The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Better
Can anyone recommend when I should finish the C4 Papers Please?

Physics and Chemistry are taking up alot of time. I'm up to 2012 on the C3 Papers, my results thus far are pretty decent......

Would Starting the real C4 papers on Thursday be leaving it too late?

Have you done a good amount of practice for C4 yet, like Solomons and stuff? If so, starting the real C4 on Thursday should be fine, imo.
Reply 2221
Original post by AHarris
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370592426.104513.jpg

Can anyone do part d of q15
The answer in the back is wrong but I still have no idea how to get an answer :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I rushed this but it's about finding limits for theta and multiplying the "y" expression by dx/d(theta) to integrate wrt theta I think
For C3 trig questions (finding x)..
When im at the stage where for example: cos(2x-36.87) = 2/5
I normally write: let 2x-36.87 =b and then continue my working with cosb =2/5 as I find this easier.. Then convert it back later.

When doing this I normally just find lots of values by adding and subtracting 360.. However can someone please tell me how to change the range so that I know when to stop e.g. if it was 0 < x < 180 what would it become when I let 2x-36.87 =b?

Reply 2223
Original post by bestfriends33
For C3 trig questions (finding x)..
When im at the stage where for example: cos(2x-36.87) = 2/5
I normally write: let 2x-36.87 =b and then continue my working with cosb =2/5 as I find this easier.. Then convert it back later.

When doing this I normally just find lots of values by adding and subtracting 360.. However can someone please tell me how to change the range so that I know when to stop e.g. if it was 0 < x < 180 what would it become when I let 2x-36.87 =b?

if 0 < x < 90 , -12 < B < 78 where B=x-12, you put the range boundaries in for x values.
Original post by Tchombo
if 0 < x < 90 , -12 < B < 78 where B=x-12, you put the range boundaries in for x values.

Thanks! So you just subs the range values into the equation..

So for my question above would the range become -36.87 < x <323.13? :smile:
Someone give me some foul questions for C3, I need to prepare for the outcome that happening in M2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
Someone give me some foul questions for C3, I need to prepare for the outcome that happening in M2!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably not that difficult, but it's the best I could come up with :colondollar:.

Find ddx(xex)\dfrac{d}{dx}(x^{e^x}). You are only allowed to use C3 methods though.
Reply 2227
Original post by Tchombo
I rushed this but it's about finding limits for theta and multiplying the "y" expression by dx/d(theta) to integrate wrt theta I think

Did you forget to take it away from 5 at the end or am I missing something?
Original post by brittanna
It's probably not that difficult, but it's the best I could come up with :colondollar:.

Find ddx(xex)\dfrac{d}{dx}(x^{e^x}). You are only allowed to use C3 methods though.

I'll try this now and post my answer for you to check? I'm sure I can already see the method though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This just looks completely wrong, but who knows.

Is this correct?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370601946.900670.jpg

Edit: This is rubbish.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Ignore the last post, that's complete and utter rubbish, would this be it?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370602220.146727.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Ignore the last post, that's complete and utter rubbish, would this be it?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370602220.146727.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

It looks similar to my answer, but I think your final answer is wrong.

I got

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

I got

Spoiler

Oh I had my base value wrong :-/ silly me -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I had my base value wrong :-/ silly me -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

:tongue:.
Reply 2234

I got

Spoiler

What was your method to get this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2235
Original post by justinawe
Have you done a good amount of practice for C4 yet, like Solomons and stuff? If so, starting the real C4 on Thursday should be fine, imo.

Yes mate I've finished all the Solomon for C4. Ah kk. Thanks for your input as always Justin!

Just a bit nervous whether I can finish them fine.

Is this C3???!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AHarris
What was your method to get this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You use implicit differentiation by taking logs on both sides.

y= x^(e^x)

lny= lnx^(e^x)

lny= e^x lnx

Differentiate
Use the product rule on the RHS

1/y(dy/dx)= e^xlnx + (e^x)/x

Multiply both sides by y

dy/dx = y( e^xlnx + (e^x)/x )

replace y with x^(e^x)

I am so sorry, but I cant do the whole fancy print screens they do. Someone else can do it for you :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

yes. :cool:
Original post by frogs r everywhere
yes. :cool:

Ah k.
I should go through the textbook, seem to have forgotten all the important stuff :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending