The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology B4B5B6 - 10/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Does anyone here know what the A* raw mark boundary usually is for triple science? Percentage of total marks is fine too.
Original post by andersson
Does anyone here know what the A* raw mark boundary usually is for triple science? Percentage of total marks is fine too.

I'd say 65% :lol: I know it's low... But that's what it has been..
Reply 362
Original post by L'Evil Fish

SWEET
Original post by Lucien23
SWEET

This is the max ish for all papers:

B123 and P123 were a lot lower last year...

C123 was a bit higher...

BXCXPX have all be a little below...

So, yeah :wink:

I'd say 60 is a guaranteed A*, no matter what I think the way it's been going... But.more likely lower
Reply 364

For the whole course?! As in C/A and two exams.
Original post by andersson
For the whole course?! As in C/A and two exams.

Raw marks...

UMS is always 90%...

360/400

But in terms of raw marks that is about:
Unit 1: 50/75
Unit 2: 55/85
Unit 3: 42/48

I'd say... Max
Reply 366
Raw marks...

UMS is always 90%...

360/400

I'd say... Max

sounds about right
Reply 367
Raw marks...

UMS is always 90%...

360/400

I'd say... Max

That's 70% raw marks! Nice. I hope you're right.
It says in my revision guide that a high CO2 concentration is detected by receptors in the carotid artery which sends a nerve impulse to the brain, which sends another signal to increase the rate of breathing... Out of interest, is the hypothalamus gland (involved in homeostasis) responsible for sending the signal to increase rate of breathing? And does the signal directly affect the heart or does it send a signal for the pacemakers to make the heart pump faster? :smile:

I'm probably being very curious or pedantic :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
It says in my revision guide that a high CO2 concentration is detected by receptors in the carotid artery which sends a nerve impulse to the brain, which sends another signal to increase the rate of breathing... Out of interest, is the hypothalamus gland (involved in homeostasis) responsible for sending the signal to increase rate of breathing? And does the signal directly affect the heart or does it send a signal for the pacemakers to make the heart pump faster? :smile:

I'm probably being very curious or pedantic :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

where is this!?
Original post by NatashaG
where is this!?

It is in the Carbon Dioxide Concentration section in my book- the topic just before it is about kidneys/dialysis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is in the Carbon Dioxide Concentration section in my book- the topic just before it is about kidneys/dialysis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm are you sure that is the same syllabus? there is nothing in my book about carbon dioxide concentration except that we breath out co2 :P the topic after the kidneys in my book is reproduction haha :P
If it is in the OCR gateway syllabus I'm screwed :L
hmm are you sure that is the same syllabus? there is nothing in my book about carbon dioxide concentration except that we breath out co2 :P the topic after the kidneys in my book is reproduction haha :P
If it is in the OCR gateway syllabus I'm screwed :L

It should be in your revision guide- try the index :tongue:
It's a really small section though; here's the section in it from my revision guide...
Edit: sorry about the rotation, I attached it from my phone :colondollar: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370545633.040278.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
It's about 41/85 for an A
It should be in your revision guide- try the index :tongue:
It's a really small section though; here's the section in it from my revision guide...
Edit: sorry about the rotation, I attached it from my phone :colondollar: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370545633.040278.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looked all over my book, I only have the lonsdale ones and there was nothing about co2 concentration, I guess it's pretty straight froward though, ah I hate how different books have different information, it's ridiculous :L
Looked all over my book, I only have the lonsdale ones and there was nothing about co2 concentration, I guess it's pretty straight froward though, ah I hate how different books have different information, it's ridiculous :L

Yeah, it can be annoying- for example, it said in my revision guide that sand particles were smaller than clay particles when it's actually the opposite (I asked a friend who had a CGP book) :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it can be annoying- for example, it said in my revision guide that sand particles were smaller than clay particles when it's actually the opposite (I asked a friend who had a CGP book) :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think out best bet is to look at criteria sheets!

http://www.docbrown.info/page20/ocrgateway0indexB.htm

This site is the best! has all the criteria sheets bullet pointed and easy to understand :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey this says what we need to know in terms of carbon dioxide concentration :smile:

Be able to explain why carbon dioxide must be removed from the body, limited to the toxic effect of high levels.

HT only: Be able to explain how the body responds to increased carbon dioxide levels in the blood:

detected by the brain

increased rate of breathing results.

I think out best bet is to look at criteria sheets!

http://www.docbrown.info/page20/ocrgateway0indexB.htm

This site is the best! has all the criteria sheets bullet pointed and easy to understand :smile:

Nice, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey this says what we need to know in terms of carbon dioxide concentration :smile:

Be able to explain why carbon dioxide must be removed from the body, limited to the toxic effect of high levels.

HT only: Be able to explain how the body responds to increased carbon dioxide levels in the blood:

detected by the brain

increased rate of breathing results.

Hmm...so I guess we don't need too much of a complex explanation :smile:

By the way, I also have the Lonsdale book for biology and co2 concentration was on page 92 I think :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply