The Student Room Group

D2 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arsey
well technically = as you will deliver all your stock to meet the demand.

However, you will get away with <= on all transportation questions.

Original post by Miken Moose
Okay... I've just noticed something glaringly obvious which should settle this. First, this is the solution laid out by example 12 page 27:

Let
Unparseable latex formula:

x_i_j

be the number of units transported from ii to jj.

Minimise

C = 3x_1_1 + 3x_1_2 + 2x_1_3 + 4x_2_1 + 2x_2_2 + 3x_2_3 + 3x_3_1 + 4x_3_2 + 3x_3_3

Subject to:

x_1_1 + x_1_2 + x_1_3 \leq 25

x_2_1 + x_2_2 + x_2_3 \leq 40

x_3_1 + x_3_2 + x_3_3 \leq 31

x_1_1 + x_2_1 + x_3_1 \leq 30

x_1_2 + x_2_2 + x_3_2 \leq 30

x_1_3 + x_2_3 + x_3_3 \leq 36

x_i_j \geq 0

Okay? So, why don't I just set all the

x_i_j = 0

? This satisfies all constraints and clearly gives the minimum value of C.

Unless of course, I'm missing something (which for me is quite likely).

Thanks. Also, about the question above, say you had an unbalanced problem, then setting xij=0 seems to be the best solution when this obviously isn't the case. Do you know why that is?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 441
Original post by brittanna
Thanks. Also, about the question above, say you had an unbalanced problem, then setting xij=0 seems to be the best solution when this obviously isn't the case. Do you know why that is?

Xij is the amount you are transporting from (factory) i to (shop) j

You wouldn't have a very good business if you didn't transport anything!

If the supply is enough you have to satisfy the demand and you are trying to minimise the costs of doing that. You cannot just say I am going to minimise my costs by not delivering anything to anyone.
Reply 442
Original post by Mallika
Hi Arsey, could you please explain this?

So say you have 3 lines on the well graph for each strategy for B.

If the best mixed strategy for A is where B1 and B2 meet and if B knows that A
is playing the best mixed strategy then there is no point B playing 3 as he will lose more (or gain less); therefore you can delete column B3 from the game which reduces it to a 2x2 matrix
Reply 443
Original post by RYRK
ok , i got a quick question, when writing a maximizing allocation problem as a linear progamming problem, u first transform the matrix and then continue as normal, so would the objective be to maximise or minimise, i looked on the example of the book on page 55 , and this one is minimising and i am not sure it it is right?
once transformed you are looking to minimise.
Original post by Arsey

If the supply is enough you have to satisfy the demand and you are trying to minimise the costs of doing that. You cannot just say I am going to minimise my costs by not delivering anything to anyone.

But say you used simplex to solve it, would it not give Xij=0 as the optimal solution?
Reply 445
Original post by Arsey
So say you have 3 lines on the well graph for each strategy for B.

If the best mixed strategy for A is where B1 and B2 meet and if B knows that A
is playing the best mixed strategy then there is no point B playing 3 as he will lose more (or gain less); therefore you can delete column B3 from the game which reduces it to a 2x2 matrix

Thank you :smile:
Reply 446
Original post by brittanna
But say you used simplex to solve it, would it not give Xij=0 as the optimal solution?

you don't use simplex to solve transportation problems.

you only solve max problems using simplex in current spec D2
Reply 447
Original post by Lilmzbest
As far as i remember one of the arrows was in the wrong direction (which you can see by applying flow conservation) and this gave a completely wrong answer :confused: chances are that your answer is correct :smile:

Original post by Hamburglar
I'm not looking at it right now, but beware that mark schemes for mock papers and practice papers are generally very wrong. I do recall remembering that the mark scheme was wrong when labelling some arrows on one of those papers.

Yes possibly, June 2008 was part of the current spec as far as I know. It is pretty much the same idea anyway, so I don't see why they couldn't ask. Although I can't say I remember being asked to use Prim's, usually they ask you to use Kruskal's but either way, you should be comfortable with both.

As you're filling the table in, if supply and demand are satisfied at the same time, you can either go across one and put the 0 in the cell, then move down. Or, go down and put the 0 in that cell, and move along one. Basically in the diagonal you have, you want to put the zero in one of the spaces where normally you'd expect a number.

Technically you can actually put it anywhere, but it's best to stick to the rule of moving along and downwards only.

64 if I am not mistaken

:smile:

Original post by Arsey
probably, there were quite a few errors on the mock paper.

Thanks guys:smile:
Reply 448
Original post by Arsey

So if supply and demand are met then you use equalities in the constraints and if supply is greater than demand you use inequalities?
Reply 449
GOOD LUCK ANYONE WHO'S READING THIS! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let the posts begin.

Who managed to finish Dynamic Programming? If so; what value did you get for the end? and did you end up with keep keep keep replace?
arsey have you got a model answer for this exam yet?
Reply 452
someone please give me answers
Reply 453
the last question was a bugger, hated it, well there goes my A , that question was really different from the ones from the past papers , most people who finished it at my school got around 32000
Reply 454
linear programming. How was it done?
I got 32000 but keep keep replace keep I think!
Original post by RYRK
the last question was a bugger, hated it, well there goes my A , that question was really different from the ones from the past papers , most people who finished it at my school got around 32000

I got 29000
Original post by bowersbros
I got 29000

I got keep keep replace keep with 29000, but I think it is probably 32000.
Reply 458
I got keep keep replace keep, got £31,000

I forgot to add the value when the bikes are sold at the end...
Reply 459
How was the linear programming question done where u had to maximise the values?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending