The Student Room Group

High paid careers after chem degree??

Come on every1 where does the $$$ lie after graduating from chem at a descent uni with a descent grade.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Make some drugs, sell them :wink:
Reply 2
Naa as in proper career
I would love to know the answer to this aswell. Makes me worry about my future if I get a Chemistry Degree
Reply 4
Original post by theCreator
I would love to know the answer to this aswell. Makes me worry about my future if I get a Chemistry Degree

yeah you know what you wanna do when you graduate?or u just doing chem cuz you enjoy it?
Original post by ray96
yeah you know what you wanna do when you graduate?or u just doing chem cuz you enjoy it?

I have no idea. Like doing chemistry at uni is the only course I see myself doing, but it makes me worry if I'll be able to get a decent living for the rest of my life through a chemistry degree.
Reply 6
I have no idea. Like doing chemistry at uni is the only course I see myself doing, but it makes me worry if I'll be able to get a decent living for the rest of my life through a chemistry degree.

Yeah im in the same boat...may look to get some careers advice.

U just done your AS exams?
Banking, management consultancy, intellectual property law...
Original post by ray96
Yeah im in the same boat...may look to get some careers advice.

U just done your AS exams?

Yeah, finished my exams last week. Can finally concentrate on this whole application process. If you get some career advice, don't forget to post it here ahah
Original post by ray96
Come on every1 where does the $$$ lie after graduating from chem at a descent uni with a descent grade.

Just thought I'd tell you, I asked my friend who's currently at imperial doing chem eng about job prospects and he said there's nothing to worry about. Science and engineering degrees are very valuable, and can take you to so many jobs. Specifically he said that his girlfriend who's doing chemistry at imperial got an internship at a Bank and if she gets the job, bearing in mind she has literally just graduated, she will make £40,000 a year already.... :biggrin:
Just thought I'd tell you, I asked my friend who's currently at imperial doing chem eng about job prospects and he said there's nothing to worry about. Science and engineering degrees are very valuable, and can take you to so many jobs. Specifically he said that his girlfriend who's doing chemistry at imperial got an internship at a Bank and if she gets the job, bearing in mind she has literally just graduated, she will make £40,000 a year already.... :biggrin:

Sounds like a highly competitive role. Surely many others from economic and finance degrees would be applying for the same position.
Original post by eggfriedrice
Sounds like a highly competitive role. Surely many others from economic and finance degrees would be applying for the same position.

Yeah granted it is quite competitive, but no (although I'm not sure about economics) banks mostly prefer science degrees to finance degrees for quite a few reasons. Science degrees give you not only mathematical, but logic and analytical skills, also being considered as much more valuable than a Finance degree which isn't really that good in comparison.
Yeah granted it is quite competitive, but no (although I'm not sure about economics) banks mostly prefer science degrees to finance degrees for quite a few reasons. Science degrees give you not only mathematical, but logic and analytical skills, also being considered as much more valuable than a Finance degree which isn't really that good in comparison.

Then surely engineering graduates would be in the best position? I mean it's the combination of heavy maths, plus analytical thinking to solve problems.
(wasn't me who negged you btw .)
Original post by eggfriedrice
Then surely engineering graduates would be in the best position? I mean it's the combination of heavy maths, plus analytical thinking to solve problems.
(wasn't me who negged you btw .)

Nah it's fine, I don't care about rep ahah. But yeah sorry I forgot to mention that, I was looking at imperial graduates (so everyone finishing with a science or engineering degree) and actually quite alot went into banking/finance. So yeah definitely a valued degree, but I'm going to ask someone about the economics degree, presumably they'd maybe get precedence.
Nah it's fine, I don't care about rep ahah. But yeah sorry I forgot to mention that, I was looking at imperial graduates (so everyone finishing with a science or engineering degree) and actually quite alot went into banking/finance. So yeah definitely a valued degree, but I'm going to ask someone about the economics degree, presumably they'd maybe get precedence.

Hmm it's a relief because I'm doing engineering and having open options would be good.

But I'm thinking it's strange. Economics require high grades especially for the "more prestigious" universities so surely they would have the edge over most people in finance.
Reply 15
Hi,
I thought I would join in :smile: So I am starting chemistry at uni in the September! To be honest the main jobs you will get from a Chemistry degree is work in a science related field, people do say you can go into banking e.t.c. Realistically it is an unlikely route as they will employ those with a degree in finance. If you want to make loads of money don't do a science degree, to a business or finance degree but if you want a decent job with a good salary then do science. Most scientists do it for the love of the subject not the money :smile:
Reply 16
General Grad Schemes? Chem grades are looked upon favorably because ........they're smart people :biggrin: They have good numerical skills etc.
Original post by LRC4321
Hi,
I thought I would join in :smile: So I am starting chemistry at uni in the September! To be honest the main jobs you will get from a Chemistry degree is work in a science related field, people do say you can go into banking e.t.c. Realistically it is an unlikely route as they will employ those with a degree in finance. If you want to make loads of money don't do a science degree, to a business or finance degree but if you want a decent job with a good salary then do science. Most scientists do it for the love of the subject not the money :smile:

I wouldn't say unlikely because it is common every year. But on one hand I would do it for the the love of science as you say, but I'm sure you've thought of this aswell, it goes without saying I want a comfortable living. I'm not saying I want stacks of money and a private jet, but I'm worried that the chemistry jobs after graduating will be generally low-pay as I've heard... :s-smilie:
Reply 18
unless you discover a new medicine, or are a top chemist or something, the salary is not that high, but still ok
break some bad and you'll do alright.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending