The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 4 6BI04 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
hey do we have to know about gram staining?
unit 4 biology january 2013
the one that happened a few months ago
Reply 142
how to calculate the efficiency of energy transfer between trophic levels?
Reply 143
Original post by mycollege
how to calculate the efficiency of energy transfer between trophic levels?

Energy used to make biomass / Total energy taken in (from previous trophic level)
Reply 144
Original post by LABONNO
Anyone have the topic test answers of Hodder Edexcel A Level BIOLOGY for A2?
Where can I get them?

Go here: http://www.dynamic-learning-student.co.uk/
Register, Log in, then select your book (Bio for A2)
I think there are links for the answers; not sure though :redface:
Reply 145
Original post by raves
hey do we have to know about gram staining?

Know that gram staining can be used to differentiate between gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
Result with gram-positive: Positive, bacteria appear purple in colour
Result with gram-negative: Negative, bacteria appear red in colour

I'm not sure whether we have to know the structural differences between gram-positive and gram-negative though :s-smilie:
Reply 146
Alright! thank youu
Original post by SKK94
Know that gram staining can be used to differentiate between gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
Result with gram-positive: Positive, bacteria appear purple in colour
Result with gram-negative: Negative, bacteria appear red in colour

I'm not sure whether we have to know the structural differences between gram-positive and gram-negative though :s-smilie:
Original post by iwantopas19
accuracy depends on the appratus u use.
Reliability depends on how many times u've repeated the experiment and got the same average mean value

Validity = accuracy plus reliabitily

for example, u might be given a data or a graph and asked to suggest if the data is valid or not. in that case, u check the variation between the mean values, or the error bars. the more difference is there there less valid it is

hmm seems clearer than before, thanks!
would someone please explain what is genetic drift and founder effect? when do we use them?
Reply 149
Original post by bubblegummer
would someone please explain what is genetic drift and founder effect? when do we use them?

Genetic drift is when the allele frequency of a particular allele increases or decreases within a gene pool. This may result in the loss of a trait or the spread of a trait within a population. However, genetic drift is not due selection pressures resulting in mutations, creating beneficial alleles etc ( at least to my knowledge :redface:)
Now the founder effect, is when uncommon alleles increase in frequency, or when number of different alleles decrease in frequency, within a new population.
So, in a way, the founder effect may also cause genetic drift within a population (since allele frequencies get changed)

We could use these concepts to explain loss of genetic variatoin in a population, or speciation.

Hope I am right, and hope you understand :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 150
What is clonal selection??
I'm finding it hard to put in words :s-smilie:
Original post by SKK94
Genetic drift is when the allele frequency of a particular allele increases or decreases within a gene pool. This may result in the loss of a trait or the spread of a trait within a population. However, genetic drift is not due selection pressures resulting in mutations, creating beneficial alleles etc ( at least to my knowledge :redface:)
Now the founder effect, is when uncommon alleles increase in frequency, or when number of different alleles decrease in frequency, within a new population.
So, in a way, the founder effect may also cause genetic drift within a population (since allele frequencies get changed)

We could use these concepts to explain loss of genetic variatoin in a population, or speciation.

Hope I am right, and hope you understand :smile:

thank you for explaining! :smile:
Reply 152
could some explain the correlation value and the critical values... it was asked in jan 2013 paper? question 6cii?
Reply 153
well clonal selection is the stage of antibodies and killing of pathogen . B effector cells differntiate to produce plasma cells (at this stage there are more RER and golgi body produced) Plasma cells produce large amount of anitbodies and release into blood.
correct me if im wrong
Original post by SKK94
Reply 154
Original post by raves
well clonal selection is the stage of antibodies and killing of pathogen . B effector cells differntiate to produce plasma cells (at this stage there are more RER and golgi body produced) Plasma cells produce large amount of anitbodies and release into blood.
correct me if im wrong

You are right about the process.

But I thought clonal selection had something to do with the specificity of antibodies to antigens?
I found this link; it may help understand clonal selection...
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/immunology/tutorials/immunology/09t.html
Reply 155
oh right thats much better :biggrin: thanks!
Reply 156
hey im struggling with succession!! can someone please help me out?
Original post by SKK94

Is it in the specification?? i dont think so. why dont u use the specification to revise now? i mean as we dont hve much time :smile:
Reply 158
Original post by raves
hey im struggling with succession!! can someone please help me out?

Succession occurs when pioneer species arrive and grow in environments where there isn't any life. They break up the rocks and add organic matter into the little/ no soil that is present. This changes the soil structure and allows it to retain water.Due to this more species of plant arrive begin to grow in the newly made soil. They change the soil structure/environment and attract other species. As new species arrive the older species tend to get out competed, this carries on until a stable climax community is achieved. A dominant species (usually the most abdundant/ largest) also establish. Correct me if wrong guys.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 159
thank you! i understand it now :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending