The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton Freshers 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LauraEast23
I've just firmed for MORSE! Really not sure what accomodation to go for though..

SAME! I'm really stuck for accommodation! :confused:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Imog
Hi, I firmed for BA Archaeology and applied for Glen Eyre :smile: I can't wait to start the course, providing the rest of my exams go well!

hello! I'm so excited to start the course also, and for uni in general :biggrin:
Have you looked through any of the possible units? They look really good!
Reply 242
Original post by Lilempress
hello! I'm so excited to start the course also, and for uni in general :biggrin:
Have you looked through any of the possible units? They look really good!

They all look really interesting, especially osteology in year 2. Landscapes and seascapes in year 1 looks really good too. I'll probably have a lot of trouble narrowing down my optional units :colondollar:
Reply 243
Original post by walsh12
Does anyone know if southampton tend to be lenient or not on letting people in if you miss your grades?

In my experience, I applied to Southampton on a whim, the course interested me, and I had a spare choice, so I thought "why the heck not" My predictions were BBD (omfg seriously too low) and despite the entry being ABB they still accepted.

I was completely shocked and then took the stupid decision of accepting it as my firm. According to my UCAS correspondent at school, Southampton are not particularly lenient, and they expect you to get the grades, otherwise tough luck.

But, considering my personal story, I'm now not particularly sure. I mean, seriously, what it the point of accepting me when I've been predicted a D grade?

Does anyone else have any ideas?
Hey freshers, do u know when should international students pay the tuitiion fees? Im a bit confused with all these stuffs.
I have already organised the money required for the visa application but i was told that tuition fees shuld be paid before leaving home... Please help...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imog
They all look really interesting, especially osteology in year 2. Landscapes and seascapes in year 1 looks really good too. I'll probably have a lot of trouble narrowing down my optional units :colondollar:

Yeah, I think I'll have that problem too! Are you thinking of taking any units from other subjects? :smile: I might try and take a few biology modules!
Reply 246
Original post by walsh12
Does anyone know if southampton tend to be lenient or not on letting people in if you miss your grades?

I really hope they are at least slightly lenient! My offer is A*AA which is a really long shot and seems a little unfair, 4 more exams to go until I can start counting down til results day. I'm not scared at all! :s-smilie:
Original post by aidbro
I really hope they are at least slightly lenient! My offer is A*AA which is a really long shot and seems a little unfair, 4 more exams to go until I can start counting down til results day. I'm not scared at all! :s-smilie:

I heard it's very much going to be a 'bums on seats' policy for most universities this year, despite whether grades are met or not - since uptake for both national and international students has been considerably lower than usual. Let's hope so anyway!
Reply 248
Yeah, I think I'll have that problem too! Are you thinking of taking any units from other subjects? :smile: I might try and take a few biology modules!

I was thinking of doing some criminology modules, but I haven't decided yet.
Hi guys, is anybody going to either of the Open Days on 5 or 6 July?

I've been a student here at Southampton for around 8 years now(!) and I was thinking about offering city tours in conjunction with Open Days, but only if there's interest!

Any potential takers?

Cheers,
Dayah
Reply 250
Original post by TristanHedges
Anybody else hoping to study philosophy? Or applied for a standard room at Wessex Lane?

I'll be studying Philosophy! After an ensuite at glen or monte though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone, I'm new here so feel free to mock me for looking totally out of place :tongue: I plan on accepting my offer to Southampton for LLB as soon as I am able to (apparently I have to wait to here back from all schools first ?)

I'm an international student, specifically from Canada. Yes I do say eh a lot, yes I love maple syrup and yes I am really good/really love hockey :biggrin:

I just had a few questions (miscellaneous mostly) about the school and about the students here:

-Anyone else taking LLB?

-Any other Canucks here?

-I think I got the idea on differences between the res'(halls) at southampton but I don't know that much. Are there any halls with single rooms or do they all have rooms where I'd have a roommate? Also how many people usually to a room?

-I've never been to the UK, what should I expect?

Any reply would be great, Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Imkindofabigdeal
Hey everyone, I'm new here so feel free to mock me for looking totally out of place :tongue: I plan on accepting my offer to Southampton for LLB as soon as I am able to (apparently I have to wait to here back from all schools first ?)

I'm an international student, specifically from Canada. Yes I do say eh a lot, yes I love maple syrup and yes I am really good/really love hockey :biggrin:

I just had a few questions (miscellaneous mostly) about the school and about the students here:

-Anyone else taking LLB?

-Any other Canucks here?

-I think I got the idea on differences between the res'(halls) at southampton but I don't know that much. Are there any halls with single rooms or do they all have rooms where I'd have a roommate? Also how many people usually to a room?

I'm pretty sure none of the rooms are shared haha, everyone has their own room then you share the kitchen and in standard accommodation you share the toilets and showers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TristanHedges
I'm pretty sure none of the rooms are shared haha, everyone has their own room then you share the kitchen and in standard accommodation you share the toilets and showers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I was reading in the accommodation forum about when you find out who your roommate is so I was just wondering which one of the halls are like that.
I heard it's very much going to be a 'bums on seats' policy for most universities this year, despite whether grades are met or not - since uptake for both national and international students has been considerably lower than usual. Let's hope so anyway!

im praying to God it's going to be like a 'bums on seats' policy, i really dont think ive got the grades :frown:
Reply 255
Hey everyone, I'm new here so feel free too mock me for looking totally out of place :tongue: I plan on accepting my offer to Southampton for LLB as soon as I am able to (apparently I have to wait to here back from all schools first ?)

-Anyone else taking LLB?

-Any other Canucks here?

Hello,

I am also a fellow Canuck. I also love maple syrup and I say eh far too much. I am taking the accelerated law program at Southampton. I love to watch hockey but I am not very good at playing it. With sports in general I prefer play/attempt to play them or watch them. I am not into player stats and stuff like that. I am good at snowboarding if that redeems my Canadian status.

All my schools replied in late April so it was then that I could select my firm option.

I believe the rooms are single but depending on the type of room you choose there will be some common elements (such as kitchens, possibly bathrooms, common areas, etc)

I have been to the UK before and it is hard to sum up what to expect in one sentence. Expect to gain weight, the food is more heavy than in Canada. Expect people to come across as rude and cold. Maybe not at uni but def out in public. People aren't as friendly as Canadians. But maybe that is our fault because as Canadians we generally always have a dorky smile on our faces. Expect to be constantly drinking. Expect to learn new slang that will make you pee your pants laughing (a lot of British slang is quite offensive and hilarious).

I am not sure where in Canada you are from but where I am people don't really line up in a perfect line for things (bus, taxi's, etc) It just kinda works on an honour system in Canada. People just sorta let the least able on then after that it doesn't really matter. In Britain they are enormously anal about the queue! The British also follow rules quite a bit. They can rarely be bent unless its in the favour of the person who made them.

The things I am excited about are the wicked sense of humour that Brits have. The British seem like super strong people and you can't hurt peoples feelings as easily. Sarcastic and dry humour wins in that land. Not so much in Canada. They enjoy "taking the piss out of one another" which essentially means to tease each other quite a bit. Join the fun!

Private message me if you want to chat about more stuff. You know, private Canadian stuff :biggrin:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi! I've firmed for MSci Geology, and I was wondering, do earth science students miss out on part of freshers? Because I know we go away on a field trip before our course begins but I'm not sure if its during freshers..
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AOK :)
Hey im Aisling and ive firmed for geophysics :smile: Dw your not on your own im the only Irish girl ive heard as of yet going. Its nice to meet you.

Yay another Aisling doing earth science :biggrin: I'm doing geology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? I was reading in the accommodation forum about when you find out who your roommate is so I was just wondering which one of the halls are like that.

Sometimes at the beginning of the year the odd person will have to share with someone else for a couple of weeks until someone else drops out and they can get you a single room. Quite rare though, never met anyone who has had to share a room at Southampton :smile:
Reply 259
Original post by v0lcanicash
Yay another Aisling doing earth science :biggrin: I'm doing geology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

I'm Nicola, and also doing Geology, so nice to see a couple of girls will be doing Geology/Geophys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending