, it should accelerate until it hits the oil surface. So, the graph is curve showing that velocity is increasing more with less time.

A straight upward line from (0,0) to the point where it first hits the oil surface.
Acceleration is the only thing affecting the ball at this stage and accn is constant hence the straight line.
Original post by masryboy94
i think so

How did you find it compared to January?
61 70 60 57 62 59 58 60 62 Full UMS 61.0
55 63 54 51 56 54 53 55 56 A* 55.2
49 56 48 45 50 49 48 50 50 A 49.4

As people keep asking for these, I'll post them again... :smile: The end values are the averages, for the past several years which are in chronological order on the left.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
You can guess others here :smile:
Original post by trentjoseph007
Which question r u on about, mate. Their was a question on polarisation.

The one that started with the phase difference, at the top it gave you info on the wave saying it was transverse and it came from an earthquake so you won't get marks for saying it was transverse as it said that in the question!
Original post by FLLF
That's a pretty big assumption - I go to a state school and i'm not bad at physics, and there's lots of people who are very good too..

I go to a state school...

I am just saying that there are more people who are worse at physics at state schools than private schools for obvious reasons...
Original post by Jack93o
for the question asking you to find the work done to stretch the wire, I counted all the large squares to find the area underneath the line , do you think I would get some marks for this?

I know it was stupid of me, when I should've divided the area into triangles of rectangles and added up the areas

dude you can do it by counting the squares!
Reply 2106
Original post by masryboy94
i think so

How did you find it m8? And has stalker posted yet?
Original post by Davelittle
dude you can do it by counting the squares!

I counted big sqahres and little squares but instead of doing 5x0.005 for the area of one big sqahres I did 0.05 so I lost the answers and for 9.4? Will I get any marks
Reply 2108
Original post by jonny7bell
I got 24.4, no idea if it was right though.
I used P=Fv to find the "useful" power. Then divided that by the 360kW engine thing that they gave you, then multiplied that by 100.

Wasn't it 320kW?
Reply 2109
Yeah. First question (mechanics) was a tricky question. In fact, most questions in this paper were tricky. So, what do you think you got in this paper (roughly)? :smile:

Do you think you got the conditions for TIR right :biggrin:
Reply 2110
You might get ecf marks :smile:

They gave you normal line though?
Reply 2111

I am just saying that there are more people who are worse at physics at state schools than private schools for obvious reasons...

Right, it's just you said that everyone who goes to a private school will do well. I agree that they will be more likely to do better, but I think it's more down to the ability of the individual than the school.
Original post by Qari
Do you think you got the conditions for TIR right :biggrin:

HAHA :smile: Of course! WBU?
Reply 2113
HAHA :smile: Of course! WBU?

Defo, BTW last question what did it mean by pattern? Pattern on what?
Original post by Qari
Defo, BTW last question what did it mean by pattern? Pattern on what?

White light fringe pattern. :smile:
Reply 2115

That assumption is incredibly poorly placed. The majority reason that people can afford to go to private schools is because they have parents who earn enough money to be able to afford it. This consequently means that it is much more likely that the parents are HARD WORKING AND HAVE PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS. Hence they stress the importance of education far more by example (lawyers have children who become lawyers etc..) , it is therefore more likely that there children are HARDWORKING AND INTELLIGENT (particularly seeing as most private schools are academically selective) and so although the teaching and equipment is of a better standard that is not the main reason private school candidates tend to perform better, of course it helps.

I attend a private school, I have a scholarship and i feel quite insulted by the fact you attribute our success as being less valuable when as individual we have to work just as hard to achieve it..
Reply 2116
White light fringe patter. :smile:

I thought it meant the pattern on the graph. So I mentioned you'll be seeing intensities of all colours :frown:
Original post by Qari
I thought it meant the pattern on the graph. So I mentioned you'll be seeing intensities of all colours :frown:

No, it said the light ray is replaced with the white light. Yes, you will see the spectrum for each fringe. :smile:
Reply 2118
Original post by Goods
That assumption is incredibly poorly placed. The majority reason that people can afford to go to private schools is because they have parents who earn enough money to be able to afford it. This consequently means that it is much more likely that the parents are HARD WORKING AND HAVE PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS. Hence they stress the importance of education far more by example (lawyers have children who become lawyers etc..) , it is therefore more likely that there children are HARDWORKING AND INTELLIGENT (particularly seeing as most private schools are academically selective) and so although the teaching and equipment is of a better standard that is not the main reason private school candidates tend to perform better, of course it helps.

I attend a private school, I have a scholarship and i feel quite insulted by the fact you attribute our success as being less valuable when as individual we have to work just as hard to achieve it..

What he was saying education wise at private schools there is a better learning atmosphere than in state schools
Original post by Qari

How many marks do you think you got? And, are our exams over now? I have 1 more tomorrow. :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending