The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does no one here read the Fairy Tail manga?
Reply 4681
I'd be willing to meet if it was within the midlands, getting to london is pretyy expensive for me. I'd suggest we meet at con that we'll be going to.

I'll be going to jcon in derby and possibly alcon in Leicester. Possibly a mcm too but depends on money really.

I read the fairy tail manga :smile:
Reply 4682
Can someone recommend me an anime that does NOT revolve around high school or high school kids? It feels like the last stream of shows I have seen is of this nature which I'm getting sick of. Preferably dubbed though I don't mind subbed. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by Naami
Can someone recommend me an anime that does NOT revolve around high school or high school kids? It feels like the last stream of shows I have seen is of this nature which I'm getting sick of. Preferably dubbed though I don't mind subbed. Thanks in advance! :smile:

gungrave and simoun are totally worth watching
cant think of anything else atm!
Pleasantly surprised to see so much interest in an Anime Soc meetup, I didn't think there was enough active chat going on for people to want to meet each other! I'd be interested, though like ianh16, the midlands would be easier for me. Or North Wales, but I doubt that's easy for anyone else. :p: I only really go to the Telford MCM expo though, and that's already been this year. :frown:

Original post by Naami

There's a load out there. :yes: Baccano!, Claymore, Haibane Renmei, Outlaw Star and Spice & Wolf are just a few good series that I know are dubbed. :smile:
Reply 4685
What sort of genre are you looking for?
Reply 4686
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Pleasantly surprised to see so much interest in an Anime Soc meetup, I didn't think there was enough active chat going on for people to want to meet each other! I'd be interested, though like ianh16, the midlands would be easier for me. Or North Wales, but I doubt that's easy for anyone else.

Not making any promises, but I might be able to make some kind of offline meeting. The midlands or London are about equally doable from where I am (I have relatives near Birmingham who'd probably let me stay overnight, if necessary).
Still burning through my manga backlog... tonight I finished Pluto, a fantastic series THAT ACTUALLY ENDED WELL! I thought the final volume wrapped everything up very nicely. :biggrin: Deserves its Top 50 ranking on A-P.

Original post by QHF
Not making any promises, but I might be able to make some kind of offline meeting. The midlands or London are about equally doable from where I am (I have relatives near Birmingham who'd probably let me stay overnight, if necessary).

Birmingham was were we had the last one, although we had vin around to act as a tour guide that time. I'd be happy going anywhere, as long as somebody in the group knows the good places to meet/eat/buy manga. :yes:
Been doing a movie marathon- watched about ten films so far :tongue: think I can get one or two more in (maybe some Ghibli rewatch).
Had so much fun doing it as well :biggrin:

Midlands sounds decent as London would be harder travel/money wise being in the north and all.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Meh, not sure I'd be up for a general TSR meet, hardly know anybody who posts outside these threads. Still have fond memories of the Anime Soc meetup several years back, though... even if the rain did ruin all the manga I bought that day. :frown:

Almost half way through Drakuun now; I had planned to read one issue a day to make it last, but ~20 pages isn't enough to satisfy me, so it's become more like five or six a day. :p: So far, not as strong as Manabe's other work Outlanders plot-wise, or Caravan Kidd comedy/character-wise, but it's amusing enough. Stellar art and character designs, as always.

One thing I didn't know until now (despite doing some pretty thourough research, or so I thought :facepalm:) is that there's actually a 5th arc/volume which hasn't been published or even scanlated in English. Not a problem right now - in a way it's probably for the best that I didn't find out until after buying it, otherwise it would have ended up in the pile of good series I'll never read. No doubt I'll be raging once I get to the 24th issue and am unable to continue, though. :bawling:

Can't we arrange an anime soc meet up then!? That'd be so awsume! Ill have to travel a lot though :frown: (don't live in the uk) but if I get to meet fellow anime/manga fans, it'll be worth it!! :excited:
Original post by QHF

You willing to arrange something?!!!! Yayyy!
Reply 4691
Original post by lilmissshady
You willing to arrange something?!!!! Yayyy!

Ah, no, I was using 'make' in the sense of 'make it to' or 'get to' something, rather than 'create' something. Sorry!

Where I'm living at the moment isn't bad for eating & drinking but there's nowhere to buy anime/manga, and the transport links aren't as good as, for example, Birmingham or London.
Original post by QHF
Ah, no, I was using 'make' in the sense of 'make it to' or 'get to' something, rather than 'create' something. Sorry!

Where I'm living at the moment isn't bad for eating & drinking but there's nowhere to buy anime/manga, and the transport links aren't as good as, for example, Birmingham or London.

Aww :frown:
well nevermind...
Buy anime/manga? But I watch/read it all online :colondollar:
anyhooo let's all meet up once I'm in the uk!! Which could be very soon actually!!!!! :excited:
Kyousuke coming up on that bike in Oreimo oh my days :rofl2: was a nice ep especially that part near the end :h:

Original post by nixonsjellybeans
MAL's anime list system drives me crazy :angry: its so useless compared to A-P but I use both still :tongue:

yeah its a pain in the arse so will only be updating finished series on there, mainly joining there for the clubs and discussions :yes:

also up for the meet, would prefer London but midlands is fine :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by eugenius 8

yeah its a pain in the arse so will only be updating finished series on there, mainly joining there for the clubs and discussions :yes:

also up for the meet, would prefer London but midlands is fine :smile:

There is a lot more activity and discussion on MAL. I just use AP really as my anime 'wiki' :tongue:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
There is a lot more activity and discussion on MAL. I just use AP really as my anime 'wiki' :tongue:

yup, well i dont do anything on A-P apart from updating my list. i even use MAL for wiki :p:
I'll usually search for an anime or manga series on A-P first, just because it's the site I use to update my list, so it's convenient. Also, I prefer the layout to MAL. If the synopsis hasn't been filled in, I'll usually turn to MAL, ANN or AniDB for anime, or Manga Updates for manga. About the only site I won't use as a 'wiki' is Wikipedia itself, still scarred by all the spoilers I came across there in my early days. :p:
oh god those spoilers on wiki :afraid: also youtube ones :pinch:

Hentai Ouji creeped the hell out of me last night :afraid:
I've fallen behind, but now that my exams are over there is nothing to stop me :evil:
Reply 4699
How many of you have a region 1 DVD player and imports US DVDs/BDs? I'm tempted to just go down that route since there's a lack of UK releases (Me want Princess Tutu, Gankutsuou and Revolutionary Girl Utena!)

Latest