The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature- Love Through The Ages

hey everyone, I couldn't find this year's thread so I thought I'd make one...

I'm just getting my wider reading together and I'm slightly confused as to what it should consist of. Are you meant to have a selection of texts analysed with relevant quotes for each genre over time or should I have a range of texts that tackle the different themes of love over the time period?

For example, 5 generic Poetry wider reading texts over the time period, OR 5 poetry wider reading texts with each text being about a different theme, so one text being unrequited love, the other being forbidden love etc.... Wouldn't the latter method be the correct way of approaching it?!?

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense! x
I'd appreciate your help!! *panicking*
Reply 1
im currently using a table which i compiled on poetry. thrs about 8 poems from different eras and different themes on love. i hve a column on themes form structure language and quotes. they are all on diff types of love but if you know a good poem on family love (filial) please let me know. :yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by kaz95
im currently using a table which i compiled on poetry. thrs about 8 poems from different eras and different themes on love. i hve a column on themes form structure language and quotes. they are all on diff types of love but if you know a good poem on family love (filial) please let me know. :yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sylvia Plath's 'Before You Were Mine' is really good for mother-daughter relationship; it's probably easier to find plays and prose with familial love, like Miller's 'Death of a Salesman'.
Reply 3
Time periods is probably an ineffective way of doing it. I've done it as you say, by types of love. I've covered a range of different types of love, with maybe things that may affect the love or be as a result of it i.e. jealousy, irrationality, regret etc.

For familial love, I have The First Tooth by Mary Lamb as it covers the sibling relationship and jealousy too. So I can use it for either.
Reply 4
i have no idea how to structure this essay
Reply 5
Original post by Charlye
i have no idea how to structure this essay

If you can, get your teacher to get you an exemplar essay, and try and mirror the structure of that, that's basically what I've done.

My structure is essentially:

Point 1 - Extract A
Point 1 - Extract B
Link to wider reading, showing a clear similarity and/or difference
Point 2 - Extract A
Point 2 - Extract B
Link to wider reading, showing a clear similarity and/or difference

Plus I just wieve in AO4 here and there where appropriate, so for example, if I'm talking about hope and extract A explores a lack of hope because of alienation, then I just say 'Alienation was a prominent idea explored by Modernist writers in the 20th Century, reflecting a period of closed emotion and lack of liberalism following two world wars.' That's why it's essential to know time periods.
Reply 6
a few important points:
vocabulary- AO1 use fancy words here and there but make sure your writing makes sense.

critical reception- how the text was received and how it would be in modern context and whether the ideas on love resonate with a modern audience.

at least 2 alternative and critical views- eg. others may argue....
a feminist/marxist interpretation would be...

context-how social attitudes affected the reception of text
when it was written and its contextual impact.

at least 3 wider reading links- quality not quantity. has to have a strong link to the extract.
if you have all of this you can easily get a band 4. (A*!!!)
hope that helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by legendaryy
hey everyone, I couldn't find this year's thread so I thought I'd make one...

I'm just getting my wider reading together and I'm slightly confused as to what it should consist of. Are you meant to have a selection of texts analysed with relevant quotes for each genre over time or should I have a range of texts that tackle the different themes of love over the time period?

For example, 5 generic Poetry wider reading texts over the time period, OR 5 poetry wider reading texts with each text being about a different theme, so one text being unrequited love, the other being forbidden love etc.... Wouldn't the latter method be the correct way of approaching it?!?

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense! x
I'd appreciate your help!! *panicking*

Hope you're enjoying the course! This brings me back to the days I was doing this two years ago... :daydreaming:

When I studied English Literature, I actually grouped my wider reading by imagery (animals, nature and so on) which I found more helpful than organising by theme. Some people in my class organised their wider reading by time period, some organised it by theme and some in more adventurous ways. :smile: There is no correct way to do it, whatever makes sense to you is fine. Ultimately, the exam tests you on your ability to recall and make links with wider reading (among other things), not how structured your list of wider reading is!

When you do use wider reading into the exam, remember it doesn't have to just link in by theme or context. You can link by form, structure or language - if you spot use of hyperbole to display passion in an extract and you've read a text that does that, then that link is fine. If you can do both then even better. The possibilities are endless!

Of course, you should try to get a general overview of how attitudes have changed over time. For some of your texts, it may be worth looking into the context (e.g. How politics shapes some of Shakespeare's writing) or critical reception at time of publication (e.g. Lady Chatterley's Lover was initially banned) to get those AO4 marks.

Best of luck with your exams! :biggrin:
Original post by Beth1234
Hope you're enjoying the course! This brings me back to the days I was doing this two years ago... :daydreaming:

When I studied English Literature, I actually grouped my wider reading by imagery (animals, nature and so on) which I found more helpful than organising by theme. Some people in my class organised their wider reading by time period, some organised it by theme and some in more adventurous ways. :smile: There is no correct way to do it, whatever makes sense to you is fine. Ultimately, the exam tests you on your ability to recall and make links with wider reading (among other things), not how structured your list of wider reading is!

When you do use wider reading into the exam, remember it doesn't have to just link in by theme or context. You can link by form, structure or language - if you spot use of hyperbole to display passion in an extract and you've read a text that does that, then that link is fine. If you can do both then even better. The possibilities are endless!

Of course, you should try to get a general overview of how attitudes have changed over time. For some of your texts, it may be worth looking into the context (e.g. How politics shapes some of Shakespeare's writing) or critical reception at time of publication (e.g. Lady Chatterley's Lover was initially banned) to get those AO4 marks.

Best of luck with your exams! :biggrin:

Lol everyone did this exam on Thursday. Some very good advice just a little late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Lol everyone did this exam on Thursday. Some very good advice just a little late.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see. :colondollar: Oh well, maybe next year's students will stumble across this...

Hope you all did well anyway! :biggrin:
Original post by Beth1234
Ah I see. :colondollar: Oh well, maybe next year's students will stumble across this...

Hope you all did well anyway! :biggrin:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending