The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2220
Original post by octoberbaby
I tink trying to be the spinny person is a very good plan. You said it was a 'close friend' - do they know about your problem? If so then they might stick up for you if people try get you to join in?
Not in a telling them way but if they say "come have a go" and you say no then your friend can try to detract attention or something? Hope it's okay!

Had the exam I have been panicking about LOADS today. I think it was.. okay. Won't have done brilliantly but I never was going to. Hopefully done well enough to get into uni. One more exam left and then I am free.

Yeah she knows about the PTSD and depression so shouldn't find it too odd if I sit in a corner trying not to join in. I think one of the others who is coming is under the impression that I have OCD (I have cleanliness-related compulsions, which are actually caused by the PTSD, and she picked up on them, but I didn't want to disclose PTSD to her because that means disclosing trauma and I'm not okay with that) and all the stuff about not touching people is maybe understandable with that knowledge. Maybe I just need to get drunk enough that weird behaviour is attributable to alcohol. :tongue:

Well done for doing the exam! I hope you do get into uni. Good luck with the final one! Make sure you look after yourself, maybe treat yourself to something nice tonight as a reward for getting through it? :hugs:
Original post by SciFiRory
I really wouldn't say it's weird myself tbh so don't let them get to you is my advice :smile: that's okay, I mean you need a dry towel for a shower imo so ironed one is just taking that a step further is all! not idiotic to forget things either :nah: we all do it all the time, it's so easy to do! (I forget my hearing aid all the time for instance!) hope you found some socks to wear and stuff! :hugs:

They've learnt to deal with it now :tongue:... exactly! I just don't know how to describe it, but I feel really weird if the towel hasn't been ironed beforehand. Something happened when I was wee, and since then I've just gotten into the habit of ironing everything, and if I don't then I just won't wear it at all. I'm always forgetting things this last week :facepalm: I ended up sleeping at my desk with my pillow and duvet, god it was hell! Woke up and I ran to iron my PJ's so now, they are ironed and I can sleep in my bed! :hugs:

Original post by Aemiliana
Are you getting any help with OCD? I know how exhausting it can get when it's bad. Is there anything that triggered it do you think? Hope you manage to get a decent nights sleep tonight x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have OCD :redface:.. well I don't think I have :s-smilie:... meh it's just something I always need to do. If I don't then it just makes me soo anxious and angry like last night. Nothing felt right last night all cause I hadn't ironed my PJ's :facepalm: As soon as I woke up ran and ironed them :redface:... I hope I do to! :smile:
Has potential to be triggering to anyone

Spoiler

Original post by -FireFlies-
They've learnt to deal with it now :tongue:... exactly! I just don't know how to describe it, but I feel really weird if the towel hasn't been ironed beforehand. Something happened when I was wee, and since then I've just gotten into the habit of ironing everything, and if I don't then I just won't wear it at all. I'm always forgetting things this last week :facepalm: I ended up sleeping at my desk with my pillow and duvet, god it was hell! Woke up and I ran to iron my PJ's so now, they are ironed and I can sleep in my bed! :hugs:

that's good then :tongue: fair enough, the main thing is you are able to do it and it makes you feel okay when you have really :smile: we all have bad weeks so don't worry! memories tend to come and go sometimes! that's good, hopefully now you have stuff ironed you can get a good nights sleep tonight and stuff :smile: :hugs:

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Spoiler

Spoiler

that's good then :tongue: fair enough, the main thing is you are able to do it and it makes you feel okay when you have really :smile: we all have bad weeks so don't worry! memories tend to come and go sometimes! that's good, hopefully now you have stuff ironed you can get a good nights sleep tonight and stuff :smile: :hugs:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by djpailo
Thanks for your advice. I'm wary of seeing a GP if it doesn't help. Are there any guides online that actually help? I watched a few videos on it and whilst I knew and recognised what they were going through, the videos didn't really offer advice on how to fix it (many said you can't?) :s

Hi,

Although the GP is not fully qualified to diagnose/help you they are the gateway to help. By referring you onwards you can then access other therapies. The type of symptoms you may be experiencing if you think that you may have avoidant PD are treatable. CBT can help, phobia programmes and behavioural therapy. If the symptoms are actually a side effect of another disorder such as clinical depression or anxiety disorders (masking them in effect) then treatment with medication can be undertaken.

Unfortunately you usually have to go through the GP first to get access to the other parts of the service. I can understand that this may be very intimidating when you are avoidant by nature. If you have any friend or relative that you trust then perhaps they may come along with you, even if it is just to the waiting room if you don't want them in the consultation. Try writing down what you want to express to the GP and take this note with you. If the worse comes to the worse you can always hand it over. Be clear that you want a referral to be assessed by the local mental health team.

Most of all remember that the GP is there to serve you. He is a resource for you to use. If you don't like the GP you see or you feel they didn't listen or understand then you are perfectly within your rights to go and see another one.

It always helps to gain insight into the types of problems you are experiencing: reading around the subject etc. Trying to deal with all the problems totally on your own without any support at all though is rather like trying to pick yourself by your own bootlaces. The real difficulty with avoidant disorders is that there is a tendency to be avoidant and not enter treatment and try to go it alone!!! It is a bit Catch twenty two.

If you can find a way to get support it may make a real difference. You are entitled to such support and absolutely deserve it.

Good luck,

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Spoiler

Definitely shouldn't have read that. :angry: People's ignorance sometimes astounds me.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah, they've learnt to deal with it :tongue:.. At first my mum used to say - what the hell are you doing?! or you weirdo etc etc. Yeah I mean if I don't do it then well you know what happens like last night :rolleyes:.. my memory is just totally shot :frown:.. yup planning on going to bed early, my back and neck are just aching :/
Original post by Anonymous
Definitely shouldn't have read that. :angry: People's ignorance sometimes astounds me.

Me too :jumphug: It pisses me off a lot

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 2231
Bloody hell there's some ignorant opinions in that thread.

If I'm completely honest, I believe the only way you'll ever completely understand depression/bipolar disorder/anxiety/BPD/any other mental health problem is if you actually experience it yourself so I'm not completely surprised there are ignorant opinions being posted.
Reply 2232
Just scanned through that thread, can't even begin to form a reply for it. I got out of bed and am going to do nothing dor the rest of the day because I can't think of anything to do on my own round here. Dont think I realised how isolated I am at home when I decided to take a break from uni. I don't have the energy to look for a part time job and so don't have the money to do anything. My friends are at uni still so it's not like I can hang out somewhere and get drunk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -FireFlies-
Yeah, they've learnt to deal with it :tongue:.. At first my mum used to say - what the hell are you doing?! or you weirdo etc etc. Yeah I mean if I don't do it then well you know what happens like last night :rolleyes:.. my memory is just totally shot :frown:.. yup planning on going to bed early, my back and neck are just aching :/

fair enough haha :smile: maybe make a list of stuff that needs ironing each day? might help you remember! :smile: cool, hopefully some sleep helps your back and neck a bit! :hugs:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by djpailo
Thanks for your advice. I'm wary of seeing a GP if it doesn't help. Are there any guides online that actually help? I watched a few videos on it and whilst I knew and recognised what they were going through, the videos didn't really offer advice on how to fix it (many said you can't?) :s

You can fix it in almost all cases. It can take a long time sometimes and sometimes it will involve things like meds too but it CAN be fixed or at least managed. Online there is some good advice, not all of it will be helpful but at least some of it will be so give it a go. Sites like Mind and Sane were probably the most useful to me along with other people's past experiences. All I did was google things like "how to beat depression" and it came up with loads of lists and articles. I've also recently found a book called "depressive illness: curse of the strong". I haven't read much of it but what I have read has really helped with my understanding of how depression works. It may help you to look into how your issues could be caused too.

I would suggest seeing your GP about it. It may start off seeming like its not helping because the process takes a while but it's best to do it early and prevent things getting any worse. They may offer you meds (you won't have to take them though) and various forms of therapy to help you cope. They suggested I looked at a thing called "moodgym" (a form of CBT) while I waited for my referral. You have nothing to loose by seeing your GP (other than a bit of time) so I would urge you to try it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do I join this society? I'm new to TSR
Bloody sick of my step dad already :frown: trying to kick me out already and were not even back home till saturday :cry2: :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
Bloody sick of my step dad already :frown: trying to kick me out already and were not even back home till saturday :cry2: :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console: oh no, what happened? :lovehug:
:console: oh no, what happened? :lovehug:

Just telling me to get a job or im homeless. I dont think he realises how few jobs there are :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
Just telling me to get a job or im homeless. I dont think he realises how few jobs there are :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's stupid, surely they can't just kick you out like that? what did your mum say?

if they do do anything ****ed up like trying to make you move out then get the train to me okay, I'll make my parents agree to let you stay with me! :lovehug: noway are you gonna end up homeless while im around sweetie! :hugs:

Latest