The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by zzFishstick
If I read that correctly, it says that some pyramids of biomass can be inverted? So I'm guessing it could be option 3. God damn it. The way none of our teachers or text books have actually mentioned that before...-.-

I read through that but I believe that for the GCSE qualification, we are taught that it is always pyramidal shaped, I learnt from the AQA revision biology book and this was the case, I also just looked at bitesize http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/edexcel_pre_2011/environment/populationsandpyramidsrev2.shtml (it's the last paragraph)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The pyramids of biomass looks to be the third option however I put option 1, for goodness sake! :frown: (But only 1 mark)
Reply 762
Original post by SportsFan
The pyramids of biomass looks to be the third option however I put option 1, for goodness sake! :frown: (But only 1 mark)

I really think it's likely to be the first, considering that I have been taught that pyramids of biomass are always pyramidal shape (at least in GCSE) because the top consumer/ predator is at the top and the producer at the bottom

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by js171
I read through that but I believe that for the GCSE qualification, we are taught that it is always pyramidal shaped, I learnt from the AQA revision biology book and this was the case, I also just looked at bitesize http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/edexcel_pre_2011/environment/populationsandpyramidsrev2.shtml (it's the last paragraph)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's true but, the question was about planktons and according to Wikipedia it says that in some cases with planktons, the pyramid is inverted. I wonder if the specification tells us that we should be aware of this?
I would love to know how the examiners are going to dig themselves out of this biomass pyramid mess! Is it just me that had no idea what the last page was even asking :frown:
Reply 765
Lol why is everyone so concerned about a 1 mark question??
Reply 766
Original post by zzFishstick
Yeah that's true but, the question was about planktons and according to Wikipedia it says that in some cases with planktons, the pyramid is inverted. I wonder if the specification tells us that we should be aware of this?

If they did do all this sneaky trick questions for 1 mark, then I would be very surprised. I guess we will just have to wait and see! AQA were really hard on us, I found it was a lot of writing and missed out a few questions hoping to go back to them at the end- but then had no time! Did you find it hard with timings? And what do you suppose the grade boundaries would be? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by js171
I really think it's likely to be the first, considering that I have been taught that pyramids of biomass are always pyramidal shape (at least in GCSE) because the top consumer/ predator is at the top and the producer at the bottom

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I hope anyway since why would they give such a difficult question, I don't even think inverted pyramids of biomass is the spec.
Reply 768
Original post by Examfailer
I would love to know how the examiners are going to dig themselves out of this biomass pyramid mess! Is it just me that had no idea what the last page was even asking :frown:

The whole last question was so irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 769

I ran out of time and didn't even get to read the last page, goodbye any chance of A* :frown:
Reply 770
Original post by SportsFan
That's what I hope anyway since why would they give such a difficult question, I don't even think inverted pyramids of biomass is the spec.

I'm hoping this is the case, they aren't allowed to give us any questions that are not a) in the text book and b) in the specification so I think the answer would be the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by js171
The whole last question was so irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I was the only one who thought that! Seriously, I did not really understand what topic it was referring to, what it was assign. I wouldn't be surprised if I lost all the marks on that page. I also didn't see the labelling questions and found many other party's quite tricky. Good bye a* :frown:

Goodluck xx
From the spec:
"The mass of living material (biomass) at each stage
in a food chain is less than it was at the previous
stage. The biomass at each stage can be drawn
to scale and shown as a pyramid of biomass."
Reply 773
Original post by Bambie33
I ran out of time and didn't even get to read the last page, goodbye any chance of A* :frown:

Do you know how many marks you missed out? I am in the same position as you apart from the fact I missed out the 5 marker instead and skipped a few to go back too because I don't do it in order (bad move) x praying the grade boundaries are low

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 774
You are definitely not the only one...I answered the first 2 marker with assurance...but the other 2 I wrote gibberish!
Original post by Bambie33

I can really empathise with you. I feel absouloubtly distraught, I really wanted an a*. I hope you get it still. Usually I finish 15 minutes early but this time I only had a couple of minutes to spare xx
Are you dope Pyramid: it involved Animal Plankton, Plant Plankton, Shark? You seriously saying a plant eats an animal maybe if its a venus flytrap but still. Common sense
Reply 777
I thought I was the only one who thought that! Seriously, I did not really understand what topic it was referring to, what it was assign. I wouldn't be surprised if I lost all the marks on that page. I also didn't see the labelling questions and found many other party's quite tricky. Good bye a* :frown:

Goodluck xx

Same! It didn't really test any Biology skills in my opinion and it was worded very badly and I just hated it! Hopefully the boundaries are low so maybe we can both get the a*s good luck! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 778
Original post by ExamNerd123
Are you dope Pyramid: it involved Animal Plankton, Plant Plankton, Shark? You seriously saying a plant eats an animal maybe if its a venus flytrap but still. Common sense

What are you trying to say? What do you suppose the answer is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alien X
You are definitely not the only one...I answered the first 2 marker with assurance...but the other 2 I wrote gibberish!

I was unsure whether the plankton ate plants, or were plants. That sounds really silly. But if you think about it, the light levels increasing would increase the levels of photosynthesis in plants, and they'd be more for the plankton to eat. Therefore more reproduction would happen. I was miles off. I honestly don't know what to say. Diabolical. X

Latest

Trending

Trending