The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PieSquare
It's ridiculous though, students are unprepared and that M2 paper was basically a Solomon press.
The best advice I can give Year 12 students is to maximise your AS ums marks otherwise byebye, or do S1 and M1 together.

What do you mean "S1 and M1 together"?
Reply 541
Original post by Anonymous1717
What do you mean "S1 and M1 together"?

Obviously you need your 4cores and then you can either do Mechanics 1&2 or Statistics 1&2. But you can also do Mechanics1 and Statistics 1 together which is equivalent to doing M1&M2 or S1&S2. I've done S1 M1 M2, so as like today M2 was really hard i can fall back on my S1
Original post by NLoR
My initial opinion was that it could also be below 57 but im not sure it will go so low now as i felt i just suffered under exam stress more than anything even though i feel im capable :/ but theres always hope! No denying it was a hard paper though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did u try out june 2012? im sure u wud have found it a whole lot easier than this one; yes its true june 2012 had its share of "odd" questions, however they were greater in proportion in june 2013.

Surely there were more places to drop marks in this paper than last years?...right?
Reply 543
Original post by Coral Reafs
Did u try out june 2012? im sure u wud have found it a whole lot easier than this one; yes its true june 2012 had its share of "odd" questions, however they were greater in proportion in june 2013.

Surely there were more places to drop marks in this paper than last years?...right?

I completely agree, June 2012 was fine compared to this. At least with June 012 there were previous exam questions similar to those in that paper but June 2013, in terms of the past papers I was doing, I was unprepared.
Obviously you need your 4cores and then you can either do Mechanics 1&2 or Statistics 1&2. But you can also do Mechanics1 and Statistics 1 together which is equivalent to doing M1&M2 or S1&S2. I've done S1 M1 M2, so as like today M2 was really hard i can fall back on my S1

Oh right yeah
Reply 545

Sure i did all the papers but i didnt auite do them in exam conditions sitting down for an hour and a half so i dont know whether or not the difficulty and exam stress would have made the paper any harder thats why im not sure about the relative boundaries - i would say that this is definitely more tricky than the majority of papers so i would expect a lower boundary than average. Personally i found jan2010 the hardest and this was harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 546
Original post by NLoR
Sure i did all the papers but i didnt auite do them in exam conditions sitting down for an hour and a half so i dont know whether or not the difficulty and exam stress would have made the paper any harder thats why im not sure about the relative boundaries - i would say that this is definitely more tricky than the majority of papers so i would expect a lower boundary than average. Personally i found jan2010 the hardest and this was harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

End Conclusion: Hardest M2 Paper/Questions I've ever done.
Original post by NLoR

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going back from january 2006 the papers get fairly easier, as they are fairly repetitive ofcourse. Iv heard alot of negative comments regarding jan 10, but i think june 12 may have clinched the spot for the hardest paper (pre 2013 that is). unless the 2003 papers were harder, because they were the only ones I hadnt done.

I feel like I would have been more prepared for this paper if I had just done all the mixed exercise and Review questions from the new Edexcel M2 textbooks( the one with the CD), as the book had some PROPERLY difficult centres of mass, collisions and statics questions..
Reply 548
Going back from january 2006 the papers get fairly easier, as they are fairly repetitive ofcourse. Iv heard alot of negative comments regarding jan 10, but i think june 12 may have clinched the spot for the hardest paper (pre 2013 that is). unless the 2003 papers were harder, because they were the only ones I hadnt done.

I feel like I would have been more prepared for this paper if I had just done all the mixed exercise and Review questions from the new Edexcel M2 textbooks( the one with the CD), as the book had some PROPERLY difficult centres of mass, collisions and statics questions..

Even still I did a lot of M2 textbook questions and they weren't as hard as that.
Original post by InditeHarry
Also I wrote 20, drew a graph and everything to prove it but chickened out and crossed it out as it was in the calculus area :frown:
Oh have pity on me and see through my scribbling out.

Do you think they actually meant to type Minimum?

If you wrote nothing else then they have to look at the crossed out bit. But if you wrote something else after then they have to mark that over the crossed out bit.
This is why our teachers tell people at my school never to cross anything out if you're not 100% sure, even if you have two conflicting answers....

It's ridiculous though, students are unprepared and that M2 paper was basically a Solomon press.
The best advice I can give Year 12 students is to maximise your AS ums marks otherwise byebye, or do S1 and M1 together.

Maybe it WAS a solomon paper :redface: :tongue: :'(

I actually found this paper easier than the june 2012, but I have a feeling I am literally the only one :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering that if I crossed out a correct answer and redid the question with an incorrect answer, would both the crossed out working and incorrect working be marked accordingly, or just the incorrect working? I was told by my Maths teacher that both would be marked, but I'm still a bit unsure. Going off the past grade boundaries, these marks may mean the difference between 2 different grades so I'm a bit worried :s
Reply 551
End Conclusion: Hardest M2 Paper/Questions I've ever done.

completely agree
Reply 552

I had an old m2 textbook from my sixth form too!seems like we've lost out...
Was aiming so high prior to this exam - looking forward to another hard replacement fp1 and maybe some persuading needed for an A* prediction and a retake...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 553
For 7(b), when you find the speed of R, can you just leave the answer with e? Instead of subbing 3/4 into e?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 554
Original post by ljh950912
For 7(b), when you find the speed of R, can you just leave the answer with e? Instead of subbing 3/4 into e?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very unlikely in all honesty...

Posted from TSR Mobile
jus checked arseys mark scheme, worst case scenario for me is 52/75.

so long A in further maths, A in S2 has gone to waste now...

lost my spirit for fp1 on monday, dont even know if i can do well enough in fp1 to get B or A in fm.
Reply 556
jus checked arseys mark scheme, worst case scenario for me is 52/75.

so long A in further maths, A in S2 has gone to waste now...

lost my spirit for fp1 on monday, dont even know if i can do well enough in fp1 to get B or A in fm.

I can see what i initially felt was going to be a nice easy finish to exams to be invredibly challenging giving the difficty of replacement papers...ive lost motivation for fp1 too..all that m2 work went to waste...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 557
Original post by Student8
i got 0.5 as well but i got a different angle

11.1 ? (Or something like that?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 558
Original post by GPODT
11.1 ? (Or something like that?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

no 12.1 i think ( its wrong though)
Original post by NLoR
I can see what i initially felt was going to be a nice easy finish to exams to be invredibly challenging giving the difficty of replacement papers...ive lost motivation for fp1 too..all that m2 work went to waste...

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know bro, i did like 21 past papers, and now after this paper, i felt like i could have got away with doing 2 or 3 past papers the night before, cos its not like any more work would have obtained me any more marks...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending