The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology B4B5B6 - 10/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by andersson
Thin - less distance to diffuse
Large internal surface area - air spaces in the spongy mesophyll layer mean there is more area for gas exchange
Stomata - allow gases to flow in and out

What happens in coronary heart disease?

A high level of cholesterol/fat builds up in the coronary artery, restricting blood flow to the heart, which can lead to a heart attack.

Describe the contributions of Galen and William Harvey to blood circulation and the heart.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 481
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Tsr Party :rolleyes: knowing me I'll miss it:mmm:

Original post by BP_Tranquility
A contractile vacuole can be used so that any excess water is stored into it. The contractile vacuole attaches to the cell membrane and water is emptied out. It can be used to prevent water (e.g in a river) from diffusing too much into the amoeba.

Give 3 ways in which leaves are adapted to increase the rate diffusion of carbon dioxide and water.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by carns
I got 140 ums (full) in b1, b2, b3 but still have to get about a high A to get an A* due to coursework. :P

do you guys want to join.it is good!

we have barely started though
Reply 482
Join me and Ryan on google hangouts! Go on your Google+ account (you will have one if you have a gmail) and download the plugin to be able to do hangouts if you haven't already. Then Ryan or I will add you.
Reply 483
Come on guys we're doing much faster question-answer stuff on google hangouts and we're sharing revision. We're only using chat though so don't be shy. :biggrin:
A high level of cholesterol/fat builds up in the coronary artery, restricting blood flow to the heart, which can lead to a heart attack.

Describe the contributions of Galen and William Harvey to blood circulation and the heart.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Galen said blood was produced in the liver and moved in a tide between the liver and heart and he said that blood moved through invisible holes in the septum.

Harvey said that the heart pumped the blood away from the heart through the arteries and blood travelled into the heart through veins which have valves to prevent back flow.

What are the saprophytes role in decay? and how do they play their role?
Reply 485
Tsr Party :rolleyes: knowing me I'll miss it:mmm:

A contractile vacuole can be used so that any excess water is stored into it. The contractile vacuole attaches to the cell membrane and water is emptied out. It can be used to prevent water (e.g in a river) from diffusing too much into the amoeba.

Give 3 ways in which leaves are adapted to increase the rate diffusion of carbon dioxide and water.

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you coming ?
Reply 486
Original post by Jatz07
hey, what is this? a revision lesson???

can i join?

jatz

Not really a lesson, we're just asking each other questions on chat as practice for the exam. PM ryan your gmail if you're interested. :smile:
Reply 487
Original post by Jatz07
hey, what is this? a revision lesson???

can i join?

jatz

yeah i will add you :biggrin:
Original post by ryanb97
are you coming ?

:nah: doing some S1 :redface:
Original post by andersson
Join me and Ryan on google hangouts! Go on your Google+ account (you will have one if you have a gmail) and download the plugin to be able to do hangouts if you haven't already. Then Ryan or I will add you.

Original post by ryanb97
are you coming ?

No, sorry can't come today since I'm doing some past papers...I'll see if I can come on tomorrow :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 490
:nah: doing some S1 :redface:

No, sorry can't come today since I'm doing some past papers...I'll see if I can come on tomorrow :biggrin:

alright .. np
Original post by ryanb97
alright .. np

By the way, I've just noticed that you're not signing off with your name anymore :tongue:
Original post by NatashaG
Question and answer guys? if anyone's up for it :P

Explain how the elbow joint acting as a pivot is an advantage (in terms of arm movement)?

it increase the effort and therefore results to a great force...
Galen said blood was produced in the liver and moved in a tide between the liver and heart and he said that blood moved through invisible holes in the septum.

Harvey said that the heart pumped the blood away from the heart through the arteries and blood travelled into the heart through veins which have valves to prevent back flow.

What are the saprophytes role in decay? and how do they play their role?

Saprophytes decompose dead materials release nutrients needed for plants to grow. They play their role by releasing enzymes to break food outside and when the food is digested they reabsorb the simple soluble molucle...:smile:

Explain how DNA fingerprints are produced?
Reply 494
By the way, I've just noticed that you're not signing off with your name anymore :tongue:

Original post by Jatz07
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL Same!!!!!!!
ryan always signs off with his name! :rolleyes:

Jatz

i cba most of the time .. :sorry::dontknow:
Original post by 123..help me
Saprophytes decompose dead materials release nutrients needed for plants to grow. They play their role by releasing enzymes to break food outside and when the food is digested they reabsorb the simple soluble molucle...:smile:

Explain how DNA fingerprints are produced?

this is true put I asked about decay not plant growth :P by breaking down detritus the saprophytes increase the surface area of the plant material making it easier for micro-organisms to feed on the particles, speeding up decay :smile:

First a sample of DNA is extracted from human body tissue
Then it is fragmented using restriction enzymes
Then is is separated using electrophoresis
Then the DNA finger print is visualised using a radioactive probe.

what are the problems associated with longer life expectancy?
this is true put I asked about decay not plant growth :P by breaking down detritus the saprophytes increase the surface area of the plant material making it easier for micro-organisms to feed on the particles, speeding up decay :smile:

There is shortage of housing, the medical use will be higher so will cause taxpayers to pay more and people will live to old so therefore more pensions will be given out which is a bad thing for the government.

Explain how leaves are adapted for diffusion?

On a personal level, it can give you a longer retirement but can also increase the chances of receiving an age-related disease. From a national level, it can provide extra burden/pressure on medical supplies.
Anymore questions?
Whoops forgot to add a question to my post :colondollar:

Here's one: what do amniocentesis and chromosomal analysis do during foetal scanning and give an ethical issue that arises due to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending