The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentr00msucks
Well like he says you need 90% in the two A2 modules, that's 180/200 UMS. If you have the full 80 UMS for your coursework, you need to get 100/120 UMS in today's exam. The A boundary is 96, so you need a pretty low A to get an overall A*.

I'm pretty sure getting a high A at AS has no bearing on whether or not you get an A* overall.

Correct - I just scraped an A at AS and was freaking out that I wouldn't be able to get an A*, but so long as your average over AS and A2 is 80%, and you get 90% at A2, you can get an A* - fingers crossed I did enough in the exam!!
i'm completely panicking now, because i freaked and couldn't piece together specific critics with what they said in the exam - i just wrote a random critic's name and attributed a quote to them that they probably didn't say :frown:

do you think i'll get marked down on it a huge amount? i only really did it in the first question (i wrote about king lear & lack of hope in the play).
Reply 422
Original post by binxgillam
I only mentioned 2 poems, and our teacher had told us that he had been to a conference, and the examiner had said that so long as you make good points you can get away with talking about only one poem for Marvell :smile:

Oh that's great, thank you so much! Feel better now :smile:
Reply 423
Original post by Etoile
I mentioned that performance too!

I mentioned the chalked outline of the kingdom then of Lear and Cordelia's body on the stage hahaha. The fool was brilliant in it I thought!
Reply 424
Basically I just realised I called the critic Chernaik Warren 'Chernaik Wain' in the exam, is this going to effect me much? I have sort of scribbly writing, hoping they'll just scan it and presume I've said the right name, eek
Reply 425
Original post by tommoxham
Talked about Julia putting herself in danger through Faulkland, Lydia because she's naive at first to Jack duping her as Ensign Beverley, the repercussions of that (danger of losing her). And for TWOB, The Wife distancing herself emotionally from the first three husbands, then rushing into it with the 4th and Jankin. She doesn't put herself in physical danger until she gets with Jankin, then she's a bit naive to the whole love bit. For the actual tale, mentioned that when the Knight rapes the girl, he's embracing danger, but only comes to embrace love as the hag turns into the beautiful woman, so a bit of role reversal almost :P plus quotations and criticisms, especially feminist ones because it would seem that women were the ones that were always embracing love, so why don't men. Context, put some arranged marriage, financial and political stuff on that. How did you feel it went?

Omg that is different to me! I talked about how love becomes dangerous as Faulkland and Jankin suffer due to their own actions F's self worry and Jankin becomes dominated by WOF due to his own mistakes They both inflict this pain and danger onto themselves etc I honestly don't know if that makes any sense lol. I also talked about the extreme lengths love drives people to Jack, Bob, and The Old Hag all change themselves in order to please partners Where as WOF doesn't need to ( contrast point)
I also talked about Lydia wanting love but humiliated perhaps showing the hubris and nemesis of love but WOF does not allow herself to love as she believes it distracts her and is dangerous she wants money power etc.

I think I scraped C tbh...

Tempest was fine Caliban meh It was overall an okay exam
Reply 426
Original post by loni
Basically I just realised I called the critic Chernaik Warren 'Chernaik Wain' in the exam, is this going to effect me much? I have sort of scribbly writing, hoping they'll just scan it and presume I've said the right name, eek

I was just worrying about the same thing

Oh wells :frown:
Reply 427
Yes! So many people in my set wanted a question on Enobarbus, but he is much better discussed as a context to the main characters. I did the Antony question aswell, not sure about the relevance of my conclusion though :/ I said that he had undermined himself, and been undermined by others, to such an extent that the audience could not know him because he had been reduced to a 'strumpet's fool' and was fooled by Cleopatra into believing she had killed herself and a fool in not knowing where his allegiance lay, in Rome or in Egypt. I am a bit concerned that it didn't answer the question well enough, but I was so pushed for time I had to move straight on to section B without checking it first! :smile:

Enobarbus was a feared topic for my set! I wanted either Antony or Cleopatra ideally in a character question so actually quite happy!

My conclusion was rather similar - the degradation of Antony due to Cleopatra's interference and how the audience would respond to the conflict in Antony's character - duty vs. pleasure. I optionally spent less time on Section A - Section B with the comparisons is more time consuming for me! My argument was on similar lines though, so reassured that I wrote something right :smile:

Good luck for results!
Correct - I just scraped an A at AS and was freaking out that I wouldn't be able to get an A*, but so long as your average over AS and A2 is 80%, and you get 90% at A2, you can get an A* - fingers crossed I did enough in the exam!!

so you still need to get an A overall in AS, so a B could never be brought up by 100% in A2 to bring it to an A*?
Reply 429
Original post by karnipa
Basically just wondering if I did the right thing and want to hear what other people wrote!

I did King Learn and Volpone + Paradise Lost question, for King Lear I did the a) question (Gloucester), and although I ran out of time (had 40 minutes, didn't even plan) I went on about Gloucester's blindess in comparison to Lear's metaphorical blindness, how in a way, Gloucester is more tragic than Lear because he is actually PHYSICALLY blinded, the theme of age and legitimacy as well as young and old. I used the "nothing" quotes, "pelican daughters", "robbes and furs hide all" <- to compare how Lear becomes unblind...I feel like my essay was shambles! I just stuffed it all in there, but hopefully there's a good line of argument in there somewhere, I was more comparing Gloucester to Lear-but I didn't even have a Gloucester quote apart from the "there was good sport in his making" ARGH. Anyway! Still, I hope I did the right thing.

For Volpone and Paradise Lost I did Question 8, power and corruption, and I basically contrasted the characters of Satan and Mosca and their quest of power leads to corruption...with Satan already being corrupted and Mosca becoming corrupt, I also focused on how Milton and Jonson essentially corrupt us with words and effectively make us 'fall' with the cast. I also spoke of how in Paradise Lost it is more through TEMPTATION that you become corrupt and in Volpone it's through power...is this right though? I don't even know myself anymore! And I know the texts off by heart haha.

I'm aiming for an A in the exam, I got an A at AS last year but my coursework brought me down to a B because the grade boundaries had gone up...I have a BBB from Edinburgh to study English Literature (I got really lucky) and overall I need a B. So, does this sound about right for a good paper? Or have I completely fluked it?

I too done the King Lear question on Gloucester. It's interesting to see different views. My points were that: 1) They are equal in the sense that both were tricked by their children, however Goneril's trickery was more tragic as she was a woman whereas Edmund was expected to be deceptive as an illigetimate. 2) Similarly in the sense that they are both punished - Gloucester is blinded and Lear is mad. However Gloucester accepts his blinding and wants to die, whereas Lear continues fighting till the end. 3) Both equal in the sense they have a redeeming child which makes their life less tragic, but Cordelia's death sends the play into the abyss of tragedy. I basically threw anything I knew in there, any A03/A04 that popped up in my head I wrote
Original post by Cest la vie
so you still need to get an A overall in AS, so a B could never be brought up by 100% in A2 to bring it to an A*?

Depending on the B, it could - EG if you get 100% overall and got 60% at AS you could still get an A*, because your overall average would be 80%, plus you would have scored (obvs) over 90% at A2
Reply 431
Did anyone compare the Rivals to William Blake's poetry in Section B?
Original post by Aranel
Enobarbus was a feared topic for my set! I wanted either Antony or Cleopatra ideally in a character question so actually quite happy!

My conclusion was rather similar - the degradation of Antony due to Cleopatra's interference and how the audience would respond to the conflict in Antony's character - duty vs. pleasure. I optionally spent less time on Section A - Section B with the comparisons is more time consuming for me! My argument was on similar lines though, so reassured that I wrote something right :smile:

Good luck for results!

Ahh relieved that I wasn't the only one who made that argument - the quote was quite a difficult one to relate the question to! I found the comparisons quite time-consuming, but kind of got carried away with section A - I am reassured that I wrote enough for B though, which texts did you do? Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 433
Ahh relieved that I wasn't the only one who made that argument - the quote was quite a difficult one to relate the question to! I found the comparisons quite time-consuming, but kind of got carried away with section A - I am reassured that I wrote enough for B though, which texts did you do? Good luck to you too! :smile:

Tis Pity and the Wife of Bath :smile: you?

The quote was difficult yet I guess it allows greater interpretation which can only be a good thing in English exams!
Did anyone talk about Magic and Wonder for The Tempest?

I really regret choosing that question now...
Original post by Aranel

The quote was difficult yet I guess it allows greater interpretation which can only be a good thing in English exams!

i did those texts too - what section B question did you pick?
Original post by Aranel

Marvell and Volpone - so relieved I never have to read that revolting play again! Yes, and there's only about 5 marks for actually answering the question correctly, so hopefully I didn't lose too many :smile: How did you find the B questions were for your texts?
Reply 437
Original post by Cest la vie
i did those texts too - what section B question did you pick?

Danger and love (can't remember the exact wording) as I had relevant quotes for it. Most in my class did the pleasure question even though we all wanted women the "language" aspect of the question put most off.

You?
Reply 438
Original post by aisha302

Original post by tommoxham

Hi guys, I do WOB and Rivals too, really worried about my AO1 though. I did the question on pursuit of pleasure, and its consequences (with a quote on forbidden pleasure I think):

My points were: pursuit of money as a pleasure (consequence which is just obtaining money), pursuit of equality (men and women, class, old/young) consequence being sometimes successful(?), and the last one about the pursuit of the freedom from literature.

Do you think my points are pertinent to the question?
Reply 439
Marvell and Volpone - so relieved I never have to read that revolting play again! Yes, and there's only about 5 marks for actually answering the question correctly, so hopefully I didn't lose too many :smile: How did you find the B questions were for your texts?

Ah quite good! Not as good as Section A but I think I managed to write a good enough answer :smile: How was Marvell and Volpone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending