The Student Room Group

A2 Roman Britain

I am currently studying Britain and Roman occupation and urbanisation yet there is so little and it is so unstructured that it is hard to know exactly what I should be looking at and learning. What types of questions are likely to be asked and what are the main themes of the course?If anyone can point me in the right direction towards resources or has a better understanding of the course and what you need to know, could you please help , it would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Yeah it's OCR, and well we have a spec, but what we seem to be doing is not as in depth as the spec shows, we just slightly touch on each topic, and we lose a lot of lessons through unforeseen circumstances. I'd just like to know the depth and to know how I could go about learning it in deeper context. Also to create some sort of structure, as my notes, what notes I have are all over the place.
Original post by DarkRoast
Yeah it's OCR, and well we have a spec, but what we seem to be doing is not as in depth as the spec shows, we just slightly touch on each topic, and we lose a lot of lessons through unforeseen circumstances. I'd just like to know the depth and to know how I could go about learning it in deeper context. Also to create some sort of structure, as my notes, what notes I have are all over the place.

I have the same problem. I think that generally the emphasis of the course is the extent to which the Romans changed Britain- 'Romanised' it, and whether this was a good or bad thing.
I love making tables, so if you wanted to draw up a massive table (or use excel) it might be helpful if you had columns down the side with the headings: Villas, government & admin, army, town, religion, roads, economy, art (the things on the spec)
With rows you could have: Evidence in favour of 'romanisation', evidence against, and then successes and failures.
So for example, with government:

Evidence in favour of 'romanisation': - Established a procurator and governor in the province. Britain did not have these pre-conquest.

Evidence against: The fact that many systems were based on pre-existing social structures

(so this would be answering the question of whether or not this particular element was 'romanised' although there's more detail and other evidence to be used)

Successes: - Creating client kingdoms were less of a strain on finance and resources on the Roman's behalf and it allowed the locals to have some sense of autonomy.

Failures: - Boudiccan revolt. Shows how sometimes the gov & admin was unsuccessful and there was civil unrest.

I think all the information needed to fill in such a table is found in the two set texts: Salway and Hill & Ireland.
This website also has great pages about specific topics http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Great_Britain/_Periods/Roman/_Texts/WARREB/home.html

Hope this is helpful.
Reply 3
Original post by Zarathustria
I have the same problem. I think that generally the emphasis of the course is the extent to which the Romans changed Britain- 'Romanised' it, and whether this was a good or bad thing.
I love making tables, so if you wanted to draw up a massive table (or use excel) it might be helpful if you had columns down the side with the headings: Villas, government & admin, army, town, religion, roads, economy, art (the things on the spec)
With rows you could have: Evidence in favour of 'romanisation', evidence against, and then successes and failures.
So for example, with government:

Evidence in favour of 'romanisation': - Established a procurator and governor in the province. Britain did not have these pre-conquest.

Evidence against: The fact that many systems were based on pre-existing social structures

(so this would be answering the question of whether or not this particular element was 'romanised' although there's more detail and other evidence to be used)

Successes: - Creating client kingdoms were less of a strain on finance and resources on the Roman's behalf and it allowed the locals to have some sense of autonomy.

Failures: - Boudiccan revolt. Shows how sometimes the gov & admin was unsuccessful and there was civil unrest.

I think all the information needed to fill in such a table is found in the two set texts: Salway and Hill & Ireland.
This website also has great pages about specific topics http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Great_Britain/_Periods/Roman/_Texts/WARREB/home.html

Hope this is helpful.

You are some sort of god

This is utterly fantastic and pure gold.

Highly appreciated. And much love!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are some sort of god

This is utterly fantastic and pure gold.

Highly appreciated. And much love!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem- it's probably a good idea to have an evidence column too- for inscriptions and artefacts that back up your points :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Yeah I have been :smile:

Was a great call that! Really got revision and understanding going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I have been :smile:

Was a great call that! Really got revision and understanding going.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope the exam went well for you today.
Reply 7
Thank you!!

Ah I thought the exam was a beauty. Religion and economy. Couldn't have asked for any more :smile:

Hope it was all good for you and you liked it as much as me :')
Did anyone do the first question, on the development of towns?
Reply 9
My entire year at college I believe did religion haha.
Thank you!!

Ah I thought the exam was a beauty. Religion and economy. Couldn't have asked for any more :smile:

Hope it was all good for you and you liked it as much as me :')

I feel exactly the same! Really nice questions. Hope unfit two goes well, which topic are you doing?

That does not bode well... I did the towns one, and it was horrible. regret my choice now.
Reply 12
I feel exactly the same! Really nice questions. Hope unfit two goes well, which topic are you doing?

Our second exam is Virgil and the world of heroes. The Aenead I know like the back of my hand, the Iliad though haha do not like that book at all.
Our second exam is Virgil and the world of heroes. The Aenead I know like the back of my hand, the Iliad though haha do not like that book at all.

Well good luck to you! I did the Odyssey as one of my units last year but other than that I don't know a lot about epic.
My second unit is Ancient Comic Drama. I cannot wait for this Thursday to be over, it's my last exam and my birthday is the day after!
Reply 14
Well good luck to you! I did the Odyssey as one of my units last year but other than that I don't know a lot about epic.
My second unit is Ancient Comic Drama. I cannot wait for this Thursday to be over, it's my last exam and my birthday is the day after!

Ahh well I wish you the best of luck for your last exam and a happy birthday for Friday, be able to enjoy it with no worries about exams :smile:

I have finished all my exams today so very pleased to be all done now!!
Could anyone help me with this?
Reply 16
Original post by sarahelizabth
Could anyone help me with this?

Sure I can give you a hand, it has been a while since I did this A level and I now live In Sri Lanka... but anyway, what is it you need help with and I will see what help I can provide
Sure I can give you a hand, it has been a while since I did this A level and I now live In Sri Lanka... but anyway, what is it you need help with and I will see what help I can provide

ANYTHING. like anything about roman britain. even if its only a tiny bit of help i would be so grateful!

Do you have any advice for Ancient Comic Drama and any useful tips for studying Roman Britain. thanks
Any help on essay structure would be really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending