The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology B4B5B6 - 10/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by IHTWFR
It's about 41/85 for an A

What do you think it would be for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Knowing
What do you think it would be for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In Jan for b1,2and ,3 it was 56% for an A* :smile: but I dont think this paper has actually been sat before under the new spec so I'm guessing the A* boundary will be a tad lower at around 55% or maybe slightly higher if the paper's easier, I doubt it will go above 65% though
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Hmm...so I guess we don't need too much of a complex explanation :smile:

By the way, I also have the Lonsdale book for biology and co2 concentration was on page 92 I think :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

but that's all about the kidneys and stuff D: oh well haha

No wait solved the mystery! page 91, tiny box in the excretion bit!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NatashaG
but that's all about the kidneys and stuff D: oh well haha

No wait solved the mystery! page 91, tiny box in the excretion bit!

Haha, fair enough :wink:

I posted my question here and managed to get an answers- it's here if you're interested :smile: -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2375404

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app]Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Whats new about this specification and what do we need to know about the ten mark question?
Original post by sunshine333
Whats new about this specification and what do we need to know about the ten mark question?

Well, mainly, the new specifcation has had some topics moved about...If you're looking to do past papers from the old spec, then it should be fine to do so for physics and biology but for chemistry, you would need to do the C3,C5 and C6 modules in the papers (because in the new spec, C4 corresponds to C3 in the old spec).

The 10 mark question at the end is mainly about you applying your knowledge- e.g. they could ask you to design an experiment or they could ask you to compare data etc. I'm not completely certain on this section but that's what I've been told... :smile:
Reply 386
Well, mainly, the new specifcation has had some topics moved about...If you're looking to do past papers from the old spec, then it should be fine to do so for physics and biology but for chemistry, you would need to do the C3,C5 and C6 modules in the papers (because in the new spec, C4 corresponds to C3 in the old spec).

The 10 mark question at the end is mainly about you applying your knowledge- e.g. they could ask you to design an experiment or they could ask you to compare data etc. I'm not completely certain on this section but that's what I've been told... :smile:

How new is this? We do C3 twice in exams? :O
Original post by andersson
How new is this? We do C3 twice in exams? :O

I've probably confused myself :tongue:
This is what I meant as the content is virtually the same (with only a few differences between the old and new syllabus):

C! and C2 in the old spec correspond to C1 and C2 in the new spec.
C3 in the old spec corresponds to C4 in the new spec.
C4 in the old spec corresponds to C3 in the new spec (it's as though they've swapped C3 and C4 around in the new syllabus).
C5 and C6 in the old spec correspond to C5 and C6 in the new spec.

By the way, by "new spec" I mean the one we're doing at the moment (since it was introduced in 2011 when we begun doing the course) and by "old spec" I mean the course everyone else did before us... :smile:
Reply 388
I've probably confused myself :tongue:
This is what I meant as the content is virtually the same (with only a few differences between the old and new syllabus):

C! and C2 in the old spec correspond to C1 and C2 in the new spec.
C3 in the old spec corresponds to C4 in the new spec.
C4 in the old spec corresponds to C3 in the new spec (it's as though they've swapped C3 and C4 around in the new syllabus).
C5 and C6 in the old spec correspond to C5 and C6 in the new spec.

By the way, by "new spec" I mean the one we're doing at the moment (since it was introduced in 2011 when we begun doing the course) and by "old spec" I mean the course everyone else did before us... :smile:

Oh phew, I panicked for a moment there, thinking that the whole course had suddenly changed just before the exam. Thank you! :biggrin:

Thank you so much! Are you revising from the CGP guides?
Reply 390
Who's up for starting a revision question-answer thing (if that has an official name, i have no idea what it is) here? :biggrin:
Original post by sunshine333
Thank you so much! Are you revising from the CGP guides?

No, I've got the Collins revision guides but I also have the Lonsdale ones as well... :biggrin:
any tips for revising the kidney and menstruation??? know the rest but i keep tripping up on them!!! thanks

by the way, the coursework was out of 48; what does this equate to in ums; eg 100??? b123 = 140 ums b456 = 160 ums

pretty sure its 100. i got 38 for bio coursework and 137/140. so a star still in reach

cheers guys

tazza :-)
Original post by tazza ma razza
any tips for revising the kidney and menstruation??? know the rest but i keep tripping up on them!!! thanks

by the way, the coursework was out of 48; what does this equate to in ums; eg 100??? b123 = 140 ums b456 = 160 ums

pretty sure its 100. i got 38 for bio coursework and 137/140. so a star still in reach

cheers guys

tazza :-)

I'd say... 80+137 = 217

A* you'd need about 143/160 which is a high A. Probably about 50 marks out of 85?:dontknow:
No, I've got the Collins revision guides but I also have the Lonsdale ones as well... :biggrin:

The CGP guides are amazing, i truly recommend them.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'd say... 80+137 = 217

A* you'd need about 143/160 which is a high A. Probably about 50 marks out of 85?:dontknow:

i got 44/48 in coursework and 128 ums(jan exam)..how many raw marks aprox would i need for an A* in biology?

i got 40/48 in coursework and 116 ums..how many raw marks aprox would i need for an A* in chemistry?

i got 44/48 in coursework and 137/140 ums...how many raw marks aprox would i need for an A* in physics?
Reply 396
Seeing as no one replied to my earlier post I'll take it as a yes. :wink: I'll start:

What can you do to reduce the process of decay with food?

(Once you answer, ask another question and correct people who answer incorrectly).
Original post by andersson
Seeing as no one replied to my earlier post I'll take it as a yes. :wink: I'll start:

What can you do to reduce the process of decay with food?

(Once you answer, ask another question and correct people who answer incorrectly).

refrigerate it slows the process.
um......store in vinegar reduces the oxygen reaching the bacteria
dry it out to reduce water content
Reply 398
Original post by benwalters1996
refrigerate it slows the process.
um......store in vinegar reduces the oxygen reaching the bacteria
dry it out to reduce water content

Right apart from the vinegar, it is acidic which kills/damages the microorganisms. There's 'canning' where you store food in cans without air which keeps microorganisms out. Also adding salt or sugar forces water out of the microorganisms through osmosis which damages them.
Original post by benwalters1996
i got 44/48 in coursework and 128 ums(jan exam)..how many raw marks aprox would i need for an A* in biology?

i got 40/48 in coursework and 116 ums..how many raw marks aprox would i need for an A* in chemistry?

i got 44/48 in coursework and 137/140 ums...how many raw marks aprox would i need for an A* in physics?

Biology: 140/160 ---> 46/85
Chemistry: 160/160 :dontknow:
Physics: 130/160 ---> 40/85?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending