The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Case Study

Scroll to see replies

I've got such a massive headache i might not go in to college today :frown: im so bad!:colone:
I have a tendancy to struggle with gaining application/analysis marks, for some reason I just havent gained many over the previous exams (writing isn't really my thing), does anyone have any advice on how to consistently hit the analysis section?
I tried a mock question earlier: "Evaluate the extent to which the possibilty of rebranding the business will secure it's future success"
I really struggled to think of things to write, for a question like this would I still gain marks if I were to write a paragraph about a more important factor (e.g the economy, competiton, CCL's low NP%). Theres always a question I'm unsure about and I lose a tonne of marks on it which doesnt help my grade...
Reply 42
apt analysis can be bought online google apt initiatives, it costs £22.80 inc vat for students
Original post by done&dusted
Im sitting this exam privately, if anyone has the tutor2u f297 pdf copy, please can you contact me. Ill offer £5 on paypal.
Please guys, I would really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smile: Hi, what exactly are you looking for?
Are you looking for the notes which go with the case study called APT Notes? :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by HypErTwisT
I have a tendancy to struggle with gaining application/analysis marks, for some reason I just havent gained many over the previous exams (writing isn't really my thing), does anyone have any advice on how to consistently hit the analysis section?
I tried a mock question earlier: "Evaluate the extent to which the possibilty of rebranding the business will secure it's future success"
I really struggled to think of things to write, for a question like this would I still gain marks if I were to write a paragraph about a more important factor (e.g the economy, competiton, CCL's low NP%). Theres always a question I'm unsure about and I lose a tonne of marks on it which doesnt help my grade...

yeah you would probably get marks for that since you are thinking of alternative ways that have a bigger "extent to which" impact on the future success of CCL. however I would instead try and incorporate this into my actual essay // points related to the rebranding of the business and not make a separate point because then it will show the examiner I can compare efficiently.
Reply 45
Easiest way to pick up analysis marks is to use the numbers that you're given. If you refer to a profit margin or a financial ratio and relate it to your point then that will get analysis marks. Most things you say that relate directly to the firm I.e. mentioning how something would link with their objectives or how their specific customer for each product, as there are at least different customers to whom they sell, would also get analysis marks. You take your point, apply it specifically to the firm and then expand on it. Throw in a couple of conditional statements and you're into evaluation.
Reply 46
What is the UK monetary policy? Is this the same as economic indicators such as unemployment?
Reply 47
Original post by Devina-S
What is the UK monetary policy? Is this the same as economic indicators such as unemployment?

Monetary policies refer to changes in the interest rates, exchange rates or money supply :smile:

So, it is an economic indicator, yes :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by ebduff
Monetary policies refer to changes in the interest rates, exchange rates or money supply :smile:

So, it is an economic indicator, yes :smile:

ah thanks! so how would that affect CCL? maybe their ecommerce operate and the exchange rates for that if they sell abroad?
Reply 49
ah thanks! so how would that affect CCL? maybe their ecommerce operate and the exchange rates for that if they sell abroad?

Would effect them because there will be less demand for their products as customers do not have the money to buy their products. Will affect CCL negatively because their revenue will be reduced and this is an issue especially when considering their alarmingly low net profit.

Will not directly affect CCL due to their Zero gearing policy so they do not need to worry about paying back loans etc.

Employment rates may cause customers to be more astute with their purchases. They may feel an investment in a Bicycle may be good in the long term rather than having a car as their will be fewer costs associated with a bike in the long term. This could help CCLs sales. However should be considered that Bicycles cannot directly replace a Car and if people were going to purchase a Bike its most likely to be second hand rather than a Luxury Bicycle which CCL offers.
Reply 50
anybody fancy practising questions
Reply 51
Original post by j.1994
Would effect them because there will be less demand for their products as customers do not have the money to buy their products. Will affect CCL negatively because their revenue will be reduced and this is an issue especially when considering their alarmingly low net profit.

Will not directly affect CCL due to their Zero gearing policy so they do not need to worry about paying back loans etc.

Employment rates may cause customers to be more astute with their purchases. They may feel an investment in a Bicycle may be good in the long term rather than having a car as their will be fewer costs associated with a bike in the long term. This could help CCLs sales. However should be considered that Bicycles cannot directly replace a Car and if people were going to purchase a Bike its most likely to be second hand rather than a Luxury Bicycle which CCL offers.

This is what I had for economic indicators; therefore if the question says "UK monterary policies" we can basically talk about table 1 and all those factors?
Reply 52
This is what I had for economic indicators; therefore if the question says "UK monterary policies" we can basically talk about table 1 and all those factors?

Yeah because the employment rate is rising. However, could be argued that the table shows unemployment for the whole of the east midlands and may not actually affect the area in which CCL operate in. Also E-Commerce targets a Nationwide and International market so figures would be needed on that to make assumptions.
Reply 53
Original post by j.1994
Yeah because the employment rate is rising. However, could be argued that the table shows unemployment for the whole of the east midlands and may not actually affect the area in which CCL operate in. Also E-Commerce targets a Nationwide and International market so figures would be needed on that to make assumptions.

so we include this for monetary policy / factors? because I can't distinguish between that and economic indicators??
Reply 54
Has anyone got reasons to why CCL SHOULD go ahead with the diversification of the golf shop?

Also I was told a question on stakeholders might come up as well as objectives
talking about monetary policy, my teacher has brought up the 'Fiscal Policy' possibility as one of the questions, possibly going "Evaluate the extent to which the objectives and strategies pursued by CCL might be influenced by changes in Fiscal Policy"
He's predicted this because they mention monetary policy in the text and this still remains possible - it requires you to consider the influence of changes in interest rates (that havent changed at all and are unlikely to change any time soon). But, given that they havent mentioned fiscal policy specifically, he wonders if it might be their focus for the question this time..
Does anyone else have any views on this being a possible question? has it been proposed or thought about by any of your teachers etc?
Reply 56
Original post by annalouisewebb
talking about monetary policy, my teacher has brought up the 'Fiscal Policy' possibility as one of the questions, possibly going "Evaluate the extent to which the objectives and strategies pursued by CCL might be influenced by changes in Fiscal Policy"
He's predicted this because they mention monetary policy in the text and this still remains possible - it requires you to consider the influence of changes in interest rates (that havent changed at all and are unlikely to change any time soon). But, given that they havent mentioned fiscal policy specifically, he wonders if it might be their focus for the question this time..
Does anyone else have any views on this being a possible question? has it been proposed or thought about by any of your teachers etc?

Nope! None of my teachers have even mentioned it once :redface: apart from inflation, what would you include in it?
Reply 57
Nope! None of my teachers have even mentioned it once :redface: apart from inflation, what would you include in it?

Fiscal policy refers to changes in taxation and government spending.

So you can kind of apply in the same was unemployment with taxtation.
Should government increase tax, customers will have less disposable income and therefore may be more inclined to save their money and postpone or even cancel any planned purchases at CCL :smile:
If they refer to monetary policy then that's pretty much interest rates. Talk about how it effects payback on existing loans (CCL is 0 geared meaning it will not be affected directly but customers might), rates on future loans (more expensive for loans, less investment) and the rate of consumer spending (higher interest rates = more saving).

You refer to unemployment, that's not monetary policy. That is a macroecomomic factor, along with the rest of table 1. That is something else
Does anyone have the Jan 13 paper for this? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending