The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FLLF
Wtf was 7c on about? I just ended up restating the velocity of the 3rd particle

It asked about P (not Q) and R
P had its own velocity from the first part
Also I wrote 20, drew a graph and everything to prove it but chickened out and crossed it out as it was in the calculus area :frown:
Oh have pity on me and see through my scribbling out.

Do you think they actually meant to type Minimum?
Reply 522
Original post by InditeHarry
It asked about P (not Q) and R
P had its own velocity from the first part

Oh well... Still, we should expect low grade boundaries right?
Reply 523
For 7c I did the value of velocity of 3rd particle - the velocity of the 1st (which was negative). As for 3b, I worked out the velocity as 4.5, but crossed it out once i realised 20 was larger. But thought it was a stupid question. For the COM I had a load of root 3's kicking about, though I cant remember my final answer. For the question that wanted a/b, I think I got 2/3 but why were there so many high level questions in one paper? normally you get one tough one on each but at least 3 questions were of the highest level of that topic. Madness.
Reply 524
Original post by FLLF
I did the same, ended up just crossing everything out and putting 20... There didnt seem to be a logical method

just writing 20 would not score you 5 marks. the rest of the marks were for checking the minimum point was not greater than 20
Reply 525
any guess at grade boundaires; harder than june 2012???
Just so you're all aware that the paper was a replacement due to the original paper being leaked:

http://www.edexcel.com/Aboutus/press-room/Pages/june13-gcemaths-replacepapers.aspx

I thought it was pretty out of touch with any standard M2 paper; i mean - the hexagon for the centre of mass? There's never been anything very similar in any past papers.

Found the integration question difficult too.

Also thought it was just really very peculiar to ask to find a/b for the moments question? Sorry what? Why not just a in terms of b?

Probably dropped about 20 marks right off the bat.

I do think it was considerably harder than the infamous January 2004 paper, which had these boundaries:
UMS: 100' 90' 80' 70' 60' 50' 40'
Raw mark: 64 57 50 43 37 31 25

so all hope is not lost...
Just a shame that I felt like I was so ready for it and then got put off in the end.
Going to have to annihilate C4!

Also C4 will be a replacement paper as well so perhaps we can be looking forward to a filthy exam a week tuesday as well
Reply 527
I guess the grade boundaries will be similar to June 2012 (64 for 90ums)
Original post by captainaesthetic
Just so you're all aware that the paper was a replacement due to the original paper being leaked:

http://www.edexcel.com/Aboutus/press-room/Pages/june13-gcemaths-replacepapers.aspx

I thought it was pretty out of touch with any standard M2 paper; i mean - the hexagon for the centre of mass? There's never been anything very similar in any past papers.

Also thought it was just really very peculiar to ask to find a/b for the moments question? Sorry what? Why not just a in terms of b?

I do think it was considerably harder than the infamous January 2004 paper, which had these boundaries:

Just a shame that I felt like I was so ready for it and then got put off in the end.

Also C4 will be a replacement paper as well so perhaps we can be looking forward to a filthy exam a week tuesday as well
I'm not leaving any of my remaining ones to chance if this is how the reserves could be like, just foul paper!
Reply 529
Original post by captainaesthetic

anyone know the answer for 6b?
Reply 530

Page not found error :s
Reply 532
Edexcel M2 exam today, I added two separate integrals which yielded the correct answer, but for some reason in the last 30 seconds i thought i did the limits wrong!!

So i *lightly* drew a big X through the correct working and answer

I then VERY QUICKLY wrote out new working out with the wrong limits, integrated both but stopped at the [square brackets] stage with the incorrect limits still there.

this question was 5 marks and i need an a*, what would i get for it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 533
Firstly,
Most students were unprepared as there have been no similar M2 past papers that included similar questions i.e the hexagon lamina
Secondly, Michael Gove is an idiot
Thirdly, why do edexcel make them 10x when they've been leaked.

I'm so annoyed, the mark i get in m2 won't reflect the work I put in but luckily I did S1 aswell so I can just use my S1 and M1 instead of my M2. yayy
I think I'll just about get 60 for this, depending on the MS really. Hoping this is at least scraping the A boundary.
Reply 535
the mark allocation was hilarious, question 2b for 5 marks? WTF?
Reply 536
It's ridiculous though, students are unprepared and that M2 paper was basically a Solomon press.
The best advice I can give Year 12 students is to maximise your AS ums marks otherwise byebye, or do S1 and M1 together.
last year june paper was 57 for an A, and 64 for 90 (A*)

im not even going to consider the A* for myself, but in comparison, i found this paper much, much harder than june 2012.

is it too optimistic to assume boundaries will be below 57 for 80ums?? (as seeing most ppl who posted had a fair few complaints, and most ppl on TSR are very hard working and intelligent?)
Original post by RnTf
the mark allocation was hilarious, question 2b for 5 marks? WTF?

I believe it was a mistake in that one, surely they wanted the minimum for that amount of marks?
Reply 539
Original post by Coral Reafs
last year june paper was 57 for an A, and 64 for 90 (A*)

im not even going to consider the A* for myself, but in comparison, i found this paper much, much harder than june 2012.

is it too optimistic to assume boundaries will be below 57 for 80ums?? (as seeing most ppl who posted had a fair few complaints, and most ppl on TSR are very hard working and intelligent?)

My initial opinion was that it could also be below 57 but im not sure it will go so low now as i felt i just suffered under exam stress more than anything even though i feel im capable :/ but theres always hope! No denying it was a hard paper though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending