The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GCSE-help
Also there's great news for a lot of people on here. Both mechanisms will be accepted because it says 'suggest the mechanism' and the flame test for the compound will also be accepted (the very end of that question) :smile:

How do you know about the flame test?
Original post by samsimmons
I thought this was harder than Jan 13 which was 77. Full ums will probably be between 74-77 I reckon. So you are definitely in with a shot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah and also aren't Jan papers resit papers? So grade boundaries will be maybe higher than usual?
it still says other than heating or acid..you still use heat in a flame test. I take 'other than' as NOT with heat or acid? despite that i think i got 70.
Original post by dyingbreed
it still says other than heating or acid..you still use heat in a flame test. I take 'other than' as NOT with heat or acid? despite that i think i got 70.

I think it just means not the heat or acid test, as they were in the two previous questions before it.
Confusing wording though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My thoughts exactly; how can they give marks for using a flame test when it says "without heat", the whole concept behind a flame test is to use heat to excite electrons. Madness!
Original post by HarryMWilliams
How do you know about the flame test?

From the general context of the question. Also them mentioning 'no acid' also rules out the other option. There is like no other test in the spec you can use :redface:
From the general context of the question. Also them mentioning 'no acid' also rules out the other option. There is like no other test in the spec you can use :redface:

Mm, I still can't understand how a question which would accept a heat-based test can state "without heat" in the stem.

I look forward to the mark scheme, when it's eventually released.
Reply 1687
From the general context of the question. Also them mentioning 'no acid' also rules out the other option. There is like no other test in the spec you can us
For the magnesium and barium carbonate question..... If I put the flame test for the above part of the question and thermal decomposition for the bottom part of the question... do you think I would get the marks?
Reply 1688
For the magnesium and barium carbonate question..... If I put the flame test for the above part of the question and thermal decomposition for the bottom part of the question... do you think I would get the marks?
Reply 1689
Mm, I still can't understand how a question which would accept a heat-based test can state "without heat" in the stem.

I look forward to the mark scheme, when it's eventually released.

or you could react them with ammonium sulfate, giving a barium sulfate precipitate again? (other test question). but is this a standardized test?
Original post by Meehar17

If you spoke about thermal decomposition in a question that specifically stated "without heat" then it's unlikely. Although I imagine the flame test you spoke about in the first test question would be credit worthy.
[QUOTE="Meehar17;43016138"]
From the general context of the question. Also them mentioning 'no acid' also rules out the other option. There is like no other test in the spec you can us

I have a feeling you might do :smile:

I remember in an Edexcel Physics exam before, they made a really dodgy two-part question which could be interpreted in many ways. So in the mark scheme, they combined both parts and the MS said 'any three from...' giving a list of options for BOTH questions combined (even though in the exam they were two different parts).
Reply 1693
what are the answer to question 6,10,15 and 16
(edited 10 years ago)
or you could react them with ammonium sulfate, giving a barium sulfate precipitate again? (other test question). but is this a standardized test?

Nope it's not. Theoretically it is correct but then you could have so many different odd tests which are theoretically valid but impractical or not in the spec.
Nope it's not. Theoretically it is correct but then you could have so many different odd tests which are theoretically valid but impractical or not in the spec.

is the use of limewater in the above section okay? from heating
is the use of limewater in the above section okay? from heating

For which part? Best answer IMO is:

1) Thermal decomposition for the first part.
2) Flame test for the second part.

But I'm not certain and I could be wrong :smile:
For which part? Best answer IMO is:

1) Thermal decomposition for the first part.
2) Flame test for the second part.

But I'm not certain and I could be wrong :smile:

as in thermal decomposition then additional limewater? or how would you tell one has decomposed? a clear gas?
Reply 1698
Original post by Meehar17
what are the answer to question 6,10,15 and 16

Hi
I got B D A B respectively :smile:
Not sure if it's correct though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1699
If you spoke about thermal decomposition in a question that specifically stated "without heat" then it's unlikely. Although I imagine the flame test you spoke about in the first test question would be credit worthy.

but when they said without heat, I would imagined they meant that you can't use the above test in this question as that required heat :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending