The Student Room Group

Woman, 31, falsely claimed two men broke into her house and raped her

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337297/Woman-31-falsely-claimed-strangers-broke-house-raped-selecting-profiles-Facebook.html

Another false rape accuser escapes prison. As if anyone would rape her

"In an attempt to garner sympathy from her partner, Linsey Attridge, 31, claimed the two men broke into her house in Aberdeen and attacked her.

She even punched herself in the face and ripped her own clothing to make her story seem more credible.

Attridge then spent three days trawling social networking sites so she could hand over profiles of the men she claimed were responsible to police"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How on earth can she escape prison for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Hodgey1
How on earth can she escape prison for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because she's a woman. An absolutely ridiculous state of affairs that she can just walk away from this but leave their lives in tatters, all the while giving the people who claim for real rape offenses a bad name. It's women like her that take away any faith in a justice system which claims to believe in equality.

What pisses me off the most though is that if she'd gotten away with it then she'd have made a false claim of one of the most disgusting criminal acts imaginable against two people she knew and had them locked up for years. She deserves far worse than just 200 hours of community service, she deserves imprisonment.
(edited 10 years ago)
The things people do for "love". The man is quite good looking though...
Ehh but seriously why wasn't she sentenced to prison? I mean false accusations, waste of police time and if the truth wasn't found out she would have completely destroyed the life of two innocent men.
Reply 4
only fair she never got jail.

If she did women everywhere who were raped would be scare 2 come forward incase they get accused so lieing and then risk jail for getting raped themselves.
(edited 10 years ago)
What the **** did I just read? Send that bitch to prison, immediately. Sexist double ****ing standards again, as per usual.
Original post by bestofyou

If she did women everywhere who were raped would be scare 2 come forward incase they get accused so lying and then risk jail for getting raped themselves.

You have a point...but still she should have received more than a few community hours!
Reply 7
Original post by SarahWorksout
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337297/Woman-31-falsely-claimed-strangers-broke-house-raped-selecting-profiles-Facebook.html

Another false rape accuser escapes prison. As if anyone would rape her

"In an attempt to garner sympathy from her partner, Linsey Attridge, 31, claimed the two men broke into her house in Aberdeen and attacked her.

She even punched herself in the face and ripped her own clothing to make her story seem more credible.

Attridge then spent three days trawling social networking sites so she could hand over profiles of the men she claimed were responsible to police"

I find the bit I've bolded is really quite disturbing. Anybody can get raped, this woman made a false claim but your sentence seems to imply that rape is like a compliment, and she's not even worthy of it. Rape is a horrific crime, end of.

Also, I'd like to point out that false accusations of rape are extremely unusual, and it's a shame that unusual cases like this are publicised (by the Daily Mail, surprise surprise) whilst the multitudes of rape cases which result in a guilty verdict for the rapists are not publicised whatsoever by the media.
Original post by bestofyou

If she did women everywhere who were raped would be scare 2 come forward incase they get accused so lieing and then risk jail for getting raped themselves.

What stupid logic. In actuality what they should do is jail her in order to show that false rape claimants will be punished.
She should have been sent to prison for the length of time the falsely accused men would have if proven guilty, it's only fair. No justice letting her off a prison sentence, those poor men dragged through all that just for having a Facebook profile she picked out. Sick.
Original post by edithwashere
I find the bit I've bolded is really quite disturbing. Anybody can get raped, this woman made a false claim but your sentence seems to imply that rape is like a compliment, and she's not even worthy of it. Rape is a horrific crime, end of.

Also, I'd like to point out that false accusations of rape are extremely unusual, and it's a shame that unusual cases like this are publicised (by the Daily Mail, surprise surprise) whilst the multitudes of rape cases which result in a guilty verdict for the rapists are not publicised whatsoever by the media.

Agreed and to show that false rape claimants won't be tolerated they should jail her. Ruthless punishment for a ruthless evil cow.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Rational Thinker
Agreed and to show that false rape claimants won't be tolerated they should hang her. Ruthless punishment for a ruthless evil cow.

how sexist
Agreed and to show that false rape claimants won't be tolerated they should hang her. Ruthless punishment for a ruthless evil cow.

So somebody who makes a false allegation of a crime should get a worse punishment than somebody who actually commits that crime? You have some really horrid opinions.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03/13/false-rape-allegations-ra_n_2865823.html

There were 5,651 prosecutions for rape for the period between January 2011 and May 2012 the study looked at, but only 35 for making false allegations of rape.

Likewise, there were 111,891 prosecutions for domestic violence, but only six for making false allegations of domestic violence.

A further three people were charged with making false allegations of both rape and domestic violence.

The study found that a significant number of these cases involved "young, often vulnerable people, and sometimes even children".

Around half were brought forward by people aged 21 and under, with some involving people with mental health difficulties.

In 38% of those investigations, the initial complaint of rape or domestic violence was made by someone other than the suspect. When the alleged victim was under 18, that figure rose to 50% and often involved a parent.
Reply 14
The two men she falsely accused must be horrified and hurt to think someone would stoop so low to make an accusation - especially that they haven't done anything.
I truly hope those accused don't have their names stuck with this accusation forever. Poor guys, and their families too.
They are the ones who deserve the justice. They are the ones whose lives have been ruined.
Original post by edithwashere
So somebody who makes a false allegation of a crime should get a worse punishment than somebody who actually commits that crime? You have some really horrid opinions.

She has ruined these men's life's with her Arbitrary claims. It is sexist and unfair for her to not get at least the same punishment as a rapist would get.
Reply 16
How can anyone even get hard to rape her?

anyway, she should get a stern punishment, she has to be made an example of so these women stop falsely ruining these guys' lives.
Original post by scapepower
how sexist

What so you think that those who ruin peoples lives just get away free?
This woman should have received the same jail sentence a rapist would have received. She lied about being raped, and could have ruined those two blokes lives permanently. She is a disgrace, and women who have been raped must despair at this persons behaviour.
(edited 10 years ago)
She has ruined these men's life's with her Arbitrary claims. It is sexist and unfair for her to not get at least the same punishment as a rapist would get.

No, it's perfectly fair under the law, because accusing somebody of rape is not a crime in the sense that rape is a crime. No lawyer would support your claims. I'm sure those guys had a terrible time, but in a court of law she has been found guilty, and the punishment given has been community service. It's by no means sexist nor unfair for her to have that punishment, try thinking with your brain and not your emotions.