The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeedsFan123
abET10ian0.jpg

Fluid, and good technically.

Johnson is a better RB than P.Jones and that midfield will be overrun by a team who are better.
Original post by Zerforax
Johnson is a better RB than P.Jones and that midfield will be overrun by a team who are better.

I think that midfield is the best chance we have of competing with the likes of Italy and Brazil as far as possesion is concerned. (No point in even mentioning Spain or Germany). The only other option is to concede our inferiority and play a counter attacking, less proactive game, like we did against Brazil.

You may well be right about Johnson, but neither one is a league ahead of the other.
Original post by Zerforax
I definately think we're second/third tier behind the likes of Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina etc

Well perhaps route one was a bit too far. Basically I'd like for us to defend well and win the ball back in our own third and then between our technically gifted midfield, aim to release an attacking trio who have pace and can really stretch a team on the break. Caroll has no pace so that's a no no for me. The team should go from a 4-5-1 when defending into a 4-2-1-3 when attacking on the counter.

We can create a new set up when we play other teams who are seen to be weaker than us (might get one or two in the group) but otherwise we should focus on how we can beat the big teams if we want to progress in the tournament.

Great minds think alike haha.
Pretty much said what I'd like us to do.
At worst when we're behind in the last 20 mins we put on carroll as an impact sub(FA cup final 2012 e.g.) but besides that he shouldn't be starting in ANY match.

I was thinking in fact, the chelsea vs barca example. While we played route 1 all match against barca, 2 of our three goals were exactly as you described. Retrive ball in our half, release it quick to the winger and they have loads of space for the team to stretch. I think carrick and gerrard will be the ones most important at this, due to their general physicality and having played in a deep role, wilshere has played in a role similar to this but obviously isn't as physical as the other two.
England are horrendous when they play big teams - absolutely disgusting.
They adhere to a defensive stance for 85% of the game and only when they go down do they try to be even a little offensive.
It's as if the English players become scared when they put their boots on for England - For REAL.
We probably have one of the best all round team in the world barring the striking but can't get it together when facing big teams.
Even against smaller teams like Montenegro - the performance was absolute trash.
This is the one time England actually need a big ego in the team to energize everything, they're lifeless on the pitch.

Germany and Spain will be big odds to win the next 2 big trophies.
Slip in Brazil and Argentina in their for underdogs. (Brazil undergoing transition and the youngsters slowly coming through)
With Argentina you just don't know.
Germany have a very promising manager/squad and everything is right about the German squad atm.
Spain are how they normally are with abundance of talent.

If only Rooney/Gerrard/Lampard and other consitent England stars performed at even half of what they do for clubs, we would be in a satisfactory position.
They're different players for England - cursed perhaps?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cleveradam
England are horrendous when they play big teams - absolutely disgusting.
They adhere to a defensive stance for 85% of the game and only when they go down do they try to be even a little offensive.
It's as if the English players become scared when they put their boots on for England - For REAL.
We probably have one of the best all round team in the world barring the striking but can't get it together when facing big teams.
Even against smaller teams like Montenegro - the performance was absolute trash.
This is the one time England actually need a big ego in the team to energize everything, they're lifeless on the pitch.

If only Rooney/Gerrard/Lampard and other consitent England stars performed at even half of what they do for clubs, we would be in a satisfactory position.
They're different players for England - cursed perhaps?

I personally think it's down to the management. Capello seemed to start doing the right things then obviously we know what happened. He ****ed up at the world cup playing 4-4-2 vs germany needed a man in midfield to stop ozil/muller/others running riot but hey what can you say, we were unlucky that match had the 4th official not been drunk we could have potentially beat them.

Tactics atm are absolutely dire, playing route one football with players who clearly don't play that at their teams. For a manager who's succeeded in italy, he's pretty devoid of tactical knowledge bar 2 banks of 4.
Original post by jam277
I personally think it's down to the management. Capello seemed to start doing the right things then obviously we know what happened. He ****ed up at the world cup playing 4-4-2 vs germany needed a man in midfield to stop ozil/muller/others running riot but hey what can you say, we were unlucky that match had the 4th official not been drunk we could have potentially beat them.

Tactics atm are absolutely dire, playing route one football with players who clearly don't play that at their teams. For a manager who's succeeded in italy, he's pretty devoid of tactical knowledge bar 2 banks of 4.

I think we would have won the Germany game in WC because of the momentum and energy we would have developed had Lampard's goal been given.
James Milner is a problem - I commend and respect him for his extremely high work-rates and continuous efforts but he isn't good enough and is not doing the correct thing required on the right/left of midfield.
Walcott - very well over-rated when he players for England. Why doesn't Aaron Lennon get a look in?
we don't have an LM considering Ashley Young has been injured for months.
Too bad we don't have a Bale-type player in our squad who will pick the game up for the team every game regardless of situation.
In the Brazil game the clear thing highlighted was that England players are scared of recieving the ball - Look at the way Neymar was playing, every pass would go to him and he would come up with something or David Luiz would string a wonder pass.
Lampard was unable to play the Neymar type role and no one was doing that for England. Carrick didn't find his range.
I actually pray that we don't make the World Cup so something gets done about this.
If only SAF took the England role - that's the type of guy we need, not Woy Hodgson.
Woy Hodgson's tactics are totally the opposite to what the most successful manager in the world would play - SAF.
Original post by cleveradam
I think we would have won the Germany game in WC because of the momentum and energy we would have developed had Lampard's goal been given.
James Milner is a problem - I commend and respect him for his extremely high work-rates and continuous efforts but he isn't good enough and is not doing the correct thing required on the right/left of midfield.
Walcott - very well over-rated when he players for England. Why doesn't Aaron Lennon get a look in?
we don't have an LM considering Ashley Young has been injured for months.
Too bad we don't have a Bale-type player in our squad who will pick the game up for the team every game regardless of situation.
In the Brazil game the clear thing highlighted was that England players are scared of recieving the ball - Look at the way Neymar was playing, every pass would go to him and he would come up with something or David Luiz would string a wonder pass.
Lampard was unable to play the Neymar type role and no one was doing that for England. Carrick didn't find his range.
I actually pray that we don't make the World Cup so something gets done about this.
If only SAF took the England role - that's the type of guy we need, not Woy Hodgson.
Woy Hodgson's tactics are totally the opposite to what the most successful manager in the world would play - SAF.

I think SAF being england manager would have been absolutely great.
Milner is a professional, while he clearly should not start he's useful in running the game down. All we need to do is play for 1-0's. By that I mean jose mourinho style 1-0 so score a goal then put on a centre back and a DM.

We have chamberlain, who can play as an LM. Aaron lennon has played at LM at times, played there a lot under redknapp in fact, while a good player, not the quality we need but he'd do for us considering what we need.

I want us to make the world cup. I'd hate us to be unsuccessful like that but something does need to be done, we completely ****ed up with the appointment of a manager, he's better than redknapp though. Just sad that there are no top quality english managers atm. We should have just appointed another non english manager until one comes along.
Reply 7867
Original post by jam277
I think SAF being england manager would have been absolutely great.

I don't. He's Scottish.
Original post by TRS-T
I don't. He's Scottish.

So basically, get an inadequate english manager because he's english.
Reply 7869
Original post by jam277
So basically, get an inadequate english manager because he's english.

Get the best English manager.
Original post by TRS-T

And who is that exactly, alf ramsey and bobby robson are dead. At least if you make this statement tell me who is good enough to manage england and get them performing like they should be(contenders for the tournament) we have the players while not as rosy as it used to be when we had cole, terry, ferdinand and neville in defence and lamps/gerrard in CM it's still a very good team if we utilise the players strengths.

Don't see a single english manager capable of doing that.
Give me one legitimate reason why England need an English manager. And don't make it the 'he cares more about England than anybody abroad' - you'd think this applied to the players as well but it clearly doesn't.

Let's face it, Scotland have way better managers than we do. The better the manager, the more I want them to manage England. It's as simple as that.
Original post by TRS-T

The best English manager is also an inadequate English manager. There's no English manager anywhere that is above average.
Reply 7873
Original post by jam277
And who is that exactly, alf ramsey and bobby robson are dead. At least if you make this statement tell me who is good enough to manage england and get them performing like they should be(contenders for the tournament) we have the players while not as rosy as it used to be when we had cole, terry, ferdinand and neville in defence and lamps/gerrard in CM it's still a very good team if we utilise the players strengths.

Don't see a single english manager capable of doing that.

Harry Redknapp.
Reply 7874
Original post by little_wizard123
Give me one legitimate reason why England need an English manager. And don't make it the 'he cares more about England than anybody abroad' - you'd think this applied to the players as well but it clearly doesn't.

Let's face it, Scotland have way better managers than we do. The better the manager, the more I want them to manage England. It's as simple as that.

Because it's the England national team.

The clue is in the name.
Reply 7875
Original post by Stu Laverty
The best English manager is also an inadequate English manager. There's no English manager anywhere that is above average.

Doesn't matter.

If the best English players are inadequate you don't use Spanish players instead do you.
Original post by TRS-T
Harry Redknapp.

Actually made me chuckle here.
There is no requirement for a English manager. If you are going to run with that how far are you going to push it? Are we allowed foreign staff, foreign assistants, what about a foreign kit manufacturer or foreign boots?

The line is drawn at players(roughly), its simple as that.
Harry redknapp? The guy with one trophy after 28 years of management which he should be stripped off anyway? How many quad vods did you have.
Original post by TRS-T
Because it's the England national team.

The clue is in the name.

So even if a foreign manager was better, you'd prefer an English one? Why?

Latest