The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Guys i made huge MISTAKE. I answered two questions for human and a tectonics question, whats going to happen? What grade am i looking at now?
Exam is over now yay!
did no one do separatism then? :P first 7 mark on man whitney u was a ****er
Original post by ViolentMind
Guys i made huge MISTAKE. I answered two questions for human and a tectonics question, whats going to happen? What grade am i looking at now?

2 human as in a short answer and an essay...?
Reply 2744
Original post by V95
omg i'm so screwed, i talked only about aid /:

I did D and G too!
Was so set on doing d&g for the essay.
I talked about UK's intervention in Bangladesh and how effective it had been in reducing it's issues i.e illiteracy, equality of women etc
then I questioned whether they would be able to do it independently? Could they have reached the same position without UK's help?

Then I used NIC's as an example of countries moving forward in the continuum independently. However, without the demand for products from overseas, they would not be able to have achieved their level of economic growth currently.
Discussed role of NGO's and corrupt gov. in LEDC's that is commonly found, NGO's use bottom up initiatives etc.
Concluded I concur with the statement because countries at such low levels will need intervention for reasons stated and even if they wanted to, would not be able to because of how globalised and interconnected and interdependent countries are nowadays.

I dont think many people would have answered the dandg essay, which should prove to be good for us!
Reply 2745

can you be a little clearer? I.e. what short answer vs long answers
Original post by danielrhysowen
Haha I thought on my feet, likening it to a regimented seismic measurement obviously but also a measurement similar to Mercalli, looking at human elements as well (hence the confidence level of how well prepared Japan was in comparison with Italy)

The confidence level on A MWU is how sure you are that the result didn't occur due to random chance... Normally, anything about 95% is seen as a true result.
Original post by JC1995
For the tectonics essay, I did 1) population density and population around the volcano, 2) wealth of the country allowing for hard strategies like lava blockades 3) monitoring and prediction leading to evacuation 4) weather during the eruption 5) type of hazard and volcano e.g. Pyroclastic flow.

Wasn't sure what it meant by analyse though. Does it mean how effective certain things are at influencing the hazards posed by volcanoes were?

I did the first 3 points and one other. I didnt know what analyse meant either:frown:
Original post by Axion
can you be a little clearer? I.e. what short answer vs long answers

Original post by Croydon'Stepper
2 human as in a short answer and an essay...?

Globalisation and development and World cities short answers. Did the tectonics essay.

So angry with myself, didnt realise untill i'd left.
what was the ecosystem picture asking for and biodiversity question?
I talked about mining possible amazon - fragile environment, pollution leaching erosion building of roads etc...??
And for biodiversity I talked about negative human impacts in 3 biomes and then conservation in the Amazon as a positive.

?
Reply 2750
Globalisation and development and World cities short answers. Did the tectonics essay.

:frown: sorry bro, not good to hear. You'll only get your top scoring short answer marked
Original post by Axion
lol shockingly average. Love how everyone thinks it was a great paper. really wasnt :frown:.

Results day will tell us

yeah I thought it was, but it's famous last words - I probably did ****!

can't tell really as I am so ****ing tired right now!

Oh, the highest mark you get in the short answer you'll keep, so in short you'll lose a minimum of 25 marks. Soz boss.
Sorry to say but they'll probably take you best i.e. your looking at a maximum mark of 65 maybe if they see you've answered all the sections well they'll boost it up a bit.
Reply 2754
Thank god I don't need geography for my university offer...Didn't revise it at all, except for an hour or two this morning with some friends. Strangely I think it went ok haha, if I get a good grade I'll laugh so much!! Well, did the exact same thing for the big AS exam...few hours revision before the exam and came out with a B, 5 UMS off an A :tongue: maybe it'll happen again?

Just wondering about the tectonics question since our teachers are pretty crappy and didn't even teach us ANY stats at all, I rejected the null hypothesis and said there was a less than 5% probability the results were due to chance, so there WAS a difference between the magnitudes, is that right?
Reply 2755
Original post by GeoggerH
I did D and G too!
Was so set on doing d&g for the essay.
I talked about UK's intervention in Bangladesh and how effective it had been in reducing it's issues i.e illiteracy, equality of women etc
then I questioned whether they would be able to do it independently? Could they have reached the same position without UK's help?

Then I used NIC's as an example of countries moving forward in the continuum independently. However, without the demand for products from overseas, they would not be able to have achieved their level of economic growth currently.
Discussed role of NGO's and corrupt gov. in LEDC's that is commonly found, NGO's use bottom up initiatives etc.
Concluded I concur with the statement because countries at such low levels will need intervention for reasons stated and even if they wanted to, would not be able to because of how globalised and interconnected and interdependent countries are nowadays.

I dont think many people would have answered the dandg essay, which should prove to be good for us!

your NIC point is awesome, wish i thought of that! sounds like you did well! i hope it works out in our favour!

i talked about why countries are classed as LDCs, mentioned they have high growth rates due to a greater scope for economic development and drew a production possibility curve, which i came across after researching! i also talked about the balanced unbalanced growth theory and how Bangladesh is an Unbalanced country as it relies on agriculture so if that screws up, so does the country's economy.

i then went on to talk about how they invest all their money in reducing poverty etc, but to grow economically they need to invest in education and this can be done with aid. i talked about bottoms up aid too! in burkina faso, and how it's sustainable, then i talked about aid with interest rate repayments causing a debt burden, and then talked about the IMF, World Bank, HIPCs and MDRI and how Uganda and Malawi's debts were cancelled, and Uganda had to agree to trade liberalisation and Malawi could spend more on preventing malaria and HIV/AIDS.

when i concluded, i remphaised the above and talked about the washington consensus and how the World bank uses some of it's rules when giving loans

i'm worried that the fact that i didn't talk about trade will ruin my chances of getting a high mark! what do you reckon i'd get (rough opinion)?
What were the grade boundaries for last year?
Reply 2757
Original post by wrnicholls
You lose 20 marks if you did that wrong ;O

Was the sarcasm really necessary? :tongue:
The difficulty depends on what comes up on what section so if the whole papers pretty awkward then boundaries go down e.g. Jan - unfair for those who get taught the easiest section although they do mark them harsher e.g. tectonics essay
Reply 2759
Original post by ScottENGLAND
the world cities essay- i spoke about urbanisation in mumbai and australia and tried to relate all the impacts to unsustainability. Some others wrote about how places in germany and uk are using waste/transport management, but just because they are urban areas doesnt mean they are related to urbanisation, or.....?

I wrote similar stuff to you, i wrote about environmental sustainability :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending