The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2920
Original post by jackf1337
Can't wait for the grass tournaments to kick on, it'll be very interesting to see:
How Federer plays, and if his game picks up.
If Nadal can continue this amazing form.
If Djokovic can pose a major threat
If Murray can defend Wimbledon.

I'm kind of a newbie to following the ATP world tour. Why are their no ATP1000 events on grass? (or even 500). The grass season just seems to be a couple of 250 events then Wimbledon, whereas both clay and hard have a few 1000 events each.

Defend Wimbledon or defend his Runner up points?
Original post by Roger1
Yes, Murray has improved on grass but whether or not he has improved more than Rafa is still unknown, as they haven't played there since 2011, so people making blind assumptions should hold on their horses and wait before they actually play and only then should come to a conclusion on who is better on grass.

Also, let me state some factual evidence on why Murray might not still be on Nadal's level on grass. Nadal has won Wimbledon twice and have beaten Murray there 3 times. Plus, we can't gauge much from Nadal's last year's performance at Wimbledon, as he was upset in the 2nd round, and yes it was only an UPSET. It doesn't necessarily mean Nadal has declined drastically below to the level of Murray on grass. If Murray and Nadal are to meet on grass this year, I would still label Nadal as the favourite.

I was about to say something along these lines - there's a lot of blind anti-facts and speculation going on around here regards Murray and Rafa on this surface.

As you've already stated, the facts:

Rafa: 5 Wimbledon finals and 2 titles in the last 7 years. Federer's supremacy at SW19 aside, that's actually incredible consistency.

Murray: QF, 3 straight SFs and a final.

I don't understand, based on this history, how people can say Murray is better on grass. He also has a 0-3 record at Wimbledon against Rafa, winning only one set, in 2011. You can try and judge based on Murray's strong progression as a player last year with his first Grand Slam, the Olympics and first Wimbledon final, but that doesn't say anything relative to how he matches up against Rafa. If anything, Rafa has been a terrible match up for Murray and I would feel most Murray fans would rather he avoid Rafa before the final if they met. Last year since Rafa barely played on the grass there was too little to observe to see if he had actually declined on the surface - he bombed out of his pre-Wimbledon warmup like he usually does (probably the tournament he puts the least effort into all year) and lost to Rosol in a freak match. In terms of current form there's no way you would favour Murray, especially if Rafa wins today - Roland Garros usually sparks off a rampage from Rafa where he enters Wimbledon as one of the top two favourites.

Who has the better grass court game is another matter and shouldn't be confused with who is the better grass court player. Murray might have a better natural grass court game, but Rafa is a fantastic grass courter and the surface seems to complement his game strongly, with his heavy spin being very effective on the surface.
Murrray lost to Federer in Wimbledon last year but beat him in the Olympics IIRC.
Reply 2923
Original post by Sirocco11
I was about to say something along these lines - there's a lot of blind anti-facts and speculation going on around here regards Murray and Rafa on this surface.

As you've already stated, the facts:

Rafa: 5 Wimbledon finals and 2 titles in the last 7 years. Federer's supremacy at SW19 aside, that's actually incredible consistency.

Murray: QF, 3 straight SFs and a final.

I don't understand, based on this history, how people can say Murray is better on grass. He also has a 0-3 record at Wimbledon against Rafa, winning only one set, in 2011. You can try and judge based on Murray's strong progression as a player last year with his first Grand Slam, the Olympics and first Wimbledon final, but that doesn't say anything relative to how he matches up against Rafa. If anything, Rafa has been a terrible match up for Murray and I would feel most Murray fans would rather he avoid Rafa before the final if they met. Last year since Rafa barely played on the grass there was too little to observe to see if he had actually declined on the surface - he bombed out of his pre-Wimbledon warmup like he usually does (probably the tournament he puts the least effort into all year) and lost to Rosol in a freak match. In terms of current form there's no way you would favour Murray, especially if Rafa wins today - Roland Garros usually sparks off a rampage from Rafa where he enters Wimbledon as one of the top two favourites.

Who has the better grass court game is another matter and shouldn't be confused with who is the better grass court player. Murray might have a better natural grass court game, but Rafa is a fantastic grass courter and the surface seems to complement his game strongly, with his heavy spin being very effective on the surface.

PRSOM:smile:
Original post by ubi1
Defend Wimbledon or defend his Runner up points?

Sorry I got the Olympics and Wimbledon confused for a second there. He must still defend his runner up points, though.
Reply 2925
Sorry I got the Olympics and Wimbledon confused for a second there. He must still defend his runner up points, though.

Aye, who do you think will get to the final?
Original post by ubi1
Aye, who do you think will get to the final?

Really difficult to say. At present, Federer has done nothing to convince me he'll get to the final, but we'll see what happens at Halle and then perhaps make a more informed judgement.
Murray's chances are perhaps down to his fitness. I don't know the ins and outs of the situation. If he looks well rested and fresh at Queens, then I reckon he can make it.
As we all know, Nadal is on fire and I fully expect his form to carry on into Wimbledon. He's taking a break this week and I think that'll improve his chances. Although will that mean he'll lack match practice on grass? Who knows.
I'm not so sure of what Djokovic is capable of on grass. I know he's won Wimbledon before and he's played some great tennis on the clay. I don't really consider him a favourite but he should get to the quarters at least, most probably the semis.

At this moment in time I'm going to plump for a Nadal/Murray final.

Any idea as to why the grass season is so short? A few 250 events + a slam. Not even a 500 event, talk about a 1000....
Reply 2927
Really difficult to say. At present, Federer has done nothing to convince me he'll get to the final, but we'll see what happens at Halle and then perhaps make a more informed judgement.
Murray's chances are perhaps down to his fitness. I don't know the ins and outs of the situation. If he looks well rested and fresh at Queens, then I reckon he can make it.
As we all know, Nadal is on fire and I fully expect his form to carry on into Wimbledon. He's taking a break this week and I think that'll improve his chances. Although will that mean he'll lack match practice on grass? Who knows.
I'm not so sure of what Djokovic is capable of on grass. I know he's won Wimbledon before and he's played some great tennis on the clay. I don't really consider him a favourite but he should get to the quarters at least, most probably the semis.

Any idea as to why the grass season is so short? A few 250 events + a slam. Not even a 500 event, talk about a 1000....

Aye, There's 6 masters 1000 on hard court and 3 on clay they should get rid of 2 of the ones that are on hard courts and get at least 2 grass masters.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ubi1
Aye, There's 6 masters 1000 on hard court and 3 on clay they should get rid of 2 of the ones that are on hard courts and get at least 2 grass masters.

I guess it's down to the time of year at which Roland Garros and Wimbledon can be played. Unless you do the ATP1000 grass events after Wimbledon, as opposed to before, like what generally happens at other slams.

Who're you thinking will make the Wimbledon final?
Reply 2929
I guess it's down to the time of year at which Roland Garros and Wimbledon can be played. Unless you do the ATP1000 grass events after Wimbledon, as opposed to before, like what generally happens at other slams.

Who're you thinking will make the Wimbledon final?

Nadal/Murray in the Final, I think Nadal will beat Ferrer, and Federer to get to the final and i think Murray will go on to beat Delpo and Djokovic to face Nadal in the final. That's my Prediction.

A Murray-Nadal final would be awesome.

As to why the grass court season is short, I have never known why. On the one hand it makes Wimbledon even more exclusive as a tournament, but with Masters on the other surfaces there's no reason why there shouldn't be one on grass.
Surely one of the reasons the grass court season is so short is the location of grass courts and the seasons. The court seasons tend to culminate in the Slams, you couldn't reasonably force Wimbledon further back with the British weather not to mention the controversy. Before the roof and even still there have been doubts over the ability to fit the championships in the allocated time. To put in simply you run out of British summer which is a massive problem on grass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The could easily have grass court tournaments in other parts of the world at different times of the year. The Australian Open and US Open used to be grass court tournaments. The calendar has been in dire need of change for ages now but I don't expect any significant changes any time soon. Wimbledon will be a week later from 2015 which is a step in the right direction. A small step, but a step nonetheless.

The cost of running and maintaining grass courts is the big problem but there must be loads of venues already in place that are available and hats off to Stuttgart for being willing to switch to grass in 2015.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah, i really don't like the calendar.

To start off with i don't like the Latin American clay swing having a month long gap before the rest of the clay swing. I'd rather they were pushed into the end of March and the March Masters moved back a week or two. Wimbledon i'd push back a month if i had my way (statistically our summer peak is actually late July/early August) and so you'd have the random tournament afterwards moved before Wimbledon in addition to Queens and Stuttgart. We could definitely do with a grass Master though (Scottish Open? Scandinavia perhaps?). The hard season i have niggles with but that doesn't bother me too much.
So, today's the day. In a matter of hours, Nadal and Ferrer will emerge on court PC. What is everyone's final predictions: will we see a RG 2008 repeat scoreline, or something resembling RG 2011, or will we see an upset?
Original post by Krish4791
So, today's the day. In a matter of hours, Nadal and Ferrer will emerge on court PC. What is everyone's final predictions: will we see a RG 2008 repeat scoreline, or something resembling RG 2011, or will we see an upset?

The return of the king: 6-2 6-4 6-4
Reply 2936

Can't see anything other than a Rafa win to be honest. It reminds me when fabrice santoro was talking about the williams errani game when he said errani has no weapons to hurt her with. I thinks it's the same in this one and Rafa will have too much power for Ferrer- relatively straight forward 3 set victory
Reply 2937

Sticking with everyone else here. Don't think I can see Ferrer taking a set. Would love to be proved wrong though.
Ferrer could pull something special... I dunno why I have this feeling. But he could.

4 sets.
Reply 2939
Original post by Mastermind2
The return of the king: 6-2 6-4 6-4

Indeed, ferrer in 3 sets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest