The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by pinksugar
o ma gah

was not expecting those for Lear.

Oh lord same, I sat there staring like wat :lolwut: But I did the hope/suffering one in the end and I think it was ok.

Original post by Cest la vie
Is everyone going to start with the section they feel more confident with or the one they feel less confident with?

Personally I do it with Shakespeare first otherwise it feels weird :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Summation of how that exam went for me:

[video="youtube;73Q7QHPcsv0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Q7QHPcsv0[/video]
Reply 362
Glad that ghastly subject is finished ._.
Did the Caliban question and the question on 'love and danger' - wrote 5 pages for each so hopefully I've written something vaguely intelligible amongst all the waffle...now we play the waiting game c:
Reply 363
Did anyone else panic and write like a caveman/woman?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 364
Original post by pjb95
Did anyone else panic and write like a caveman/woman?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have rest breaks, and when I came back in I'd forgotten how to write or even hold a pen :teehee:
I really wasn't expecting those questions...
I think I did quite well for Section B but Section A was a complete flop!

Need an A* for uni....aghhhh
Section A was okay for King Lear.

I thought section B was horrendous for WoB/The Rivals.
Reply 367
Original post by Pavzky

D'you mind me asking which questions you did? I did the same texts but Volpone instead of the Rivals :h:
I'm going to be honest I absolutely loved that exam!
Thought the questions on King Lear were nice - I did the 'Gloucester is no less of a tragic figure than his king' question,
and for TWOB and Tis Pity I did 'Forbidden Pleasures are the best' :biggrin:
only problem, my hand hurts because I wrote 20 pages... awks
Reply 369
Well that was ****ing **** :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm taking a gap year and retaking English next summer, then :redface:
Original post by Pavzky

Yeah, agreed. There were only two questions you could really do for those texts in section B and each one wasn't that good. My answer was so poor for section B, pretty much confirmed that I'll be missing out on my firm offer. Which question did you do for B? I did the love question.
Did Volpone and WoB, and The Tempest. Caliban question was a gift, so I'm not sure how that'll be marked - didn't think there was much of an argument to be made with that quotation though. Volpone/WoB was good too with the forbidden pleasures question although I think I was a bit simplistic. Friends who did WoB/Rivals said it was awful on Section B. Hoping for an A, would be very pleased with an A* on that paper.
Reply 372
I called Gloucester coming up as the character question to my mates...why didn't I revise to back that up! still I thought the hope question was good and the topics for section B were decent :biggrin:
Original post by Etoile
D'you mind me asking which questions you did? I did the same texts but Volpone instead of the Rivals :h:

For Lear I did that one about 'Gloucester is no less of a tragic figure than his king'.

For section B I did question 5 I think? About the writers' treatment of love. I think I picked an unsuitable question for my texts D:. What about you?
Reply 374
Original post by SixteenHundred
Did Volpone and WoB, and The Tempest. Caliban question was a gift, so I'm not sure how that'll be marked - didn't think there was much of an argument to be made with that quotation though. Volpone/WoB was good too with the forbidden pleasures question although I think I was a bit simplistic. Friends who did WoB/Rivals said it was awful on Section B. Hoping for an A, would be very pleased with an A* on that paper.

I thought it was a tricky decision for section B Volpone/WoB to decide between forbidden pleasures and power and corruption, they were both good :teeth:
Original post by Personification
Yeah, agreed. There were only two questions you could really do for those texts in section B and each one wasn't that good. My answer was so poor for section B, pretty much confirmed that I'll be missing out on my firm offer. Which question did you do for B? I did the love question.

I feel exactly the same, man. I liked section A - did the one about Gloucester being no less a tragic figure than Lear. You?

I knowwwwww, I really hate how last year seems significant because I did pretty well last year. I'm relieved in a way that you did the question about love - none of my friends did. I think the question was unsuitable though. As much I tried to write about love, I kept bringing in marriage and power.
Original post by Etoile
I thought it was a tricky decision for section B Volpone/WoB to decide between forbidden pleasures and power and corruption, they were both good :teeth:

Yeah a friend did power and corruption but I stopped as soon as I saw forbidden pleasures, I'd done a very similar question in class! It was a nice question but I don't think I really got into the ambiguities of Volpone very much; I wrote better on the WoB. What did you decide in the end? :smile:
Original post by Pavzky
I feel exactly the same, man. I liked section A - did the one about Gloucester being no less a tragic figure than Lear. You?

I knowwwwww, I really hate how last year seems significant because I did pretty well last year. I'm relieved in a way that you did the question about love - none of my friends did. I think the question was unsuitable though. As much I tried to write about love, I kept bringing in marriage and power.

I did the question on suffering for section A. I wasn't comfortable enough with Gloucester to do an essay focusing on him. It was an even split in my class, around half did love and the other did the women question (why the hell was the question focused on the LANGUAGE of women? Urgh) and one did power. I brought in marriage a lot as well. Ah well. Yeah, I'm kinda gutted as well. I did really well last year and really felt I could push for the A*/A this year. May get a B overall, which is still a good grade, it'll just mean I'll miss my offer.
Original post by Pavzky
For Lear I did that one about 'Gloucester is no less of a tragic figure than his king'.

For section B I did question 5 I think? About the writers' treatment of love. I think I picked an unsuitable question for my texts D:. What about you?

I did the same questions and texts as you.
The love one was certainly relevant to the texts, obviously it depends what you wrote though.
What were your points?
Reply 379
if only i had gone through with planning a Gloucester essay that i contemplated this morning.....

Quick Reply