The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by germankid101
So I put this: CH3CH2CH2COH for the aldehyde. I know it doesn't directly highlight the C=O double bond but is it a structural formula.

Yes, like others said I think you need it to be: CH3CH2CH2CHO for the mark. Probably easier to just draw out the display/skeletal next time. We shall see though.
For the but-2-ene question that asked how can it make N,P,Q,R etc

It said structural formula so I put:

CH3CHCHCH3 + HCL ------> CH3CH2CHCLCH3

Instead of

CH3CH=CHCH3 - would I still get 2 marks?? It said structural formula... I got the reagent and product right....
For the flow chart question did you have to put H20 for each one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4443
Can anyone tell me if my answers are right or wrong?

For question 1c- suggest the structure of the cyclic hydrocarbon of octane
I drew out a cyclic hydrocarbon with 6 sides and 2 methyl?

For question 5c- Give an everyday use for infrared spectroscopy.
I wrote hydrocarbon based

For question on- Describe and explain how the concentration of ozone is maintained:
I wrote O2 + O <=> O3

For the question on: suggest why the compound burnt in yellow flame and produced black smoke. I wrote lack of oxygen but did not write incomplete combustion.

Lastly, for the question on IR: suggest the two possible structures for M.
For my final answer I wrote it could be aldehyde or ketone. So I drew the displayed formula of aldehyde or ketone which were butanal and butanone but I didn't write in words 'butanal and butanone'. Do you think I will still get the mark since it was asking for structure?
Original post by Jimmy20002012
For the flow chart question did you have to put H20 for each one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. As h2o is not an organic product
Original post by TheFootyKing19
No. As h2o is not an organic product

Cool, thanks :smile: how did the exam go for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4446
Original post by Corvill
Can anyone tell me if my answers are right or wrong?

For question 1c- suggest the structure of the cyclic hydrocarbon of octane
I drew out a cyclic hydrocarbon with 6 sides and 2 methyl?

For question 5c- Give an everyday use for infrared spectroscopy.
I wrote hydrocarbon based

For question on- Describe and explain how the concentration of ozone is maintained:
I wrote O2 + O <=> O3

For the question on: suggest why the compound burnt in yellow flame and produced black smoke. I wrote lack of oxygen but did not write incomplete combustion.

Lastly, for the question on IR: suggest the two possible structures for M.
For my final answer I wrote it could be aldehyde or ketone. So I drew the displayed formula of aldehyde or ketone which were butanal and butanone but I didn't write in words 'butanal and butanone'. Do you think I will still get the mark since it was asking for structure?

1C) Should have been cyclo-octane
5C) Breathalizers to test drunk drivers
Ozone question - yeah I think that is correct.
Lack of Oxygen should be fine
You shouldn't need to state the names, as long as you drew the structures correctly :smile:.
For an everyday use of infrared spectroscopy would drug analysis be okay answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For and everyday use I put 'monitoring environmental pollution levels'?
For the question where you had to name the functional groups, could you have put carbonyl for the C=O
For the but-2-ene question that asked how can it make N,P,Q,R etc

It said structural formula so I put:

CH3CHCHCH3 + HCL ------> CH3CH2CHCLCH3

Instead of

CH3CH=CHCH3 - would I still get 2 marks?? It said structural formula... I got the reagent and product right....
Original post by RoryTinker
For the question where you had to name the functional groups, could you have put carbonyl for the C=O

Nope. It was Alkene and ester
Original post by LaurenceM
For an everyday use of infrared spectroscopy would drug analysis be okay answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats wat i put too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4453
Original post by Freddy-Francis
Damn it. I lost 3 marks :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that :/
Guys for the last question i did one boltzman diagram (With both the catalyst and temperature on one diagram) followed by 2 sentences or so each on the effect of temp an catalyst seperetly. Would it still be possible to get 6/7 marks on this question it was out of 7 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
[URL=http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4456
Hi for the van der waals question near the beggining of the exam i wrote has weaker van der waals forces and after that i wrote has fewer van der waals forces will i still get the mark
Original post by scienceboy16
Guys for the last question i did one boltzman diagram (With both the catalyst and temperature on one diagram) followed by 2 sentences or so each on the effect of temp an catalyst seperetly. Would it still be possible to get 6/7 marks on this question it was out of 7 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure man, the question did ask for Diagrams so they may of expected us to use more than 1 diagram
Reply 4458
Original post by Freddy-Francis
How did U guys workout the fragment ions:fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You had to work out fragment ions?? Where??
Oh for the sulphur right??
Original post by 344302
You had to work out fragment ions?? Where??
Oh for the sulphur right??

hmm? :frown:

I put something like C2H5+ or something... ROFL :angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending