The Student Room Group

becoming a chartered accountant

I am doing geography,accounts and business studies at a level do l have a chance to become a chartered accountant

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coujarnow
I am doing geography,accounts and business studies at a level do l have a chance to become a chartered accountant

Yes- for now aim for at least 320 UCAS points, 340 ideally
Two main routes
1) University degree- Any degree would suffice tbh but if you know you want to be an accountant or go into any other finance route, its probably better to do an accounting and finance degree as you can some ACA exemptions
However, the best A+F courses do require mathematics A level (i.e. LSE, Warwick etc.). But any A+F degree should be good enough as long as you have a 2.1 and have 320+ UCAS points (though some service lines need 300)

2) School Leaver Scheme (with uni)
KPMG+ Durham, Birmingham, Exeter- 6 year scheme where you get paid 20k at the start, goes up to 43 I think- obtain work experience, an accountancy degree and the ACA qualification
PwC + Newcastle/Reading- 5 year scheme- Accountancy degree, almost fully ACA qualified, gain experience
EY+ Lancaster- 5 year scheme as well I think
BDO Audit, EY Audit/Corporate Finance, Deloitte, Grant Thornton, RSM Tennon, PwC all do other school leaver schemes where no uni is involved
(edited 10 years ago)
Really, you'd find stacking shelves or cleaning other people's litter your whole life interesting? Each to their own...

Posted from TSR for iPad
Aren't you the guy that constantly moans on in the 'I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs' thread? The one who has been unemployed for over 9 month stretches and only recently got their first 'permanent' job since graduating in June 2010?! (One you have now quit, because you can't hold down a job)

No offence, but I doubt you could even get onto an accountancy training contract, so your opinion is kind of worthless.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by stevelondon24
Aren't you the guy that constantly moans on in the 'I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs' thread? The one who has been unemployed for over 9 month stretches and only recently got their first 'permanent' job since graduating in June 2010?! (One you have now quit, because you can't hold down a job)

No offence, but I doubt you could even get onto an accountancy training contract, so your opinion is kind of worthless.

Pos rep!

Love how you created a account just to post that :wink:
You can be a chartered accountant easily with just a decent degree

UCAS Points do help you start off and get into the better uni, but that's it -- I've been told the significance of UCAS points is becoming less and less by the day for graduates from uni

Do an A+F degree, get a 2:1 or a 1st, you will have up to 9 ACCA exemptions (need to pass the extra 5 professional papers in order to qualify as a Chartered Accountant) - then you're sorted.

My dad is a chartered accountant and his UCAS points aren't as high as some will have you believe, his salary is good too - all this myth about UCAS points is balls as far as I know - only important to get into the university.
Reply 6
UCAS points can't be completely ignored. The big firms have degree and UCAS requirements eg KPMG want at least a 2.1 and 320 UCAS points. Even small firms will find a consistent academic record appealing if they are funding further study. Of course people can and do qualify with poor A levels, but it can limit some options.
Reply 7
Who would give up 100k a year to do that lmao
Have you actually tried shelf stacking and accountancy?
Original post by marple
UCAS points can't be completely ignored. The big firms have degree and UCAS requirements eg KPMG want at least a 2.1 and 320 UCAS points. Even small firms will find a consistent academic record appealing if they are funding further study. Of course people can and do qualify with poor A levels, but it can limit some options.

I'm not saying they should be completely ignored, all I'm saying is the significance of them is lowering and is lower than the type of degree
Isn't shelf stacking equally boring, by the very least? Definitely not so much more enjoyable that I'd give up 100k/year to do it :nothing:
You tried accountancy, so I assume you're not doing it now... what are you doing now?
I'm training as an accountant (do I sound boring? :biggrin:) but I don't plan to work in a practice for the rest of my life. Once I qualify i'll be looking to start my own firm or become a finance director in new start ups. Unlike you, I like to have a clear path and focus all my efforts on it. Theres nothing wrong with having a load of different careers, but I'd rather work my way up in one specific career than be a 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

I've also worked part time in a retail store (not shelf stacking, but same idea). It was much worse than what I do now. Then it was just a case of see a warehouse location, pick item and give to customer- now repeat. That was the job. I was fed up with it after a month. This job I do now however requires me to think and I already feel that i'm progressing more than I did in the retail job (Not to mention two weeks at my current job pays me more than a month at the retail store :colone:)

Oh, and one more thing:

you get to meet interesting people though! I met tim burton, ken livingston, and lots of interesting people around finchley - FAR more interesting than accountants hehe :smile:

If it's any help, lots of celebs have accountants, so you can get a fair share of celebs within accountancy too :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by accountant-future
I'm not saying they should be completely ignored, all I'm saying is the significance of them is lowering and is lower than the type of degree

Depends on your career aspirations. If you want to train at a big 4 (or top 20 as far as I know), ucas tariffs are a requirement.

That statement alone proves you know nothing.
Original post by accountant-future

My dad is a chartered accountant and his UCAS points aren't as high as some will have you believe, his salary is good too - all this myth about UCAS points is balls as far as I know - only important to get into the university.

It's not balls. You will get dinged by the auto filter of most decent sized firms if you have crap A-level grades.

The employment landscape has changed a lot recently - your dad probably got chartered in a time before UCAS points mattered (or probably even existed).
Oxbridge don't but the vast majority of Russell Group uni's do.

Clearly some people find accountancy mentally fulfilling, challenging and stimulating or the top grad schemes wouldn't attract some of the top graduates.

Clearly just a troll so I don't know why I'm bothering to reply :confused:
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Oxbridge don't but the vast majority of Russell Group uni's do.

Clearly some people find accountancy mentally fulfilling, challenging and stimulating or the top grad schemes wouldn't attract some of the top graduates.

Clearly just a troll so I don't know why I'm bothering to reply :confused:

LSE
Warwick
Durham
Bristol
Bath

To name a few..

I expect Oxbridge to offer degrees in accounting, or at least joint degrees relatively soon.

I'm personally from an engineering background and I managed to do a module in accounting. The mathematical operations are easy, but that's not to say it's an easy subject because there is so much you need to memorise (I'm sure people doing the ACA would attest to that). You don't do calculations in a law degree, and yet law is one of the hardest degrees out there.

[Btw I know I'm quoting you but this is more directed to the guy you quoted]
I'm glad you're judging the entire population of accountants on one guy who was sitting quietly revising (and he probably didn't talk to you because he was revising!)
I have just finished a maths degree.
Why not? Accounting is very business oriented. If you enjoy working with numbers, and you find business interesting, accounting is a great fit.

Accounting can also be lucrative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending