The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Better
In reality, that's how school is supposed to be done...

If you learn like that you will just excel at University level. Most of my Friends at University, who aren't actually passionate about there subject (basically non-oxbridge/imperial) suddenly start to under perform and lose motivation.

I like your passion bro!

It's not really worth going to uni and doing a degree if you're not passionate about your subject imo.

Thanks, I'm sure you'll excel at uni yourself :wink:
When you do integration by substitution - the green c4 book does du/dx but the black book does dx/du - can someone explain why is this?
Reply 2122
Original post by m4ths/maths247
I think Elmwood papers are good for tough algebraic manipulation and tricky calculus. I think other papers are, in general, better for wordy questions.
Just an observation.
I still think doing topic tests is a good option for some students.
I don't see a lot of value (beyond knowing what UMS you would have achieved) of doing past papers all the time especially if you are not too hot on one topic yet find others easy.
Doing implicit differentiation on paper after paper, IMO, is wasted time if you know how to do it yet lose 5 marks on every differential equation.
If you do Edexcel your teacher will have the topic tests/past paper questions for each section of each module.

Could you maybe do a revision playlist for FP2 on your channel i find your work very beneficial keep up the good work
Smith
Reply 2123
Can someone give a step by step method of how to integrate to get the area of a section bounded by a curve (given in parametrics) and a tangent?

For example part d of this question:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370538990.977718.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2124
does anyone have those topic questions from maths net?
Reply 2125
Scared for C4 :frown:
Original post by smith50
Could you maybe do a revision playlist for FP2 on your channel i find your work very beneficial keep up the good work
Smith

Hi
Thanks.
All the playlists are on my site under videos.
Hi
Thanks.
All the playlists are on my site under videos.

I joined a Further Maths class today (transfered from doing AS and A2 maths separately). We were doing C4 revision and it was quite refreshing :biggrin:.
Original post by reubenkinara
I joined a Further Maths class today (transfered from doing AS and A2 maths separately). We were doing C4 revision and it was quite refreshing :biggrin:.

C4 is great for FP2 in terms of the calculus.
It's often tricky to get all the calculus in before you meet it in FP2.
C4 is great for FP2 in terms of the calculus.
It's often tricky to get all the calculus in before you meet it in FP2.

Thanks. What modules do you do videos on?
I ask, as your site will be very useful when self-studying (well I guess you'll be teaching :biggrin: ) some modules over the summer/next yr.
Original post by reubenkinara
Thanks. What modules do you do videos on?
I ask, as your site will be very useful when self-studying (well I guess you'll be teaching :biggrin: ) some modules over the summer/next yr.

C1-C4
FP1/2
D1/S1/M1

I will only be teaching Core and 2 applied next year at school. :smile:
C1-C4
FP1/2
D1/S1/M1

I will only be teaching Core and 2 applied next year at school. :smile:

Nice. The FP1,2 and D1 will be useful.
I like the recent revision videos you've been doing!
Reply 2132
x

hi

can edexcel give a question which is harder than the questions in the extension questions in the oxford and the other big c3c4 textbook?
Original post by AHarris
Can someone give a step by step method of how to integrate to get the area of a section bounded by a curve (given in parametrics) and a tangent?

For example part d of this question:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370538990.977718.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember doing the question, I'm 99.9% certain the answer in the back of the book is wrong
Original post by pepeeglesfield
I remember doing the question, I'm 99.9% certain the answer in the back of the book is wrong

Agreed :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InadequateJusticex
When you do integration by substitution - the green c4 book does du/dx but the black book does dx/du - can someone explain why is this?

pretty sure you would do du/dx as you are given a term that u is equal to in terms of x, hence you differentiate with respect to x
Original post by Tennisisthesport

don't want to sound big headed but I can't fault my method, and my friend got the exact same answer so I concluded the book was wrong + they're not the most reliable things in the world, riddled with mistakes!
Original post by pepeeglesfield
don't want to sound big headed but I can't fault my method, and my friend got the exact same answer so I concluded the book was wrong + they're not the most reliable things in the world, riddled with mistakes!

Yh we used the fp3 book in the same series at school and between us we were always coming up with mistakes in the answers :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kronca
hi

can edexcel give a question which is harder than the questions in the extension questions in the oxford and the other big c3c4 textbook?

I think I'm right, although people can correct me if I'm wrong - Edexcel will never give a question with harder Maths, you will always have the skills to solve the questions if you can do the questions in the textbook, but they sometimes ask questions in a different context or style to confuse. Some people find this harder as they have to apply knowledge or wrap their head around the question instead of just applying a set method they have learnt. You should be able to do the questions though :smile:
Original post by Tennisisthesport
Yh we used the fp3 book in the same series at school and between us we were always coming up with mistakes in the answers :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha it's ridiculous !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending