The Student Room Group

GEO4B resit June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by laurablondejayne
wow! You must be a genius! Aha
i have a pdf version so i can send it to you no problem :smile:
i think it is attached to this, if not just send me your e-mail and i can send it you that way :smile:
good luck with it! And if you want to discuss any of it and throw some ideas about i'll gladly do that too :')

do you have a copy of zig zag booklet that gives you example questions for christchurch earthquake
Original post by Ryan Heir
do you have a copy of zig zag booklet that gives you example questions for christchurch earthquake

Sorry I don't have that, just been working from the AIB and hoping for the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Does anyone have the ZigZag booklet or any resources/practice questions that you've done in class?
Really stressing because all our teacher has done is told us we have to think of the whole thing like a 'story' and do a timeline of events.
Also are P1 and P2 linked in any way?
I really need an A for my offer at uni.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 43
Anyone know the year regarded as the start of reliable climate records? (question in zigzag booklet but I can't find the answer)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by rosiejohnston
the only thing I could think of was for figure P2 - rather than a table it could be presented as a histogram with dates along the x axis. Where there isnt a date, just leave a column blank :smile:

Umm what a histogram again? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by raineye95
Does anyone have the ZigZag booklet or any resources/practice questions that you've done in class?
Really stressing because all our teacher has done is told us we have to think of the whole thing like a 'story' and do a timeline of events.

I just started looking at whether p1 and p2 are linked in any way aswell and can't really see anything :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
Umm what a histogram again? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is basically a bar graph. I think the only difference is that you can leave blank spaces where there is no data :smile:
Original post by lucyv95
Anyone know the year regarded as the start of reliable climate records? (question in zigzag booklet but I can't find the answer)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Went over this with a teacher today. He said 1860.
Reply 48
Increased natural disasters could be due to climate change and the difference in temp between poles getting smaller, compare this to P2 which shows that the hottest years were mostly after 2000 then look at P1 which shows that the most natural hazards were mainly in years after 2000 also...Possible link between P1 & P2
Reply 49
On the double page spread with figure p3,p4 and p5 at the very end it says draw your own conclusion?

What have you guys said about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Hey, I don't have the ZigZag booklet so does anyone have an idea of some of the questions that might come up?
Original post by Gary
I just started looking at whether p1 and p2 are linked in any way aswell and can't really see anything :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only links I can think of to relate the two:

Scientist Frank Wentz argues that global warming can increase rainfall; a warmer atmosphere can hold more water. This explains why hydrological/storm-related events are at a high when temperature is.

A slightly and steadily increased temperature will lead to a slight increase in climatological events related to heat (i.e. forest fires) as P1 shows after 1993 somewhat (P2's temp. increases somewhat after 2002).

The secondary effects (especially disease) are exacerbated by increasing temperatures. Malaria outbreaks have increased as temperature generally does. Mosquito-borne diseases being on the rise are often accredited to climate change.

And that's all I can really think of. :/

Reply 52
Original post by raineye95

I did spearmans rank on P1 & P2, they are not linked whatsoever
Reply 53
This exam is turning me into a bit of a stalker! Thought you guys might be interested though haha. I was researching all the things mentioned and I just naturally moved on the researching 'Lisa' from Item 5. She's real! She's Dr Lisa Amin, who works at the Moorhouse Medical Centre, Christchurch. I feel super weird about knowing that...
Reply 54
Original post by wild_eyes
This exam is turning me into a bit of a stalker! Thought you guys might be interested though haha. I was researching all the things mentioned and I just naturally moved on the researching 'Lisa' from Item 5. She's real! She's Dr Lisa Amin, who works at the Moorhouse Medical Centre, Christchurch. I feel super weird about knowing that...

Stalker! lol

i Haven't really looked at item 5 yet and don't see what they can really ask you about. might help if I actually read it..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have absolutely no idea about how to start revising for this exam?? Does anyone have any useful revision tips on hwo to start and what to do / any notes??? x
Reply 56
Not too sure what to do for this when revising at home. Today I'm trying to learn the faults in NZ and what they are doing.

Underneath the North Island the Pacific Plate is sub-ducting the Australian Plate, where as, just south of the South Island this flips, and the Australian Plate is now sub-ducting the Pacific Plate.

Evidence and records have been shown that deeper focus earthquakes under the North Island have formed a well defined seismic zone running from the Malborough Fault in a north easterly direction. In this seismic zone, deeper focus earthquakes have been occurring more in the North of compared to more shallower focus earthquakes happening more to the south east of this seismic zone (in Christchurch territory)

http://www.otago.ac.nz/geology/research/structural_geology/alpinefault/

:smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Gary
Stalker! lol

i Haven't really looked at item 5 yet and don't see what they can really ask you about. might help if I actually read it..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely get the feeling Items 4 and 5 are going in the hazards/ impacts/ responses direction. Something like 'Why were the impacts such as they were?'. So, like, you'd say how the physical things (how the fault moved, the 'lensing' effect, the 12 second shaking time, the fact it happened at lunchtime etc) affected the impacts, and how the human things (lack of prediction, building design, population density, emergency response, insurance, MEDC) mitigated/ worsened the impact. There seem to be LOADDDS of things in those passages you could quote for a question on that haha. Really hoping they do ask it, since it's so revisable.
Reply 58
Original post by alicejackson95
I have absolutely no idea about how to start revising for this exam?? Does anyone have any useful revision tips on hwo to start and what to do / any notes??? x

Think about the obvious hints they're giving you that they could ask questions on, like 'some people think there may be some links between the trends shown in the two sets of data' (that question is SOOO happening), and then work out how to answer it. For that one, you might need to do some statistical tests and work out a model answer for why temp increase could cause increase in extreme weather, but also reasons why there might not be a link (ie P1 is by an insurance company, so they DEFINITELY have a vested interest in extreme weather 'increasing' - they can raise people's premiums, and they could be including teeny tiny floods because they don't specify what a natural disaster is).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending