The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Don't suppose anyone can give me a few pointers about the differences between re-development, re-urbanisation and re-generation? Would really appreciate it.

I'm feeling pretty good about Plate Tectonics and Conflicts & Challenges, but I'm still struggling a fair bit with World Cities, I find it a lot more ambiguous. Just gotta cram my notes in I guess. Can't believe it's tomorrow!!!
Reply 2341
Original post by St. Brynjar
Don't suppose anyone can give me a few pointers about the differences between re-development, re-urbanisation and re-generation? Would really appreciate it.

I'm feeling pretty good about Plate Tectonics and Conflicts & Challenges, but I'm still struggling a fair bit with World Cities, I find it a lot more ambiguous. Just gotta cram my notes in I guess. Can't believe it's tomorrow!!!

I think re-generation and re-development are the same thing mate. Both regeneration and redevelopment of CBDs and urban areas causes re-urbanisation.

Not sure about redevelopment, but I'd thought of it as re-urbanisation being the process of people moving back to urban areas, whereas regeneration is the attempt to improve a City's environment and economy, hence making people want to move back there and reurbanise. But they're not completely isolated processes, so talking about how they are interlinked would maybe be evidence of thinking like a geographer :wink:
Original post by dawg
I think re-generation and re-development are the same thing mate. Both regeneration and redevelopment of CBDs and urban areas causes re-urbanisation.

Original post by ArsenalBen
Not sure about redevelopment, but I'd thought of it as re-urbanisation being the process of people moving back to urban areas, whereas regeneration is the attempt to improve a City's environment and economy, hence making people want to move back there and reurbanise. But they're not completely isolated processes, so talking about how they are interlinked would maybe be evidence of thinking like a geographer :wink:

Cheers to both of you. So, perhaps you could say re-urb is a consequence of regen? Or maybe it's a 'no security without development' kinda thing (as long as you do conflicts, that'll make no sense otherwise :tongue: )
Reply 2344
Original post by midnightice
I'm doing World Cities, Plate Tectonics and Ecosystems. I'm going to aim for around 70/90 but this depends on how nice the Ecosystem questions are!

Same topics as me! Ecosystems is dull, but not particularly hard in my opinion whereas Plate Tectonics just doesn't click for me! Vulcancity is ok but seismicity just brings me down, shame its due in the short questions. What essy are you thinking of doing?
Reply 2345
All i need is a C in this one, good luck guys!
I'm doing World Cities, Plate Tectonics and Ecosystems. I'm going to aim for around 70/90 but this depends on how nice the Ecosystem questions are!

Im doing those 3 topics. What do you think will come up for the essays?
I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to check this thread after the exam tomorrow..... may unsubscribe myself tonight lmao
Reply 2348
Cheers to both of you. So, perhaps you could say re-urb is a consequence of regen? Or maybe it's a 'no security without development' kinda thing (as long as you do conflicts, that'll make no sense otherwise :tongue: )

Yeah, I agree with the first bit but I don't do conflicts so I don't really get the other. I hope regeneration doesn't come up in the essay, I've been focusing on a Transport or Sustainability essay! But it would be nice as a 10 mark or 8 mark question.
Reply 2349
Original post by sheldorofazaroth
If it does would or could you speak about routeways?

Posted from TSR Mobile

mhmm dunno what ill write about tbh... lol
Original post by joereed
Same topics as me! Ecosystems is dull, but not particularly hard in my opinion whereas Plate Tectonics just doesn't click for me! Vulcancity is ok but seismicity just brings me down, shame its due in the short questions. What essy are you thinking of doing?

100% Plate Tectonics. I've done plans and answers for all past essays for PT and haven't even looked at Ecosystems essays.

I just hope it's an essay where I can fully use case studies as I've learnt lots of them; I would feel like I've wasted my time...
Original post by dawg
Yeah, I agree with the first bit but I don't do conflicts so I don't really get the other. I hope regeneration doesn't come up in the essay, I've been focusing on a Transport or Sustainability essay! But it would be nice as a 10 mark or 8 mark question.

Omnomnom transport essay! I reckon it's gonna be urbanisation-based, but sustainability would do fine!
Original post by jacob1208

For the PT essay, I think a general seismic and vulcanicity (together) management question will come up, perhaps a MEDC/LEDC contrast.

In the structured questions, I think transport, CBD decline and retailing patterns might come up.
And for Ecosystems... rural/urban fringe, intro of new species and maybe woodland adaptations.
Reply 2353
Original post by sheldorofazaroth
How you feeling for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

30% confident
Reply 2354
Original post by jacob1208

I do these and AQA like a good tropical biome essay, and it hasn't come up in a couple of years, so im going for that. As for plate tectonics I would say seismic events, although I haven't paid too much attention to this. Both of the topcs have 3 distinct essay questions: tropical biomes, UK woodlands, fragile environment (ecosystems) seismicity, vulcanicity, plate tectonic theory (Tectonics)
Reply 2355
Original post by emah123
can someone please explain to me what planning and management is in context of world cities?

We did this today, the 40mark question?

You should mention rapid urbanisation then use Mumbai & Dharavi as a case study to explain how a less developed country has less planning and management compared to an MEDC

Then explain how MEDC's have better planning and management, i used Essex Waste Management and how specifics have been put in place in this MEDC city/area to manage their waste correctly (include numbers like £15.8 mil spent on landfill tax and how they are moving to more recycling based waste collection)

The i would mention a planning issue in an MEDC in out of town retail possibly and how planning of that is beneficial to consumers possibly, I would use Metro Centre case study.

Then the twist of the argument for me would be an example of good use of planning and management in an LEDC, i would used Waste management in Coritiba and how organised it is, with certain schemes like the 'garbage that is not garbage scheme' and how 2/3 of the population now recycle

Then a final conclusion with whether you agree and make sure you link me back the the QUESTION.

----------------------

Personally if i hadnt have gone over this in class i would have been stumped, as i would have never associated the waste management etc with the poor planning of LEDC's etc....

Does that make sense...also probs got some wrong as im not an A*/A student im aiming for a C and i find geography quite challenging and i somewhat count typing that out as revision! HA
Reply 2356
For the PT essay, I think a general seismic and vulcanicity (together) management question will come up, perhaps a MEDC/LEDC contrast.

In the structured questions, I think transport, CBD decline and retailing patterns might come up.
And for Ecosystems... rural/urban fringe, intro of new species and maybe woodland adaptations.

Transport is due anytime, never been a 'theory' question before as a short question.
Ecosystems sounds really interesting, shame we opted for World Cities instead.
anyone got any predictions for ecosystems and development short answer questions?
Ecosystems sounds really interesting, shame we opted for World Cities instead.

Don't say that! I would do anything to switch! Ecosystems is the most boring topic iv studied haha, earlier on I revised the topic of 'development of species on walls'...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending