The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography unit 4B 2013 June

Hey,
Was wondering what everyone thinks of the pre released booklet and how they're planning to revise it?
My teachers have only spent a couple of lessons on it so looks like i'll have to do all the work outside of school.. any suggestions?
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Hiya, have you been given the student booklet made by zigzag? I have and am working through it now. If you havent got it you can follow them on twitter @ZigZagGeography as they put lots of relevant stuff on there.

I like the topic its much more interesting and relates to everything I have been studying. Plus there wont be any questions about fieldwork.
There is bound to be a question on reliability of sources though!

I will only have about 4 lessons on it too.
Reply 2
Is it possible for you to send me the zig zag booklet as a pdf?
I'm afraid I can't do that due to copyright etc. My school has had to pay for it and I am not allowed to send it to you x
Reply 4
Is this going to be the thread for the exam
I think so, I can't find any others.
Does anyone have any sort of idea what to revise for this, or is everyone as stumped as I am?
Reply 7
As soon as this thread gets going, other people will join in hopefully :P

Really need to get an A in this D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Croydon'Stepper
Does anyone have any sort of idea what to revise for this, or is everyone as stumped as I am?

There's not much you can revise. I think your best bet is to ensure you actually know what is in the booklet and where so you don't waste time flicking through the booklet looking for that specific quote or statistic.

Also, look at the 3 websites that are on the back page, as they can ask you a question specifically on the content of those websites.
Reply 9
Also does anyone know the structure for this exam? like how many 5 markers? 6 markers? 10 markers? etc or does it vary? thanks :smile:
Reply 10
Will need as much help as possible for this......
Reply 11
Original post by Gary
Also does anyone know the structure for this exam? like how many 5 markers? 6 markers? 10 markers? etc or does it vary? thanks :smile:

It varies. I believe the previous one I looked at had questions ranging from 4 to 12 (potentially 15) marks. There's no set structure like there is for GEO3.
Reply 12
Original post by AndyD95
It varies. I believe the previous one I looked at had questions ranging from 4 to 12 (potentially 15) marks. There's no set structure like there is for GEO3.

Cheers for that!

Anyone have a list of the grade boundaries? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Around how much time is everyone else going to spend revising for this? It just doesn't seem like there's much you can revise :/
Reply 14
Looks like everyone is as frantic about this as I am! I would suggest getting the ZigZag booklet and working through that. If you don't have that available, then I would suggest doing some research and creating a sort of fact file on the earthquake. Get some background information, expand on what it gives you in the advance information booklet. After all, they will only ask you questions on the sources in the booklet, so if you can get as much background information on the specifics they can ask you, you can't go wrong! Other than that I don't think anyone can help, this exam is more about reasoning and responses than knowledge!
Reply 15
Original post by alibaxter
Around how much time is everyone else going to spend revising for this? It just doesn't seem like there's much you can revise :/

There isn't really much you can revise. Like I said above, it's more about ensuring you know what is in the booklet. Frankly I've got a psychology exam on the monday after this, so I'll be spending most of my time revising that instead of for this exam ^^
Reply 16
Think i'm feeling alright about this exam so far :smile: does anyone know if you're expected to use stuff like mann whitney and chi squared off the top of your head in an answer? EG. if you were asked whether there was a link between tectonic events and global warming the examiner would just expect you to incorporate chi squared into your answer? or would they specifically mention it? :smile:
Reply 17
What does it mean by 'seismic lensing'? on page 14
Reply 18
Original post by Gary
What does it mean by 'seismic lensing'? on page 14

My teacher explained this to us. To the south-east of Christchurch is a portion of land that is much harder (i.e. hard rock instead of soft rock) compared to the surrounding land. I believe it is Basaltic, due to NZ being an island arc on a oceanic plate. Because the rock there is much harder, the seismic waves were reflected back the way they came, resulting in a double-hit if you like for Christchurch.

The link shows a diagram of this.

http://all-geo.org/highlyallochthonous/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/seismiclens.png
Reply 19
Original post by AndyD95
My teacher explained this to us. To the south-east of Christchurch is a portion of land that is much harder (i.e. hard rock instead of soft rock) compared to the surrounding land. I believe it is Basaltic, due to NZ being an island arc on a oceanic plate. Because the rock there is much harder, the seismic waves were reflected back the way they came, resulting in a double-hit if you like for Christchurch.

The link shows a diagram of this.

http://all-geo.org/highlyallochthonous/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/seismiclens.png

My teacher is completely useless compared to yours lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending