Original post by thatitootoo
Her name might be "LadyJoka" but I think the post is genuine! :lol:
2/3 threads down in your kingdom...xD

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2370205

Might ask for resources... :mmm:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Might ask for resources... :mmm:

Well she did say "It's not too bad" :O

I shall not be held responsible if you decide to conquer the oriental language groups next...:wink:
Original post by Vionar
Oh yeah, that's a bit odd. But you still have the likes of Manchester, Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham, I believe you can study Chinese somehow at Birmingham and I think that Chinese is offered as a minor language in UCL's Language and Culture program. If you want a more specialized course, such as this one, you'll probably have to travel for it, unfortunately.
I've seen discussions on here about how a combined Chinese+something+something degree would spread one's time too thin before, and that's why universities don't offer it.
Original post by thatitootoo
Well she did say "It's not too bad" :O

I shall not be held responsible if you decide to conquer the oriental language groups next...:wink:

I haven't conquered European yet :rofl:

I do want to learn though, not now obviously :wink:
Original post by BuddingAchiever
Can someone help me here ? I live in Hertfordshire, England and I'm struggling to find a uni that is fairly near that offers french and chinese or spanish and chinese. I'm passionate about these languages despite having not learnt mandarin however I'm currently facing a dilemma as not many universities are that flexible with their courses particularly Oxbridge ones !! Can someone recommend any decent unis? I've had a look around Edinburgh and Manchester despite being far away from home however that is pretty much it!!

Hi :smile: I applied for East Asian languages (Chinese/Japanese) with IR/Business and Management - a really pleasant PS to write, as you can imagine !
I'm currently in China for my gap year, taking HSK 5 soon, and in September I'll start studying Business & Management and Japanese in Manchester (with Chinese as extra credits).
As other people said you could definitely do these particular combinations at Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh .. Durham and Exeter also have combined honours programs, although the one at Exeter only has a minor in Chinese, and SOAS would allow you to do French and Chinese.

I got into Manchester, Leeds, SOAS and I had interviews at Oxford so feel free to ask me any question, and about mandarin as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2106
Original post by constantmeowage
I can tell you know 3 months is nothing for language learning - sure the basics in three months...but the basics aren't what you mean and want. Patience is so much better as a strategy, believe me. The yield, I think, is much more thorough.
Unfortunately there are sites with claims like "fluent in 3 months" which create unrealistic expectations about progress. But when I think of people whose language ability I admire, I realize they all have one thing in common: they worked bloody hard for a bloody long time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2107
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I've seen discussions on here about how a combined Chinese+something+something degree would spread one's time too thin before, and that's why universities don't offer it.

Yeah, I guess so, but it would be nice to combine Chinese with lots of subjects! :ahee:
Original post by Bambirina
Hi :smile: I applied for East Asian languages (Chinese/Japanese) with IR/Business and Management - a really pleasant PS to write, as you can imagine !
I'm currently in China for my gap year, taking HSK 5 soon, and in September I'll start studying Business & Management and Japanese in Manchester (with Chinese as extra credits).
As other people said you could definitely do these particular combinations at Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh .. Durham and Exeter also have combined honours programs, although the one at Exeter only has a minor in Chinese, and SOAS would allow you to do French and Chinese.

I got into Manchester, Leeds, SOAS and I had interviews at Oxford so feel free to ask me any question, and about mandarin as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much ! I may inbox you at some time as I really should sort out my priorities first of all !! haha I still have a whole year to think about degrees so I guess I'm just ahead of myself right now !
Nonchalant bump! :smile: It's been quite bei uns recently :frown:
Je suis très fatiguée, mais j'ai faim. Je prepare l'emballage pour des cadeaux.
Currently doing Latin & Spanish GCSE, expected A* in both, carrying both on into Sixth Form.

I've no idea what I want to do at uni, even less what I want to do when I 'grow up'. I think there's a fair chance I may apply for Classics and/or Spanish. Or, Spanish and/or another language such as Arabic at university -> though I'm not sure if this might be realistic? I've no experience in Arabic-related languages, so not sure if that might be a good idea.

Learning languages is fun. I enjoyed learning German lower down school but the teaching for it was a bit too poor for me to stay good enough at it to carry onto GCSE. French was a complete nightmare by contrast. Why have a language with more silent letters than enunciated letters? xD
Original post by NikolaT
Currently doing Latin & Spanish GCSE, expected A* in both, carrying both on into Sixth Form.

I've no idea what I want to do at uni, even less what I want to do when I 'grow up'. I think there's a fair chance I may apply for Classics and/or Spanish. Or, Spanish and/or another language such as Arabic at university -> though I'm not sure if this might be realistic? I've no experience in Arabic-related languages, so not sure if that might be a good idea.

Learning languages is fun. I enjoyed learning German lower down school but the teaching for it was a bit too poor for me to stay good enough at it to carry onto GCSE. French was a complete nightmare by contrast. Why have a language with more silent letters than enunciated letters? xD

:five: Same here with Spanish and Latin (although I despise Spanish :mmm: was not my choice to take part in it, might get an A, might not). Will hopefully do Latin AS, but it might not run as it's extracurricular and was not advertised particularly well I feel.

German's the tits though :tongue:

Reading a language at university sounds like a really fun thing to do, I hope you end up doing it :biggrin:
NikolaT
Why have a language with more silent letters than enunciated letters? xD
French exists in order to demonstrate to other nations what happens within a millennium if you don't pay pedants enough respect. It is said that those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it; thus it behoves us, whether we are using txt-spk or committing crimes against grammar, to remember how Latin became French. Pedantry matters!

Mind you, this attitude to French may hold me back in life, considering I've just started AS French!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NikolaT

About the Arabic thing: if you're interested in it, go for it. I almost guarantee you that the vast majority of those taking it up at uni never did an A Level in it or even a GCSE. For more eclectic languages such as Arabic, Russian, Portuguese etc, they often don't assume that you've done it to A Level, and instead require you to just have a language A Level. And then of course, if it transpires that Arabic's not for you, you can always switch; I gather most universities are pretty flexible regarding language course changes. :smile:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
French exists in order to demonstrate to other nations what happens within a millennium if you don't pay pedants enough. It is said that those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it; thus it behoves us, whether we are using txt-spk or committing crimes against grammar, to remember how Latin became French. Pedantry matters!

Mind you, this attitude to French may hold me back in life, considering I've just started AS French!

Ne perds pas ta confiance ! Le français gagnera ton cœur :wink:
Long time no speak :cool:

Demain, j'ai deux examens :frown: alors, je devrais réviser :lol: je déteste la biologie :emo:
Reply 2117
Long time no speak :cool:

Demain, j'ai deux examens :frown: alors, je devrais réviser :lol: je déteste la biologie :emo:

Bonne chance! J'espère que tu réussiras tes examens! (Google Translate + Google search - how did I do this time?) :P
Original post by AquisM
Bonne chance! J'espère que tu réussiras tes examens! (Google Translate + Google search - how did I do this time?) :P

This is what it says:
Good luck! I hope you will succeed (technically wrong, as "hope" triggers the subjunctive") your exams.

So :biggrin:

Puedes utilizar el español! (non soy muy bien pero * I need the practise)
This is what it says:
Good luck! I hope you will succeed (technically wrong, as "hope" triggers the subjunctive") your exams.

So :biggrin:

Puedes utilizar el español! (non soy muy bien pero * I need the practise)

ugh why the **** would you want to learn Spanish you disgust me :emo:

Latest

Trending

Trending