The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Does it matter if I didn't do a conclusion for the statins/aspirin question?
Reply 921
[QUOTE="Sophsha;43015472"]Hopefully everyone flopped and grade boundaries are low so we all get a* yayyy[/QUOTE

Yeah I really hope so..thought the exam was sooo difficult compared to the ones in prevous years.. they missed out so many topics and just included many graph questions..it didn't test our biology knowledge at all in my opinion.
Reply 922
For the synapse question, how does the neuron pass the synapse? i put electrical impulses. but some people put chemicals are released so i hope the mark scheme will allow my answer. i also ticked the second box for the pyramid of biomass, i wrote exercise and proportion of muscle to fat affects the metabolic rate. i put the woman is 77 years old. i reallyyyy hope the grade boundaries are low because the paper was tooooo long! 9 questions! Normally its 7 or 8! i think to get an A* you'll need atleast 38/39 marks out of 60.
Reply 923
Original post by qudsia
For the synapse question, how does the neuron pass the synapse? i put electrical impulses. but some people put chemicals are released so i hope the mark scheme will allow my answer. i also ticked the second box for the pyramid of biomass, i wrote exercise and proportion of muscle to fat affects the metabolic rate. i put the woman is 77 years old. i reallyyyy hope the grade boundaries are low because the paper was tooooo long! 9 questions! Normally its 7 or 8! i think to get an A* you'll need atleast 38/39 marks out of 60.

I put that chemicals are diffused across the gap, but don't stress too much it was only a mark I think.
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
Mate i agree with you but i also agree that this was not a evaluation question it was recommending the drug you chose with benifits and saying why chose it giving your own opinion.

evaluation questions structure:

pro's(advantages) (2)
con's(disadvantages) (2)
conclusion (1)
opinion (1)

That's a good structure, but that's kind of what the old spec went for. I agree with the opinion, but this was mainly supposed to be supporting your argument - my teacher said that you should only really have done for arguments in favour of the one you chose. I mean, I personally did the con, but then I twisted it round so it supported my argument. And I don't think they give a mark for conclusion, but they might... y teachers aren't examiners at the end of the day
Reply 925
[QUOTE="ADT666;43015795"]
Original post by Sophsha
Hopefully everyone flopped and grade boundaries are low so we all get a* yayyy[/QUOTE

Yeah I really hope so..thought the exam was sooo difficult compared to the ones in prevous years.. they missed out so many topics and just included many graph questions..it didn't test our biology knowledge at all in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more! I think the test was good for people who didnt revise as it was all vague questions and graph interpretation. I think you could maybe get a c/d with very little revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 926
Original post by qudsia

hi unfortunately the synapse Q is chemical through diffusion. Also the third box is the biomass one since it asked for JUNE. and 77 is correcto, and many year 10s found it very difficult, so i think A* is 40/41
Reply 927
Original post by Bambie33

you only drop 1 mark out of 5, so still 4/5 marks is pretty good
Reply 928
I agree the paper just seemed like aqa examiners took very little interest and created the paper last minute by adding very confusing questions!
Reply 929
Exactly the answers I put! However I added 5 years on so I got 87 :frown: silly mistake
Original post by Bambie33

No, you don't gain a mark for conclusions in the new specification, unlike the old specification. If you put, like myself, it's just a bit of a waste of time if i'm honest. I regret doing it. I should've focused on other questions than messing about doing a conclusion.
Reply 931
Didn't it say give your opinion?
Original post by Deux
No, Lamarck believed that desirable characteristics were developed over a lifetime and then passed on to the next generation.

Why would the answer be Darwin if the very next question began, "Darwin proposed the theory of natural selection"?

Fab !
Reply 933
[QUOTE="js171;43016953"]
Original post by ADT666

Couldn't agree more! I think the test was good for people who didnt revise as it was all vague questions and graph interpretation. I think you could maybe get a c/d with very little revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly and I just feel that all the hard work and revising was just a big waste of time and anyone can pass this test so long as they can read a graph WHICH I CANT! I revised cloning menstrual cycle Gm crops IVF illegal drugs and NON IF IT CAME UP..my bio teacher is going to hate me because I have a very slim chance of getting a A in this exam..feel so annoyed with AQA they could have put more effort into the questions!!
Reply 934
[QUOTE="ADT666;43017793"]
Original post by js171

Exactly and I just feel that all the hard work and revising was just a big waste of time and anyone can pass this test so long as they can read a graph WHICH I CANT! I revised cloning menstrual cycle Gm crops IVF illegal drugs and NON IF IT CAME UP..my bio teacher is going to hate me because I have a very slim chance of getting a A in this exam..feel so annoyed with AQA they could have put more effort into the questions!!

Agreeeeeeeeedddd!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by taz1996
hi unfortunately the synapse Q is chemical through diffusion. Also the third box is the biomass one since it asked for JUNE. and 77 is correcto, and many year 10s found it very difficult, so i think A* is 40/41

when did it say june wtf
Reply 936
What did everyone put for the question about why tissue culture is better than taking cuttings?
Original post by ADT666
What did everyone put for the question about why tissue culture is better than taking cuttings?

Produces a lot more plants / more yield ?
Reply 938
Original post by shibucool
Produces a lot more plants / more yield ?

YES that's what I put!! :smile:
Original post by ADT666
YES that's what I put!! :smile:

Did you put the first box for the pyramid of biomass question?