The Student Room Group

OCR Music A2 Anyone?

Is there anyone here doing OCR Music A2?

Coming up to the exam soon and there are hardly any resources online...have people found any? I'm doing the topic 'Music for the Stage' :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexjersey
Is there anyone here doing OCR Music A2?

Coming up to the exam soon and there are hardly any resources online...have people found any? I'm doing the topic 'Music for the Stage' :smile:

There really arn't that many resources; it's such a nuisance. Do you have the Rhinegold Education A2 study guide? That's been a springboard for my revision. I'm doing the 'Film Music' topic instead, but the guide would still help regardless.

As for the Section A of the exam, I really am just listening to as much relevant vocal music as possible, and going over those key terms and concepts. Then for the comparison with another composition, I am doing lots of related listening to get a sense of those composers - e.g. one of the pieces I have studied for the comparison is Britten's Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings. Thus, I've listened to a range of Britten, from 'Peter Grimes' to his War Requiem, to really understand that 'vibe' and to justify such comparisons in my answer.

As crude as it may be, lots of Music revision really is just listening and making notes, again and again.

Hope this helps, somewhat! :smile:
hello im doing this too!!

i feel so alone!! i am an external candidate so i have NO ONE to talk to about my fears on this exam!

what do you think may come up for the section B questions? i have problems processing things so when i am trying to revise n thinking "what would come up" its really hard to think of something...

also retaking the AS exam.. same applies for section C!!

good luck everyone :biggrin:
Original post by megfashion
hello im doing this too!!

i feel so alone!! i am an external candidate so i have NO ONE to talk to about my fears on this exam!

what do you think may come up for the section B questions? i have problems processing things so when i am trying to revise n thinking "what would come up" its really hard to think of something...

also retaking the AS exam.. same applies for section C!!

good luck everyone :biggrin:

What topic are you doing - it'd be kinda difficult answering it if we're doing totally different things!
Original post by ThatMusicStudent
What topic are you doing - it'd be kinda difficult answering it if we're doing totally different things!

haha yes sorry. was too excited that there were PEOPLE that i can relate too haha.

im doing programme music :smile:
Original post by megfashion
haha yes sorry. was too excited that there were PEOPLE that i can relate too haha.

im doing programme music :smile:

Ah, great :s-smilie:

I'm not entirely sure, but in my case the previous questions seem to be pretty similar across the previous years.

Personally, I'd just revise all the pieces in detail individually, which I'm sure one of the questions will require you to do. Contextual information about the composer/their style in relation to the period/their canon would probably help too. And I'd also guess to take a wide approach in your revision - look at the generic conventions of programme music, and see how the composers take on these in their scores. There will be a comparison question, that's pretty much predictable (well, I'm taking a guess, aha!)

Just out of interest, what pieces do you study under the Programme Music topic? I absolutely adore romantic Programme Music - pretty much most Rimsky K and Glazunov's Seasons, dat power bro! :smile:
Ah, great :s-smilie:

I'm not entirely sure, but in my case the previous questions seem to be pretty similar across the previous years.

Personally, I'd just revise all the pieces in detail individually, which I'm sure one of the questions will require you to do. Contextual information about the composer/their style in relation to the period/their canon would probably help too. And I'd also guess to take a wide approach in your revision - look at the generic conventions of programme music, and see how the composers take on these in their scores. There will be a comparison question, that's pretty much predictable (well, I'm taking a guess, aha!)

Just out of interest, what pieces do you study under the Programme Music topic? I absolutely adore romantic Programme Music - pretty much most Rimsky K and Glazunov's Seasons, dat power bro! :smile:

im doing four seasons n some others (its 1am i cant remember, been focusing on the AS exam :P ). i LOVE four seasons. its my favourite out of all of them

okay thanks :smile: i find i lose marks by not actually answering the question and just putting down everything (part of my communication problem). tis how i got a U in my media exam - put all the theories down n how it is incorporated into the film etc.. but didnt look at the question n incorporate that :P
Reply 7
There really arn't that many resources; it's such a nuisance. Do you have the Rhinegold Education A2 study guide? That's been a springboard for my revision. I'm doing the 'Film Music' topic instead, but the guide would still help regardless.

As for the Section A of the exam, I really am just listening to as much relevant vocal music as possible, and going over those key terms and concepts. Then for the comparison with another composition, I am doing lots of related listening to get a sense of those composers - e.g. one of the pieces I have studied for the comparison is Britten's Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings. Thus, I've listened to a range of Britten, from 'Peter Grimes' to his War Requiem, to really understand that 'vibe' and to justify such comparisons in my answer.

As crude as it may be, lots of Music revision really is just listening and making notes, again and again.

Hope this helps, somewhat! :smile:

Hi - thanks for your reply!

I have got the Rhinegold book, however sadly I don't think it goes into enough detail...but yes at least it's somewhere to start from :smile:

For section A, I'm going to try and do as many of the past papers as possible. Is it just me who thinks that the comparison with other compositions is a lot of work for the 5 or so marks per paper?! We've looked at a few pieces in class, including the Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings, so I think I'm going to make a few brief notes on these. I don't think they'll be expecting too much detail here

Yes, I agree that music revision in many ways is just going over and over the pieces learning facts and bar numbers etc...not the best really!

I have got the Rhinegold book, however sadly I don't think it goes into enough detail...but yes at least it's somewhere to start from :smile:

For section A, I'm going to try and do as many of the past papers as possible. Is it just me who thinks that the comparison with other compositions is a lot of work for the 5 or so marks per paper?! We've looked at a few pieces in class, including the Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings, so I think I'm going to make a few brief notes on these. I don't think they'll be expecting too much detail here

Yes, I agree that music revision in many ways is just going over and over the pieces learning facts and bar numbers etc...not the best really!

i have the rhinegold revision books too :smile:

its fantastic for AS, but not as much for A2. AS it has awesome tables that i can easily understand!!

just going to keep listening to those pieces for A2 n hope for the best... its my last exam n its 70 days away, i have 2 exams on the same day in 34 days time so im abit more concerned about them...

Oh! Just thought of something, kinda blindingly obvious, but use IMSLP. They obviously won't have a lot of 20th century vocal music, due to copywrite restrictions etc, but it certainly will help with Section B and going into precise details!

Despite being overly tedious, music revision does work. That, and the exam doesn't seem terrible per say - there are much harder exams out there... :smile:
Reply 10
Hey :smile: thanks for starting this forum! Is anyone possibly doing the 'song' topic in the exam?
Hey all,

Hope exams are going well.

I wanted to know what key pieces of music for voice are people studying in relation to the first question?

I'll type up a list - it'd be nice to see if anyone is doing the same, or similar pieces for comparison.

Enjoy revision, aha :P

TMS
Reply 12
Hey all,

Hope exams are going well.

I wanted to know what key pieces of music for voice are people studying in relation to the first question?

I'll type up a list - it'd be nice to see if anyone is doing the same, or similar pieces for comparison.

Enjoy revision, aha :P

TMS

Hey, hope the music revision is going well :smile:

So far I've done
1. 'Thus Spake Isaiah' from Belshazzar's Feast (Walton) (Choral)
2. 'The Vagabond' (Vaughn-Williams) (Solo - English)
3. 'Creon's Announcement' from Odeipus Rex (Solo - Foreign Language)

Might do a duet, and perhaps one other, but I think that is covering most bases?

Hope that helps

Which ones are you doing?
Hey, hope the music revision is going well :smile:

So far I've done
1. 'Thus Spake Isaiah' from Belshazzar's Feast (Walton) (Choral)
2. 'The Vagabond' (Vaughn-Williams) (Solo - English)
3. 'Creon's Announcement' from Odeipus Rex (Solo - Foreign Language)

Might do a duet, and perhaps one other, but I think that is covering most bases?

Hope that helps

Which ones are you doing?

It might be useful to do a choral accompanied and a choral unaccompanied..

Our teacher has made sure that we've done:
1) choral accompanied
2) choral unaccompanied
3) large scale dramatic work
4) solo within a work
5) accompanied work (piano)
6) accompanied work (orchestra)
7) Italian work
Reply 14
Is anyone doing Film Music (The hours - Philip Glass, Robin Hood - Erich Korngold, and Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann)?
Original post by grace_amelia
It might be useful to do a choral accompanied and a choral unaccompanied..

Our teacher has made sure that we've done:
1) choral accompanied
2) choral unaccompanied
3) large scale dramatic work
4) solo within a work
5) accompanied work (piano)
6) accompanied work (orchestra)
7) Italian work

What songs are you doing for each?? I've only learnt two :/ having to pretty much self teach

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stephan88
Is anyone doing Film Music (The hours - Philip Glass, Robin Hood - Erich Korngold, and Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann)?

I am!!
If you need any help, I'm always happy to :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by The Oboist.
I am!!
If you need any help, I'm always happy to :smile:

I am, I'm crapping it any tips for the essay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Giorgina
I am, I'm crapping it any tips for the essay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly you've put singular essay - you know we do two right? :P
Two from a choice of three..

As for advice I can think of few things:

My teacher always says: "if you're not talking about the music, you're not getting the marks" which is pretty good advice..

Next tip would be be concise and be as specific as possible: Mention a chord - what chord? Mention a key change - what key? That's for tonality questions obviously but you get the idea...

Next, use specific film terminology (diegetic, hit points etc...) - it's quicker than trying to explain what they mean looks more impressive.

And finally, just be strict with yourself with timings - I set myself 30 minutes for each essay and that seems to be enough..

Hope any of that helps :smile:
Let me know if you need anymore!
Sorry it's so long... !!
mixed emotions about this exam. part of me is BRICKING IT, as dad and i havent actually finished the course (ive been self teaching pretty much as we have had alot of family issues going on meaning he has to go to see grandparents etc..), we are finishing it tonight.

but then i look at the questions from the previous years, and think actually yep i can talk about that! maybe not to attain 25 marks, but id be happy with 14 marks at this stage.

hoping to get a high C / low B on this exam... dont think it will happen :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending