The Student Room Group

Aqa b -psychology unit 4

Does anyone know the questions that were on the JAN 2013 PSYB4 paper?
I am finding the debates really hard. Does anyone have any tips or revision techniques i could use to help me!
thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, nice to see someone else doing AqA B!! I find the debates harder too, I'm just doing loads of past paper questions. But I'm making for and against posters for each debate and I will stick them round my bedroom!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ellebella
Does anyone know the questions that were on the JAN 2013 PSYB4 paper?
I am finding the debates really hard. Does anyone have any tips or revision techniques i could use to help me!
thanks guys

PSYB4 is a June paper only! :smile:
Reply 3
I hate debates!! Help :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
anyone the questions that were on the jan 2013 unit 1 paper please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
June paper only!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by hollywils
I hate debates!! Help :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually prefer debates to approaches oddly :/ I hate the last question on method section

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Could anyone please send me their revision notes on the humanistic approach please?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hollywils
Could anyone please send me their revision notes on the humanistic approach please?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you PM me on Friday to remind me then I can send you mine. I'll be doing approaches and research methods on that day. I don't have any studies for Humanistic, however.

As for anyone who's finding debates hard, I have to say I find it A LOT easier than Research Methods. I have no doubt that my marks will be brought down significantly because of that damn section.

If anyone needs help with Debates then feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help or send my notes or whatever.

Sadly what I can't help with is research methods. That bs just looks like some foreign language to me. I mean, AS research methods was piss easy but A2 is ridiculous! :rant:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question: How are 12 mark essays structured?

My teacher told my class AO1 is 4 marks and AO2 is 8 marks, but people on AQA A threads are saying it's 6 for AO1 and 6 for AO2.
Is it different for AQA B or did my teacher get it wrong?
(I'm hoping my teacher got it wrong because I always get 5 or 6 marks on AO2 so I can never get anything higher than B on the essays!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vixen47
Question: How are 12 mark essays structured?

My teacher told my class AO1 is 4 marks and AO2 is 8 marks, but people on AQA A threads are saying it's 6 for AO1 and 6 for AO2.
Is it different for AQA B or did my teacher get it wrong?
(I'm hoping my teacher got it wrong because I always get 5 or 6 marks on AO2 so I can never get anything higher than B on the essays!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah AQA B is
4 A01
8 A02 :smile: don't worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vixen47
If you PM me on Friday to remind me then I can send you mine. I'll be doing approaches and research methods on that day. I don't have any studies for Humanistic, however.

As for anyone who's finding debates hard, I have to say I find it A LOT easier than Research Methods. I have no doubt that my marks will be brought down significantly because of that damn section.

If anyone needs help with Debates then feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help or send my notes or whatever.

Sadly what I can't help with is research methods. That bs just looks like some foreign language to me. I mean, AS research methods was piss easy but A2 is ridiculous! :rant:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate research methods too :frown: I wish there were more practice questions on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Vixen47

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im exactly the same! especially with the testing and the significant and 0.05 etc im like what the hell haha! would you be able to send me your revision notes? the textbook is huge and im struggling with what and what not to revise
It's quite easy to get AO2 marks on 12 mark essay questions as long as you remember to list:

Strengths

Limitations

Links to topic areas

Links a debate

Links to any of the approaches

Topic areas should be easy as you covered them in PSYB3 as well as debates which can be used, for example, in the Biological approach and SLT approach (nurture vs nature) etc.

An example that AQA has provided is an evaluation of the cognitive approach and behaviourist approach:

The behaviourist approach uses scientific methods and primarily focuses on observable behaviour. Theories of learning (classic and operant conditioning) investigate learning by measuring observable responses to stimuli. For example, in classical conditioning reflex responses such as the amount of saliva produced in response to a bell, is measured before and after being associated with food. Behavioural S-R theory therefore involves itself in experimental methods. Similarly the cognitive approach can be considered scientific. This is because it measures overt behaviours such as the number of words remembered in a test of memory but from this inferring the unobservable cognitive processes. Furthermore, cognitive researchers carry out controlled experiments on internal processes such as memory, perception and attention. Moreover, behaviourists focus on observable overt behaviour whilst the cognitive approach has addressed the gap between S-R links created by the behaviourists and has focused on the internal processes that come in between. These internal mediating processes are covert, unlike the overt behaviour studied by the behaviorist approach.

Research into insight learning demonstrates how important internal processes are in learning. For example, a hungry chimp tried to reach a banana outside its cage. After stretching unsuccessfully, it reached for a stick (also outside the cage) and used it to rake in the banana. According to the behaviorists, learning happens through association between stimulus and response, when the animal produces the correct response and is reinforced for doing so. However, in insight learning, a solution appears without prior reinforcement. Cognitive psychologists argue that the activity involves memory and perceptual restructuring whereas the behaviourists claim that learning can be explained without resorting to cognitive activity.

Investigations into insight learning show another difference between the two approaches. Behaviourists are reductionist, believing that all behavior can be explained by S-R links, whereas the cognitive approach is holistic. Insight learning is best explained viewing the situation as a whole than the sum of its part. This means that a solution to a problem comes together when all parts are seen in relation to one another as a meaningful 'whole', which is how cognitive psychologists explain insight learning.

Both approaches have their practical uses, though as their assumptions are so different, the way they apply solutions differs. For example, when looking at the causes of atypical behaviour, cognitive psychologists will base their explanations on unrealistic or irrational thoughts and beliefs, whereas behaviourists would explain atypical behaviour by learning of maladaptive responses. These theoretical assumptions influence treatments. For the behaviourists, preferred treatments are behaviour therapy or behaviour modification to change behaviour, whereas cognitive psychologists aim to restructure the maladaptive thought processes. However, the two approaches, have merged to produce CBT; this combines behaviour therapy methods with techniques designed to change the way a person things about themselves or events
For people who are struggling in the methods section, I've made a mindmap which covers everything you need to know, hope this is helpful!
mind_map.pdf
Psychology is for derps
Reply 16
Original post by HollyBumblebee
For people who are struggling in the methods section, I've made a mindmap which covers everything you need to know, hope this is helpful!
mind_map.pdf

not sure if you're still active but if so please tell me how you made this!?
Hey guys does anyone gave tips on how to get an A/B on both units

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Natashahaha
I hate research methods too :frown: I wish there were more practice questions on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi guys, also struggling with research methods, in particular the (ridiculous number of) stats tests e.g. mann-whitney etc... any of you have notes as we havent had anything given to us worth revising from/useful
cheers
:smile:
Hi guys, does anyone happen to have any exemplar approaches essays on their laptop they wouldnt mind quickly emailing to me? my email address is [email protected], thank you in advance if you do, i will really appreciate it x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending