The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature WJEC anyone? 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I answered the one on duty!

Anyone do the Donne question?
Original post by kjames
For those who studied The Wife of Bath's Prologue and Tale or Measure for Measure/The Duchess of Malfi, which questions did you answer and how do you think it went? :smile:

I'm quite surprised I thought it went alright after worrying about the Wife of Bath. I did the "powerful poetry is due to the ordinary or the ugliness of the ingredients" question with the poem 'The Quarrel'. I did think the poems and the questions for the poetry were a bit iffy for the Wife of Bath though, I thought the uncertainties one would have been nice but i didn't think I had enough quotes for it.

I did the tragic hero question for King Lear, bit restricting though just being for Lear's character and Oedipus. It was a gift for me, luckily, as I've done Greek Tragedy in Classics

Hopefully done well, knowing my luck i've cocked it up somewhere along the lines :biggrin:
Original post by iamthestig
I'm quite surprised I thought it went alright after worrying about the Wife of Bath. I did the "powerful poetry is due to the ordinary or the ugliness of the ingredients" question with the poem 'The Quarrel'. I did think the poems and the questions for the poetry were a bit iffy for the Wife of Bath though, I thought the uncertainties one would have been nice but i didn't think I had enough quotes for it.

I did the tragic hero question for King Lear, bit restricting though just being for Lear's character and Oedipus. It was a gift for me, luckily, as I've done Greek Tragedy in Classics

Hopefully done well, knowing my luck i've cocked it up somewhere along the lines :biggrin:

I also did the ordinary/ugliness question with The Quarrel. Bit of a headache. Did the question on ability to see for Lear as we've written two essays on sight before and read a few and I had tons of quotes. I'm feeling quite depressed, need some retail therapy. Need an A for excellence grant but I'm giving up hope for that now, that definitely was not an A grade paper, so I only need a C for uni.
Reply 223
Original post by lmon
I answered the one on duty!

Anyone do the Donne question?

Saaaame what scenes did you talk about and what comparisons to DOM?

Did anyone do Q2 on blake regarding powerful poetry shown through simple ingredients or ugly ingredients.. Weird Q tbf and I think I'm the only one who did it at my coll :s-smilie:
Reply 224
Original post by MSI_10
Saaaame what scenes did you talk about and what comparisons to DOM?

Did anyone do Q2 on blake regarding powerful poetry shown through simple ingredients or ugly ingredients.. Weird Q tbf and I think I'm the only one who did it at my coll :s-smilie:

I did it :smile:
Reply 225
Original post by Nathaniell
Who has the best english predictions?! *Cough Cough*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I know, poems went alright but omfg king Lear I don't know q.q

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 226
Original post by s_axo
I did it :smile:

Did you use 'The Sick Rose' Pretty much the best poem to choose for ''ugly ingredients''.. and when they say ''ingredients'' surely they mean how the poets use devices to write their poems, er right?
Original post by lydlev
The questions for the tempest and faustus were ridiculous

I thought the same thing! My answer was terrible- I don't even know if I answered the question properly! :frown:
Original post by JennaEmBee
I also did the ordinary/ugliness question with The Quarrel. Bit of a headache. Did the question on ability to see for Lear as we've written two essays on sight before and read a few and I had tons of quotes. I'm feeling quite depressed, need some retail therapy. Need an A for excellence grant but I'm giving up hope for that now, that definitely was not an A grade paper, so I only need a C for uni.

I don't think it was an easy paper, so don't be disheartened, the grade boundaries could be low.
I thought the Blake question when fabulously, Measure and Malfi, however... I ran out of time. :frown: I hope I get at least half marks.
*praying for low grade boundaries, fingers crossed!*
Reply 230
Original post by Dominicque
I thought the Blake question when fabulously, Measure and Malfi, however... I ran out of time. :frown: I hope I get at least half marks.

Same :frown:
Reply 231
Original post by iamthestig

I was torn between that and the question on hope, and ended up going with the question on hope comparing the Wife of Bath with Shelley's 'Sonnet'. I thought that too, I did struggle at first to find links with any of the questions and the Wife of Bath that weren't too tenuous.

The Measure for Measure/Duchess of Malfi questions for Section B were to do with the themes of government, oppression and duty. I've never seen a Section B question which focuses on characters before, but that might be because we've studied completely different texts. :smile:
Original post by RainReader
I thought the same thing! My answer was terrible- I don't even know if I answered the question properly! :frown:

did you do the governemtn one like I did?? I wanted to cry so badly during that :L
Original post by lydlev
Yes I did the politics one too and tried to turn it into a power question because I completely blanked! I hated the look of both questions it was such a nightmare

I'm glad other people interpreted it as THE/A government... not TO govern like a few of my friends did!! I was worried I had the wrong end of the stick!!
Reply 234
Original post by Dominicque

Which question did you answer for Measure/Malfi, the oppression/good government one or presentation of duty? :smile:
Original post by gracecooke55
did you do the governemtn one like I did?? I wanted to cry so badly during that :L

I did, yes. I felt very much the same! I thought that both questions were horrible though- so I can't even say I might have done better had I done the other one. :frown:
Original post by RainReader
I did, yes. I felt very much the same! I thought that both questions were horrible though- so I can't even say I might have done better had I done the other one. :frown:

Oh I felt my first one went really well and i was thinking "OMG I might even get an A on this paper its so amazing" then when I came to write Tempest/Faustus i was just like D': - I can't see how anyone who did comic characters wrote enough about the Tempest - there's loads in Faustus.. but not so much for Tempest...
Reply 237
Original post by gracecooke55
Oh I felt my first one went really well and i was thinking "OMG I might even get an A on this paper its so amazing" then when I came to write Tempest/Faustus i was just like D': - I can't see how anyone who did comic characters wrote enough about the Tempest - there's loads in Faustus.. but not so much for Tempest...

I agree! I started writing the comedy answer but had to stop because I was running out of things to say. Truly awful questions I wasn't expecting it :frown:
Original post by kjames
Which question did you answer for Measure/Malfi, the oppression/good government one or presentation of duty? :smile:

The former. The latter would have been too complicated to craft an essay anwser to, especially in the time that I had(or didn't have). and I'd worked out a plan for corruption, so I just schewed it to the side of governence and oppression. You? :smile:

(Although, in hindsight some parts of my answer could have fit better under the second question. :s-smilie:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 239
Omg the questions were RIDICULOUS for Tempest & Faustus!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply