The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Original post by ad-astra
No, I didn't even try which was so stupid. I wrote way too much for the short answers though. I don't take any sciences so I always feel like a massive douchebag when I try to use "scientific words". So for the tsunami question I was just like "the inverse relationship between etcetc" and in my head I was thinking "the examiner is going to think you're a total gimp".

I hope it goes well for ya though dawg xoxox

You'll be able to get full marks without mentioning it anyways so no worries!

And yeah, all the best to you too mate!
Reply 3001
Original post by willblank
For the ecosystems essay - 'asses the impact of human activities on ecosystems on a local scale' (the question was roughly like that), is it ok to include plagioclimax (heather moorland) and climatic climax (Morfa Harlech) in this essay?

I did exactly the same! Heather moorland example, conservation of climatic climax and other small examples! World cities Mann whitney test was hard if you did that one?!
Reply 3002
Do you think any teachers will complain to the exam board about the Mann Whiney U test? Seems a valid argument.
Original post by MrAeroz
The person I'm quoting did 25 marks on globalization and world cities and people seem to think as they were both from the same section he will only be credited for his highest 25 marker and his essay :smile:

The front of the paper says this:

Answer three options: one from each Section. In Section C, you must not answer the same option as those chosen in Sections A and B.

So you are right. Oh dam, some better tell some of my friends then, shiiiiiit the look on their faces when the find out...
Wtf is a Mann Whitney U test?! Hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Becky1144
What did people wrote about for the world cities 8 marker ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The one about 'Define a world city and describe them or something?
well I defined it (obviously) then gave some examples. I literally then blabbled on about why they are important and have impact around the world. I brought in about TNC's and how the headquarters are located in world cities due to good transport links/educated workforce and then spoke about how imporant this was for the global economy. Then talked about tokyo and electronics and blahblah. I ended it by saying that in the future there will be more world cities in ledcs/nics, such as India due to changes in job sector (service sector)
literally waffled so much. didnt know what to put haha, the question threw me, wasnt expecting it.
wbu?
Reply 3006
Original post by SyntaxZogre
The front of the paper says this:

Answer three options: one from each Section. In Section C, you must not answer the same option as those chosen in Sections A and B.

So you are right. Oh dam, some better tell some of my friends then, shiiiiiit the look on their faces when the find out...

Give them my best! Hope they do well anyway :frown: T
Reply 3007
Original post by joereed
Do you think any teachers will complain to the exam board about the Mann Whiney U test? Seems a valid argument.

I can definitely see my teacher complaining, every exam she's emailing the exam board complaining about ****
Original post by Daniel George
what grade does everyone think they will get after this exam?

it really depends on the type of examiner haha, I reckon A/B. I feel like the essay went well and my short answers were ok. rushed the world cities ones at the end though but essay>short answers any day haha, wbu?
Original post by flower124
I'm not sure if half the stuff I talked about was relevant to be honest! I talked about how the UK is on the polar edge of a ferrel cell so it gets tropical air rising from the Hadley cell and polar air subsiding from the polar cell causing depressions! Also talked about how it was near the polar jet stream (don't think this is right!) between Ferrel and polar cells so cold upper atmospheric winds cool temperatures?! For oceanic I talked about how it was surrounded by sea so the sea brings cool winds in summer to the land as land heats up quicker than sea and warm winds in winter as sea keeps its heat longer and added about the north atlantic drift warming temperatures!! Have no idea about this question :/

Oh no! I totally forgot to mention about the Ferrel,Hadley, Polar cells! I think you got that right! Yeah I wrote about the North Atlantic drift too and I just talked a bit about the 5 airmasses that affect the British isles. Oh and basically just said we get 50 depressions a year, but that could've been written on the synoptic map... Aghhh and the world cities questions about megacities was horrendous!
Original post by Cloehbaybiie
The one about 'Define a world city and describe them or something?
well I defined it (obviously) then gave some examples. I literally then blabbled on about why they are important and have impact around the world. I brought in about TNC's and how the headquarters are located in world cities due to good transport links/educated workforce and then spoke about how imporant this was for the global economy. Then talked about tokyo and electronics and blahblah. I ended it by saying that in the future there will be more world cities in ledcs/nics, such as India due to changes in job sector (service sector)
literally waffled so much. didnt know what to put haha, the question threw me, wasnt expecting it.
wbu?

I did not write anything like that - I started talking about them being a financial centre and a sphere of influence and spatial proximity and as a resource centre - not sure that it is right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by V95
the globalisation 40 maker was on Trade and Aid but i misinterpreted the question talked only about aid - how many marks max do you reckon i can get for the essay now? :frown: the essay was based on LDCs that's why i thought it was talking about aid. i feel so stupid now

Dude, you can interpret as ever you please. I talked about the causes of poverty, then how they could be resolved internally (with examples) and how they might need to be resolved externally (with examples).
I did not write anything like that - I started talking about them being a financial centre and a sphere of influence and spatial proximity and as a resource centre - not sure that it is right

Posted from TSR Mobile

as long as you named examples and backed up what you were saying im sure you'll be fine :smile: x
Reply 3013
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Dude, you can interpret as ever you please. I talked about the causes of poverty, then how they could be resolved internally (with examples) and how they might need to be resolved externally (with examples).

omg really?! everyone was telling me that trade was a really big factor in the question so i was ****ting myself! if that's the case then you've just improved my mood lol, thanks! which examples did you use if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 3014
Can someone reassure me with the past few years grade boundaries? What was it to get an A? and do you reckon it will go up this year?
Original post by Cloehbaybiie
it really depends on the type of examiner haha, I reckon A/B. I feel like the essay went well and my short answers were ok. rushed the world cities ones at the end though but essay>short answers any day haha, wbu?

same, I feel confident - but that is usually a bad thing :/ and everyone else seems to have done really well, meaning grade boundaries are probably higher! Also, I was really tired in the exam so I probably didn't write properly - anxious wait until the 16th august....
For those wondering about which questions you answer; you have to pick 25 markers from section A AND B. So that's one physical 25 marker and one human 25 marker. You also have to answer one essay question which are in section C. You cannot pick a topic you answered in either section A or B for the essay.

So me for example, I picked tectonics 25 marker, development and globalisation 25 marker and a world cities essay.

Found the exam pretty okay, hopefully get a decent mark in it. My AIB has brought my total grade in geography down with only managing a C in the AIB, really felt this was harshly marked though so am going to need a high mark in this exam to get the A. Not bothered if I don't quite reach the A this year as I'm probably going to take a gap year regardless, so can resit the AIB if need be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad-astra
Thank God someone else did it the same way hahah, I was starting to freak out that I had just seen the question in a totally different way; I can see how both ways are valid though. Totally forgot about the R&D thing because I had ranted about it in the 7 marker before.

Which essay did you do?

I did Tectonics essay, not sure how I did on it tbh. If my teachers mark similarly to examiners I'll be alright!

Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the same as you, did you get that from the textbook with the picture of rocks on the front?
Original post by Daniel George
same, I feel confident - but that is usually a bad thing :/ and everyone else seems to have done really well, meaning grade boundaries are probably higher! Also, I was really tired in the exam so I probably didn't write properly - anxious wait until the 16th august....

15th :wink:! At least its one day earlier than you think :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending