University College London
London

Ucl firmers 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi~

A Korean dude who studied in Singapore.

1. Doing B.A. Politics and East European Studies
2. Got a conditional offer of AAA
4. Got the grades already because my A level results came out in March :smile: Got AAAB/AA. So I will be going to UCL.
5. Nope! I need some help looking around :frown: Help? haha
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Sup guys,

1. Law (M100)
2. Unconditional
3/4. Questions not relevant because offer is unconditional and firmed.
5. Nope, first time going to the UK this September!
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
They didn't specify anything at all, they just asked me to and I did! I think They will be looking for high UMS average, but luckily for you probably aren't too concerned about decision modules, more about the harder core modules and mechanics. Also, remember that this isn't the only factor, they will look at everything, they just use the UMS as an extra indicator for a good candidate.

In terms of the Further Maths being a B, it could be a problem, but depends on your other modules if it's just the one that let you down. Also, you don't know if it definitely has gone terrible yet, so don't give up!

Was D1 the module you think you have messed up in? And are you just guessing your average based on the exams you've done? My UMS was:

C1- 100 C2- 87 C3- 98 C4- 97 S1-97 M1-100

Which I understand is very high, but I have to stress it's not JUST the UMS that they look for. For example, my other two subject UMS' weren't as good. Also, my GCSEs, though good, wont have been as fantastic as a lot of people applying to UCL..

I think it's a bit early to consider a gap year just yet, you haven't got your results back yet! And also, there's no harm in trying and seeing what happens. They might just make you the (high) offer and leave it to you to achieve it!

I suppose it's a good thing that there's no specific requirement in terms of UMS but I can't think of any other reason for them to ask for it other than to weed out weaker candidates. Not too sure where I stand on that one.

Yes, D1 is the module I'm certain I've screwed up, having checked the unofficial mark scheme and compared answers. Strange thing is, everything I did I got right, but I just didn't have it in me to finish the paper - I felt terrible.

And yes my average UMS is basically a guess seeing as I've only got my C1 grade from January to go on. Having said that I am quite sure of how my papers have gone and so I've made an educated guess as to what UMS I think that squares up as.

I guess you're right about it being too early to consider a gap year, but it seems like a sensible option. I'm very sure I can achieve an A* in maths and further maths next year and so I don't think meeting requirements will be too much of an issue, it's just my AS grades I'm not sure on.

I have, however, considered applying for physics, which I believe only has an offer of A A B, and then transferring to the maths and physics course. It also crossed my mind that they could indeed just make me a high offer and see if I meet it like you said, but again, I struggle to see how they'd even make me an offer in the first place let alone ask me to meet one.

Again, I apologise for the long-windedness of the post, it's more me just speaking (writing?) out loud and trying to find some self reassurance. And again I thank you for taking the time to respond! You've given me a lot to think about.
Does anyone know if those holding unconditional offers will find out which accommodation they've been placed in any earlier than those with conditional offers?

And also, to any English applicants specifically - should we have received anything from the department yet, such as reading lists etc.?
Reply 244
Original post by oakenshield1
Does anyone know if those holding unconditional offers will find out which accommodation they've been placed in any earlier than those with conditional offers?

And also, to any English applicants specifically - should we have received anything from the department yet, such as reading lists etc.?

I'm an English firmer who hasn't received anything so I guess they aren't planning on sending things out until after the exam period. That said, if you're interested you can access material intended for undergraduates here, including the reading list for 2012 freshers.
Original post by WJRA
I'm an English firmer who hasn't received anything so I guess they aren't planning on sending things out until after the exam period. That said, if you're interested you can access material intended for undergraduates here, including the reading list for 2012 freshers.

Okay, thanks. I already have that link but was just wondering if there is a list for 2013 floating around anywhere. I don't want to buy anything from that list in case ours changes. Is your offer unconditional or conditional?
Reply 246
Okay, thanks. I already have that link but was just wondering if there is a list for 2013 floating around anywhere. I don't want to buy anything from that list in case ours changes. Is your offer unconditional or conditional?

Mines a conditional offer and no I haven't seen a newer reading list anywhere at the moment. I haven't bought anything off the previous list for the same reason but I can't see the harm in re-reading any items you already own - none of the First year modules will have changed.
Original post by WJRA
Mines a conditional offer and no I haven't seen a newer reading list anywhere at the moment. I haven't bought anything off the previous list for the same reason but I can't see the harm in re-reading any items you already own - none of the First year modules will have changed.

Cool, well good luck in your exam! I only own a few of the things on the list but I guess re-reading them would be a good idea. I know it's unlikely the course content will have changed but one or two of the texts might have, or the actual editions recommended on the reading list. Suppose we'll just have to wait.
Reply 248
Cool, well good luck in your exam! I only own a few of the things on the list but I guess re-reading them would be a good idea. I know it's unlikely the course content will have changed but one or two of the texts might have, or the actual editions recommended on the reading list. Suppose we'll just have to wait.

All my exams will be finished after Monday so i'm planning on reading as much of that old reading list as possible from then on. Providing it all goes well i'll hopefully see you in September (i'm assuming your offer is unconditional from your first post but, if not, good luck in your exams as well).
Here are a few questions for you
1. Chemistry
2. AAA
3. Bath
4. Did before but now I'm not too sure :s-smilie:
5. Nope
Original post by WJRA
All my exams will be finished after Monday so i'm planning on reading as much of that old reading list as possible from then on. Providing it all goes well i'll hopefully see you in September (i'm assuming your offer is unconditional from your first post but, if not, good luck in your exams as well).

Sounds good. I was never planning on doing a lot of reading before we start but it depends how soon they decide to contact us and if there's anything they seriously recommend we read up on, I will do. Yep, mine's unconditional so no exams for me thankfully!
1. Physics MSci
2. AAB
3. No insurance because Notthingham's offer was the same
4. Hopefully :smile:
5. No but looking forward to it!

Any other physicists?
Reply 252
Yeah physics!
1. What course did you apply for?
Theoretical Physics (MSci)
2. What is your offer if it was conditional?
Conditional offer based on Norwegian grades. (5 in Maths and Physics, 4.7 average)
3. What is your insurance?
Durham, basically same offer with higher demand on average, but different policy on what grades to use means I have already met my offer there.
4. Do you think you will get the grades?
It will all stand or fall on one single exam, and I am quite sure I underperformed on it. Won't know till late June or early July
5. Have you lived in London before?
Never lived or been there, except for some train stations on my way between Gatwick and Cambridge (Interview).
Reply 254
1. Geography (BSc)
2. AAA
3. University of Manchester (AAB)
4. I really hope so! It's definitely achievable but I'm struggling to find the motivation to revise
5. No.

Quick question: I have applied for 2013 entry, but since getting my offer have realised I really want a gap year to travel and raise some funds for living in London! How likely do you think UCL are to let me defer? I've emailed but haven't had a response and the anticipation is killing me...

Hi everyone, I've applied for Egyptian archaeology and my differ is ABB, I know that's a really good offer for UCL but I'm terrified I won't get a B in biology. Does Anybody know if I got say, AAC they would accept that? I don't have an insurance because all my offers were the same and I really want to go to UCL.
I also have a lot if experience from digs, and have volunteered in a museum for 2 years in the archaeology department. Plus I do archaeology a level which only like 20 colleges in the UK offer and they said they were really impressed with all this on my interview.
I'm so scared :'(
Offer* sorry autocorrect.....
Original post by alexandra2294
Hi everyone, I've applied for Egyptian archaeology and my differ is ABB, I know that's a really good offer for UCL but I'm terrified I won't get a B in biology. Does Anybody know if I got say, AAC they would accept that? I don't have an insurance because all my offers were the same and I really want to go to UCL.
I also have a lot if experience from digs, and have volunteered in a museum for 2 years in the archaeology department. Plus I do archaeology a level which only like 20 colleges in the UK offer and they said they were really impressed with all this on my interview.
I'm so scared :'(

I'm in the same position as you as well, I have an ABB offer too, my predictions were A*A*B (don't think I will get those grades) but I just scrapped the B in the January exams... From what I have heard they are not lenient because they have so many people apply to the course, the course would be full. :frown:
Here are a few questions for you
1. Psychology
2. AAA
3. Exeter
4. I really really really hope so!
5. Nope.. and suffolk is so different haha, but I'm excited :smile:
Reply 259
1. Chemical Engineering MEng
2. AAA
3. University of Surrey
4. I hope I get my grades!!
5. I don't live in London at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending