The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology B4B5B6 - 10/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanb97
oh wow....our year only has 150 people i think
so are some of your subjects just on different exam boards e.g. english

but wow....how many exams did you have - will have had?

Sadly even though they make us take PE under supervised conditions, we don't get a GCSE for it. And I have 19 exams in total. I've done 13 exams already. 6 more to go!

English I do AQA too, so at the end I get 2 language qualifications due to my iGCSE English which is a Cambridge University endorsed GCSE. I do different exam boards for RE, I have to take 2 exams for that. Maths is AQA. And the rest are different too.

What about you?
Original post by IHTWFR
They aren't but sadly OCR beg to differ.

The consequences of damaged valves is the risk of back flow which causes deoxygenated blood and oxygenated blood to mix meaning less oxygeon to the body causing heart to work faster - is this right? It can be fixed by artificial heart valves replacing the old valves however there is a disadvantage as this needs regular maintenance... I don't think what I said was right?

I have no clue about coronary arteries, all I know is that they are blocked due to a build up of fatty
acids??

How are minerals in active transport taken up by the plant and what type of concentration does the soil have in which the minerals are taken up from?

I've attached what it says directly from the specification because I probably would ramble on (ignore my highlighting :wink: ... :tongue:

Soil has a low concentration of minerals and they are taken up by carrier molecules from the plant from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration (against the concentration gradient which requires energy).

What happens during an asthma attack? :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370727056.913643.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryanb97
wow... a lot of poeple are like that

i should be revising...not procrastinating... did anyone see simon cowell get egged on BGT final ?

im going

Thanks for spoiling it! I was planning on watching it later but my Cousin who teaches GCSE Science came over to help me with a few things so I tried consolidating that knowledge by taking up to the forums here :smile:
Original post by andersson
Seeing as we're on the subject, before I came on TSR I would have been really happy with just one or two A*s, but the longer I spend here and the more really successful and smart people I see, the higher my expectations go. Now I'm expecting myself to get at least 6 A*s. -.-

Honestly, I feel the same way. I thought if I beat my brothers achievement of 6A's and 7 B 's by getting 8 A's and the rest B's I would make my mum proud. But looking at my school predictions, my predictions are becoming more achievable by being on TSR :smile:
Original post by IHTWFR
I hope it does boost my mark :smile: I was forced to take ICT, iGCSE English, RE and Graphics as additional subjects so I had no choice as did the other 295 in my year :smile:

I was forced to take English literature (isn't that supposed to be optional?), religious studies and ICT double award...but I hose geography, French and triple science as my options...I feel your pain in being forced to take non compulsory subjects (unless you enjoyed them of course) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I've attached what it says directly from the specification because I probably would ramble on (ignore my highlighting :wink: ... :tongue:

Soil has a low concentration of minerals and they are taken up by carrier molecules from the plant from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration (against the concentration gradient which requires energy).

What happens during an asthma attack? :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370727056.913643.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

That looks cool! Where is that from?

Nice use of information especially in the brackets about the gradient.

During an asthma attack, the linings of the airways become inflamed which makes the cells produce more mucus causing it to block the airways.

Why do some people think organic crops are better than crops which have been grown using artificial fertilisers ?
I was forced to take English literature (isn't that supposed to be optional?), religious studies and ICT double award...but I hose geography, French and triple science as my options...I feel your pain in being forced to take non compulsory subjects (unless you enjoyed them of course) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope English Literature is compulsory. I'm glad it was because it's one of my A-level options, I love it so much! Honestly, ICT was a pain but RE made me so open minded and open me to alternative views. Oh I was also forced to pick a language and I do German so :frown:
Reply 547
Original post by IHTWFR
Honestly, I feel the same way. I thought if I beat my brothers achievement of 6A's and 7 B 's by getting 8 A's and the rest B's I would make my mum proud. But looking at my school predictions, my predictions are becoming more achievable by being on TSR :smile:

TSR is so helpful. Most of the people here are very hard workers and will help others out too. As an example, I PMed some man asking about how his degree was because I was interested in it, and he replied in so much detail he must have spent at least 30 minutes writing it! Such a good website.
Original post by IHTWFR
That looks cool! Where is that from?

Nice use of information especially in the brackets about the gradient.

During an asthma attack, the linings of the airways become inflamed which makes the cells produce more mucus causing it to block the airways.

Why do some people think organic crops are better than crops which have been grown using artificial fertilisers ?

It's from our specification (directly from OCR). Skip to the B4/B5/B6 sections and i strongly recommend you know or have an idea in how to answer the key points by going through them (maybe tomorrow). :wink:
You can get it here:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/82189-specification-accredited.pdf

There's also one for physics and chemistry...

Organic crops are considered to be healthier and expensive fertilisers haven't been used, so it is in some respects cheaper to grow them.

What are some advantages and disadvantages of immobilising enzymes? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IHTWFR
Nope English Literature is compulsory. I'm glad it was because it's one of my A-level options, I love it so much! Honestly, ICT was a pain but RE made me so open minded and open me to alternative views. Oh I was also forced to pick a language and I do German so :frown:

I prefer science and maths to be honest, never liked English literature much but the plays and books we read for our unit 1 exam were absolutely amazing so I don't feel the need to hate English that much anymore :biggrin:

For RE, we just focused on Christianity which became tedious since I would've preferred learning about other religions as well (possibly because I'm not a Christian :colone: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
I prefer science and maths to be honest, never liked English literature much but the plays and books we read for our unit 1 exam were absolutely amazing so I don't feel the need to hate English that much anymore :biggrin:

For RE, we just focused on Christianity which became tedious since I would've preferred learning about other religions as well (possibly because I'm not a Christian :colone: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you said I go off track :naughty:
Reply 551
Everyone in this thread: tomorrow we should all have a google+ hangout (just chat, no mics or video) and it's really useful because we can revise together far quicker.
TSR is so helpful. Most of the people here are very hard workers and will help others out too. As an example, I PMed some man asking about how his degree was because I was interested in it, and he replied in so much detail he must have spent at least 30 minutes writing it! Such a good website.

I agree, TSR motivated me into revising more for English language and literature (my weakest subjects) as well as offering advice on how I could improve :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 553
Everyone in this thread: tomorrow we should all have a google+ hangout (just chat, no mics or video) and it's really useful because we can revise together far quicker.

How will that work and when? I've never used google+ before :tongue:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
And you said I go off track :naughty:

In a science thread, it may be appropriate to quote this from Einstein:
"The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. Those who walk alone are likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before."

:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In a science thread, it may be appropriate to quote this from Einstein:
"The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. Those who walk alone are likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, neither of us are smart enough to fit into the quote of Einstein :tongue:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well, neither of us are smart enough to fit into the quote of Einstein :tongue:

Haha, if you say so... :colone:

Well, actually, in the words of Einstein:

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 557
Original post by Knowing
How will that work and when? I've never used google+ before :tongue:

Do you have a gmail account? Because then you automatically get given google+. Then all you have to do is download a google hangouts thing.
It's from our specification (directly from OCR). Skip to the B4/B5/B6 sections and i strongly recommend you know or have an idea in how to answer the key points by going through them (maybe tomorrow). :wink:
You can get it here:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/82189-specification-accredited.pdf

There's also one for physics and chemistry...

Organic crops are considered to be healthier and expensive fertilisers haven't been used, so it is in some respects cheaper to grow them.

What are some advantages and disadvantages of immobilising enzymes? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! I downloaded it but it looks really confusing to me, it starts at page 68. Would I have to go through the key points of foundation and higher?

I'd have to pass on that question as I know nothing about immobilizing enzymes. The thing I hate is I need to go over a few more things in detail but I have a History Exam on Monday in the morning which is killing me inside as I'm dreading it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love Maths and Physics but I don't think I'm able enough to take it for A-levels.. And GOOD! English Literature is such an amazing subject even though it's based on bull****.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 559
GUYS JOIN THIS!!: http://tinychat.com/dcuh0

We can talk much faster. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending