The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Pavzky
For Lear I did that one about 'Gloucester is no less of a tragic figure than his king'.

For section B I did question 5 I think? About the writers' treatment of love. I think I picked an unsuitable question for my texts D:. What about you?

Ah really, I thought that one looked tricky for Lear, I did the other one!
Ahh, I don't know what the Rivals is about so I don't know if that's unsuitable or not, but I'm sure as long as you made a coherent argument it will be fine :smile:
I did the one about power and corruption :colone:
Reply 381
Original post by Sannn
Glad that ghastly subject is finished ._.
Did the Caliban question and the question on 'love and danger' - wrote 5 pages for each so hopefully I've written something vaguely intelligible amongst all the waffle...now we play the waiting game c:

hahaha same
Original post by Personification
I did the question on suffering for section A. I wasn't comfortable enough with Gloucester to do an essay focusing on him. It was an even split in my class, around half did love and the other did the women question (why the hell was the question focused on the LANGUAGE of women? Urgh) and one did power. I brought in marriage a lot as well. Ah well. Yeah, I'm kinda gutted as well. I did really well last year and really felt I could push for the A*/A this year. May get a B overall, which is still a good grade, it'll just mean I'll miss my offer.

Ah, right. Ha I thought the same but the quote compares him to Lear so mine pretty much ended up being a comparative essay between Gloucester and Lear with regards to the subplot and main plot.

It's a **** feeling and I was confident of getting A and A* if I did really well but section B let me down. Hopefully I can still get an A (providing my coursework doesn't get moderated). I worked ridiculously hard for this exam as well.
Reply 383
Original post by SixteenHundred
Yeah a friend did power and corruption but I stopped as soon as I saw forbidden pleasures, I'd done a very similar question in class! It was a nice question but I don't think I really got into the ambiguities of Volpone very much; I wrote better on the WoB. What did you decide in the end? :smile:

I went for power and corruption and managed to get 7 pages out of it so hopefully that was a good choice :lol: I didn't have much in terms of critics on Volpone though, think I only had one actually :/
i thought the King Lear question was fairly straightfoward, I did paradise lost book 9 and tis pity for section b and completely failed! :frown: i did the 'forbidden pleasures are the best'
Original post by venenecinema
I did the same questions and texts as you.
The love one was certainly relevant to the texts, obviously it depends what you wrote though.
What were your points?

My essay was erratic. I made points about Lydia's unrealistic view of love (not really what she wants but rather what she thinks she wants), Faulkland's behaviour, his indecisiveness etc. I said the WoB sorta shuns love and focuses on power and the Tale focuses on shifts in power. Pecuniary terms, feminist reading. Yours?
Original post by Etoile
I went for power and corruption and managed to get 7 pages out of it so hopefully that was a good choice :lol: I didn't have much in terms of critics on Volpone though, think I only had one actually :/

I only did one for Volpone but it made up the whole of my conclusion, and then just talked about feminism for the Wife. I don't think they mind that much as long as you show different sides of the argument within your answer! I really overdid the AO4 on both of mine actually.
Original post by tinanpatel
i thought the King Lear question was fairly straightfoward, I did paradise lost book 9 and tis pity for section b and completely failed! :frown: i did the 'forbidden pleasures are the best'

Exact same choices for me - no idea how I did for Lear (the suffering question), it's always hit and miss with Lear for me, but hopefully I said enough figures of speech and analysis to pull it off.

The 'forbidden pleasures' question went SO well for me! The amount of context and quotes I had to relate to that went really well, and my choice of character comparisons worked well with it.
Original post by Etoile
Ah really, I thought that one looked tricky for Lear, I did the other one!
Ahh, I don't know what the Rivals is about so I don't know if that's unsuitable or not, but I'm sure as long as you made a coherent argument it will be fine :smile:
I did the one about power and corruption :colone:

Ha I didn't think it was that bad! When you do it, it's almost a comparative essay between Gloucester and Lear, or between the main plot and subplot which I thought was pretty good.

That's the problem :tongue:. I think my essay was erratic just because I panicked. I've never done it before and usually my arguments are fine D:. Ah nice! I looked at that and probably should've done it in hindsight. Oh well, hope you did well :smile:
Original post by Pavzky
My essay was erratic. I made points about Lydia's unrealistic view of love (not really what she wants but rather what she thinks she wants), Faulkland's behaviour, his indecisiveness etc. I said the WoB sorta shuns love and focuses on power and the Tale focuses on shifts in power. Pecuniary terms, feminist reading. Yours?

Very similar stuff, did a paragraph on financial stuff as well. If it's any comfort, I did literally the exact same essay for my teacher on Monday and got 28. Obviously I can't speak for how you wrote it but that sort of content is certainly good.
Original post by venenecinema
Very similar stuff, did a paragraph on financial stuff as well. If it's any comfort, I did literally the exact same essay for my teacher on Monday and got 28. Obviously I can't speak for how you wrote it but that sort of content is certainly good.

Phew! I'm somewhat relieved. While we got similar content, I think my essay was all over the place just because I found it hard to get to grips with the question. Ooh nice, well done! Sounds like you've done pretty well :biggrin:
Original post by itunesfestival95
Exact same choices for me - no idea how I did for Lear (the suffering question), it's always hit and miss with Lear for me, but hopefully I said enough figures of speech and analysis to pull it off.

The 'forbidden pleasures' question went SO well for me! The amount of context and quotes I had to relate to that went really well, and my choice of character comparisons worked well with it.

What did you discuss in section B? I thought my first paragraph went well then the rest was just waffling :\ My main point was that male characters pursue 'forbidden pleasure' but female characters take the burden of the consequences, don't think it was a strong point though
Original post by Pavzky
Phew! I'm somewhat relieved. While we got similar content, I think my essay was all over the place just because I found it hard to get to grips with the question. Ooh nice, well done! Sounds like you've done pretty well :biggrin:

Hopefully, the Lear one wasn't as good but I'd also written one about the audience's attitude towards Gloucester about a week ago so hopefully some of that rubbed off. Luck was on my side for once!
Hopefully we get good examiners.
Original post by tinanpatel
What did you discuss in section B? I thought my first paragraph went well then the rest was just waffling :\ My main point was that male characters pursue 'forbidden pleasure' but female characters take the burden of the consequences, don't think it was a strong point though

Basically said how for characters, such as Adam/Giovanni and Eve/Hippolita, even though they fullfill their pleasures, their forbidden actions and pursuits in order for them to fullfill these pleasures lead to their deathly consequences, and that their actions weren't the best decision, with only Adam realising the mistakes for his actions whereas the other characters don't.

On the other hand, because Vasques and Satan's pleasures were to intentionally cause disorder, their forbidden actions and pursuits are part of their pleasures. Consequently, because they aren't punished (unlike Adam, Eve, Giovanni and Hippolita), this means that for them it was the best decision in their objective to cause chaos.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pjb95
Did anyone else panic and write like a caveman/woman?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha, yes so much. Quite a lot of people I spoke to afterwards didn't finish! I had about 2 minutes to read through and check it was all okay.

Jeez that exam drained me!
Reply 395
Who did The Tempest for section A and TWOB/The Rivals section B?? I did the Caliban question then Love and Danger. Thought the section A question was brilliant, but section B was a bit hit and miss...
Reply 396
Original post by SixteenHundred
I only did one for Volpone but it made up the whole of my conclusion, and then just talked about feminism for the Wife. I don't think they mind that much as long as you show different sides of the argument within your answer! I really overdid the AO4 on both of mine actually.

Hopefully it's ok then! :biggrin:

Original post by Pavzky
Ha I didn't think it was that bad! When you do it, it's almost a comparative essay between Gloucester and Lear, or between the main plot and subplot which I thought was pretty good.

That's the problem :tongue:. I think my essay was erratic just because I panicked. I've never done it before and usually my arguments are fine D:. Ah nice! I looked at that and probably should've done it in hindsight. Oh well, hope you did well :smile:

That's what I thought, but I didn't really have much to say about Gloucester :tongue: On the other hand, for the one I did it was quite tricky to have stuff about the whole of the play rather than just the end.
I'm sure they must be used to that! Thanks, you too :smile:
Reply 397
Antony and Cleopatra anyone? :smile:
Reply 398
Original post by tommoxham
Who did The Tempest for section A and TWOB/The Rivals section B?? I did the Caliban question then Love and Danger. Thought the section A question was brilliant, but section B was a bit hit and miss...

I did! What did you say for love and danger ?
Reply 399
God help me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending