The Student Room Group

Edexcel: 11th and 14th June 2013 (Linear) 1MA0/1H + 2H (Official Thread)

Scroll to see replies

do you guys think the exam is going to be the same difficulty as feb/march paper?
Reply 201
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Done

Hate to be a pain but could I also please have them? I would deeply appreciate it.
Reply 202
Okay guys we are literally just days away from the exam and unlike you, I have hardly done much revision! I want an A/A* so from now till the first exam (around 2/3 days) what do you suggest I do to revise and how much? Should I do an all nighter or what?
Reply 203
Original post by w0tSuhail
Okay guys we are literally just days away from the exam and unlike you, I have hardly done much revision! I want an A/A* so from now till the first exam (around 2/3 days) what do you suggest I do to revise and how much? Should I do an all nighter or what?

Urmm, I would suggest getting the method and techniques down first before moving on. Then look at past papers, MANY MANY past papers. Seeing as you don't really have the time, just look at the type and style of the question before consulting the mark scheme.

I also firmly believe against all nighters, they'll just decrease your performance on the day. I learned in psychology that if you don't sleep a certain number of hours after a lot of revision then your brain won't have any time to process the information - so nothing will go in. Basically, you've just done a ton of work for nothing. That's just my opinion though.

Maths is all about practise, so I don't know how much help this would be. If you don't do well, learn for next time. Good luck! I'm taking the maths too but a year early so... nervous :s-smilie:
Reply 204
Hi guys does anyone know which topics are more likely to come on the non calculator higher paper?
everything you don't need a calculator for? :tongue:
Reply 206
Original post by Captain Anonymous
everything you don't need a calculator for? :tongue:

Be more specific :P
Reply 207
Can someone dm me the a-a8 questions and zizag paper please. It would be much appreicated
Reply 208
Hey just wondering, what does the Inter-Quartile range and upper and lower quartile tell you about a set of data?
Reply 209
Do we need to learn all of the circle theorems? and if so what is the best way to do that?
Original post by cmorga1
Do we need to learn all of the circle theorems? and if so what is the best way to do that?

I'd say it would be wise too.

Videos, well for me anyway. I find I learn more when I watch.
Reply 211
maths247, will you be releasing a prediction on the calculator paper? Thank you so much for your YouTube Channel it has helped me so much over the previous 4 months :smile:.
Reply 212
Original post by Esteta
maths247, will you be releasing a prediction on the calculator paper? Thank you so much for your YouTube Channel it has helped me so much over the previous 4 months :smile:.

4 months!!! 4 :O
Reply 213
Original post by ajiri
Can someone dm me the a-a8 questions and zizag paper please. It would be much appreicated

I would appreciate these papers too if you manage to get a copy :smile:. Thank you
Reply 214
So the topics that might come on non calculator paper varies?
Reply 215
Original post by cmorga1
4 months!!! 4 :O

Hello mate, yeah I started my revision really early. How is your revision going? All good I hope.
Original post by rsb93
So the topics that might come on non calculator paper varies?

Almost all topics can be tested on either paper because they don't need a calculator or because the numbers they choose are so easy that it is reasonable to expect you to work them out without one.

A few topics require a calculator

Trigonometry - SOHCAHTOA, Sine rule, Cosine rule, Area=0.5abSinC
Quadratic formula
Trial and Improvement

A few topics are usually calculator

Compound interest
Calculating an estimate for the mean of grouped data
Area and volume involving pi (circles, segments, cylinders, hemispheres etc) but can be on non-calc if answers are to be left in terms of pi or if it's an A/A* question that would mostly be solved algebraically
Pythagoras (though could be non-calc if numbers are easy)
Direct and Inverse proportion (if tested) though could be non-calc if numbers are easy
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 217
Original post by gdunne42
Almost all topics can be tested on either paper because they don't need a calculator or because the numbers they choose are so easy that it is reasonable to expect you to work them out without one.

A few topics require a calculator

Trigonometry - SOHCAHTOA, Sine rule, Cosine rule, Area=0.5abSinC
Quadratic formula
Trial and Improvement
Compound interest

A few topics are usually calculator

Calculating an estimate for the mean of grouped data
Area and volume involving pi (circles, segments, cylinders, hemispheres etc) but can be on non-calc if answers are to be left in terms of pi or if it's an A/A* question that would mostly be solved algebraically
Pythagoras (though could be non-calc if numbers are easy)
Direct and Inverse proportion (if tested) though could be non-calc if numbers are easy

What about the non-calculator exam?
Original post by w0tSuhail
What about the non-calculator exam?

Not sure I understand, almost any maths you have learned while at secondary school could be on the Either the non calculator exam or the calculator exam. A few topics listed above are generally calculator but that's not an exhaustive list of what will be on the calculator paper that will also inlcude lots of things that don't require a calculator but were not tested in the tuesday paper and lots topics that require a calculator becuase of the difficulty of the numbers chosen (e.g. working out volumes with decimal dimensions rather than simple integers)

The only topics I can think of that are only on non calculator are
Surds
Indices
Usually Standard form (though sometimes it's been tested on calc - not sure I understand why except to assess if you can understand standard from and entering / reading it from your calculator)
Estimate a calculation (rounding the numbers to one significant figure)
Substitution of values into a formula (usually non-calc)
Calculating % by first finding 10% and then using that to find other simple %
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 219
So is compound interest an exclusively calculator topic?

And what about proof?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending