Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by aisha302
I was just worrying about the same thing

Oh wells :frown:

Aw no! :frown:
Surely ocr aren't THAT horrible though...we'll have to hope haha
Original post by Aranel
Danger and love (can't remember the exact wording) as I had relevant quotes for it. Most in my class did the pleasure question even though we all wanted women the "language" aspect of the question put most off.

You?

Yeah I did the pleasure one too - i am worried i completely went off topic - especially with WOB as it does not relate to pleasure much! :s-smilie:
Reply 442
Original post by Cest la vie
Yeah I did the pleasure one too - i am worried i completely went off topic - especially with WOB as it does not relate to pleasure much! :s-smilie:

I did that question, but had Rivals as my other text instead of Tis a pity. Points on pleasure I took as money, equality, and freedom from literary constraints - no idea if that is relevant to the question at all. Did you use the 'forbidden' bit?
Original post by Etoile
Oh lord same, I sat there staring like wat :lolwut: But I did the hope/suffering one in the end and I think it was ok.

I actually planned both cause I couldn't decide which I felt more confident with!
Reply 444

Ah! Whilst there wasn't much relating to pleasure in WOB compared to Tis Pity I would surmise that many people would have done exactly the same as you as you would have had to slightly derail from pleasure but I think the themes are roughly similar in WOB. As long as there was an eventual link to the question you should be fine :smile:
Reply 445
Original post by Alex360
I too done the King Lear question on Gloucester. It's interesting to see different views. My points were that: 1) They are equal in the sense that both were tricked by their children, however Goneril's trickery was more tragic as she was a woman whereas Edmund was expected to be deceptive as an illigetimate. 2) Similarly in the sense that they are both punished - Gloucester is blinded and Lear is mad. However Gloucester accepts his blinding and wants to die, whereas Lear continues fighting till the end. 3) Both equal in the sense they have a redeeming child which makes their life less tragic, but Cordelia's death sends the play into the abyss of tragedy. I basically threw anything I knew in there, any A03/A04 that popped up in my head I wrote

That's such a good answer! Definitely sounds like A* grade potential, I'm so mad I ran out of time, I had such a wicked conclusion planned in analyzing Edmund's final lines of "the oldest hathe borne most" but was only about to scramble it in the end bit being like "and this is reminiscent of both Lear and Gloucester's situations throughout the play. Argh. I still hope I managed for an A though!

Yours sounds really good, are you planning on doing it in uni?
Original post by medicdude
I did that question, but had Rivals as my other text instead of Tis a pity. Points on pleasure I took as money, equality, and freedom from literary constraints - no idea if that is relevant to the question at all. Did you use the 'forbidden' bit?

i took pleasure as incest(in tis pity), rape, freedom from male dominance
i mentioned forbidden at the end and related to adam and eve which both relate to
Reply 447
Original post by karnipa
That's such a good answer! Definitely sounds like A* grade potential, I'm so mad I ran out of time, I had such a wicked conclusion planned in analyzing Edmund's final lines of "the oldest hathe borne most" but was only about to scramble it in the end bit being like "and this is reminiscent of both Lear and Gloucester's situations throughout the play. Argh. I still hope I managed for an A though!

Yours sounds really good, are you planning on doing it in uni?

Ah thanks, you're too kind but I've never got an A* not even in practice...with the book wide open...with critics in front of me lol. Yeah the timing was tricky, because we've never actually tried a two hour exam and naturally we'll have more to write for one section than the other. Yours sounded good too, and nope I'm doing it at uni, I'm not sure I like English I just happened to be good at it when I was younger so stuck with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aranel
Ah! Whilst there wasn't much relating to pleasure in WOB compared to Tis Pity I would surmise that many people would have done exactly the same as you as you would have had to slightly derail from pleasure but I think the themes are roughly similar in WOB. As long as there was an eventual link to the question you should be fine :smile:

I really hope so, I did have a link to WOB but worry it was not strong enough! :s-smilie:
wish i had picked the power one now!
really need an A! :s-smilie:
Reply 449
I really hope so, I did have a link to WOB but worry it was not strong enough! :s-smilie:
wish i had picked the power one now!
really need an A! :s-smilie:

English Literature is such a subjective exam often you surprise yourself on results day. I'm hoping for an A in this exam and I think I did relatively okay, still have little inconsequential doubts though. I wish you luck and I hope you get that A :smile:
Reply 450
Original post by garyheehee
Did anyone talk about Magic and Wonder for The Tempest?

I really regret choosing that question now...

LOL I did that, it was a really weird question!
Original post by garyheehee
Does that mean the grade boundaries for A* will be lower too?
Or is A* always 90% UMS regardless?

Sorry for the late reply but yes, the A* is always 90% UMS for the A2.
Reply 452
Original post by pinksugar
I actually planned both cause I couldn't decide which I felt more confident with!

That's actually a good idea :lol:

Original post by loni
I mentioned the chalked outline of the kingdom then of Lear and Cordelia's body on the stage hahaha. The fool was brilliant in it I thought!

I thought that was really good symbolism! He was pretty good but the voice was annoying, and Cordelia was annoying too haha, I just talked a bit about the storm scene and how it was like physical pain and compared it to another performance I'd seen and the Peter Brook film adaptation
Original post by Aranel
English Literature is such a subjective exam often you surprise yourself on results day. I'm hoping for an A in this exam and I think I did relatively okay, still have little inconsequential doubts though. I wish you luck and I hope you get that A :smile:

thank you - i am sure you did really well too!
lets just pray we get an examiner who agrees with our points!!
an a* seems impossible this year!!
Reply 454
Original post by JackS94
Well...I royally f***ed that up :bricks:

Guess I'm taking an involuntary gap year next year...

What questions did you pick? -Sorry if you've already answered this and I haven't read it!!
Reply 455
Original post by Emmester
What questions did you pick? -Sorry if you've already answered this and I haven't read it!!

I chose the appalling suffering for Lear, and the Power and Corruption for TWD and PL - my structure was so bad though I might as well have not even had a title...:frown:

What ones did you choose/How was it?? :smile:
Reply 456
Original post by HibbsicleBean19
I'm going to be honest I absolutely loved that exam!
Thought the questions on King Lear were nice - I did the 'Gloucester is no less of a tragic figure than his king' question,
and for TWOB and Tis Pity I did 'Forbidden Pleasures are the best' :biggrin:
only problem, my hand hurts because I wrote 20 pages... awks

Oh my god! How did you manage to write so many pages?!
I did the Gloucester question too found it nice too! Sort of what I was expecting for the Lear questions anyway!!
Reply 457
Original post by JackS94
I chose the appalling suffering for Lear, and the Power and Corruption for TWD and PL - my structure was so bad though I might as well have not even had a title...:frown:

What ones did you choose/How was it?? :smile:

Do you mean the Gloucester one?! I picked the same for Section B, originally I was going to go for the women one but then re-read it and said about women's language not the women themselves.

I actually found it better than I thought as I was panicking all day, I attempted a structured plan and probably rambled on quite a bit! But my conclusion was horrible for both as I didn't really know how to summarise except from saying yes. haha -which obviously I didn't do!

I'm sure you didn't do as badly as you thought? Everyone else on here doesn't seem too pleased either....
Reply 458
Oh my god! How did you manage to write so many pages?!
I did the Gloucester question too found it nice too! Sort of what I was expecting for the Lear questions anyway!!

I thought writing 19 pages was bad. Until I heard my friend wrote 21 pages...with 25 minutes to spare. She's a beast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 459
Do you mean the Gloucester one?! I picked the same for Section B, originally I was going to go for the women one but then re-read it and said about women's language not the women themselves.

I actually found it better than I thought as I was panicking all day, I attempted a structured plan and probably rambled on quite a bit! But my conclusion was horrible for both as I didn't really know how to summarise except from saying yes. haha -which obviously I didn't do!

I'm sure you didn't do as badly as you thought? Everyone else on here doesn't seem too pleased either....

Did you mention the consequences of the pursuit of pleasure? How did you analyse those? also, what were your points?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending