The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BUSS3, 13 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

also is operating profit the same as gross profit :s-smilie:??? i hate that maths-y bit of business </3
Original post by sofiax0
also is operating profit the same as gross profit :s-smilie:??? i hate that maths-y bit of business </3

Operating profit is the same as net profit (technically there is a different but they conflate them for A2, and assume them the same).

Gross profit margin is revenue minus cost of sales and net profit margin is revenue minus cost of sales and other expenses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
Operating profit is the same as net profit (technically there is a different but they conflate them for A2, and assume them the same).

Gross profit margin is revenue minus cost of sales and net profit margin is revenue minus cost of sales and other expenses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay so in terms of roce its: net profit/ total equity + non-current liabilities?

:smile:
I'm re-sitting this. I need to learn all the ratios and exam technique :s-smilie:
Original post by sofiax0

Revenue - cost of sales = gross profit

gross profit - expenses = operating profit

operating profit - finance cost = profit before tax

profit before tax - tax = profit for the year (Net profit).

To answer your question, no they are not the same thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sofiax0
okay so in terms of roce its: net profit/ total equity + non-current liabilities?

:smile:

That's right.

Total Equity = Shareholders Capital + Reserves/Retained Earnings

Non-Current Liabilities = Long-Term Loans :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arnoob
I'm re-sitting this. I need to learn all the ratios and exam technique :s-smilie:

You don't need to know them as we get given the formula sheet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by sofiax0

Gross Profit = Sales Revenue - Cost of Sales

Operating Profit = Gross Profit - Overheads
Original post by jacktomos95
You don't need to know them as we get given the formula sheet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I mean I need to practice them :redface:
Reply 69
Do they give you the forumlas for Investment Appraisal?
Original post by Indyy
Do they give you the forumlas for Investment Appraisal?

nope.
Reply 71
For Payback period, do we have to work out the cumulative returns or is that part of the column will be done already?
Reply 72
Also, how do i know what discount rate to use for NPV?

So many damn questions i have....
Original post by Indyy
Also, how do i know what discount rate to use for NPV?

So many damn questions i have....

For Payback, just give the answer in years and months or years and weeks. You might need to do that as part of the working out but it's not required in the answer. For NPV they will give the discount rate, if not, then use whatever interest rate is stated in the case study. Or you might be asked to choose, so go with the one that reflects the risk/current interest rate/or harshest measure. Never known them not to directly give it to you though, it'd be unusual for them to do it otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Im so bad at the maths part. I literally lose all my marks on those parts. Anyone have any advice or material i can practise
Original post by A00
Im so bad at the maths part. I literally lose all my marks on those parts. Anyone have any advice or material i can practise

Just look at past papers and practice the ratios and there should be at least one or two papers with investment appraisal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else think a question from the finance section will come up? They didnt ask one in jan 2013.
Reply 77
Original post by Infamous12
Anyone else think a question from the finance section will come up? They didnt ask one in jan 2013.

Probably I'm revising Finance a tonne right now.
Original post by CharlieTT
Probably I'm revising Finance a tonne right now.

Its situations like these where i am so happy i study accounting. Haha.
I'm worried about the timing, that's why I'm resitting - totally got in a muddle with how much time I was spending on each question. For everyone who is worried about the ratios - it's essential that you understand what they mean and how to use them rather than how to calculate them as the formulas are at the front of the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending