The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

In my first placement school everyone used laptops and I always had to borrow my mentor's because mine was rubbish. I got a new one for Xmas but by the time I got to my second everyone used the classroom desktops. However I obviously used mine at home to plan on etc. You'll have to have a workable computer in secondary at least, can't speak for primary.

I've used a PowerPoint for every lesson I've ever taught. Invest in a good portable hard drive!
Reply 2161
Original post by StarBabyCat
In my first placement school everyone used laptops and I always had to borrow my mentor's because mine was rubbish. I got a new one for Xmas but by the time I got to my second everyone used the classroom desktops. However I obviously used mine at home to plan on etc. You'll have to have a workable computer in secondary at least, can't speak for primary.

I've used a PowerPoint for every lesson I've ever taught. Invest in a good portable hard drive!

Oh yeah, you DEFINITELY need a computer! And windows would be preferable simply for compatibility with school PCs. I don't think I could have completed the course without a computer.

It's just whether a laptop is preferable over a desktop will depend on the school.

xxx
Original post by Mr Advice
I'm gonna start the PGCE in September and would like to know from those who are doing the course how important it is to have a laptop? Is it a necessity or would a 64/128gb USB memory stick be enough?

I would recommend you get a laptop of your own, even if you get given one from your school. Personally i use my work laptop at work and leave it there overnight and use my own at home. That way i only have to carry a hard drive backwards and forwards, rather than the computer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't want to scare people, but I fully regret doing this course.
SuperSam, why?

I am at a high risk of not gaining QTS (if you read the QTS Skills Test thread, you'll see my anguish!) so I have potentially wasted £9000, not counting the back-breaking work and the heartbreak if I don't make it, can't take up my position etc, but I STILL have no regrets about doing it. I'm still so grateful to have trained where I did and with the subject that I love.

Surely you can't have long to go now. I've read your posts and I can understand, can't believe how mean your placement school was about you!
SuperSam, why?

I am at a high risk of not gaining QTS (if you read the QTS Skills Test thread, you'll see my anguish!) so I have potentially wasted £9000, not counting the back-breaking work and the heartbreak if I don't make it, can't take up my position etc, but I STILL have no regrets about doing it. I'm still so grateful to have trained where I did and with the subject that I love.

Surely you can't have long to go now. I've read your posts and I can understand, can't believe how mean your placement school was about you!

My advice is watch the YouTube videos, even buy the rest if you have to. The book was no use at all to me. You will pass. I failed all the online tests at first then after watching the videos I started to pass. Just make sure you learn the techniques, I'm just glad I've passed and do feel for people who have to take the harder ones in Sept

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2166
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Don't want to scare people, but I fully regret doing this course.

Can you elaborate a bit on this please. I'm currently considering applying next year (got a month of experience lined up in a few weeks time) and would really like to get viewpoints from both sides.
Reply 2167
SuperSam, why?

Which books have you used for the skills revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Patmore book. I'm passing all the practice ones, I think that I'm too used to those tests, I've 'rinsed' them so to speak. Going to buy the packages of extra ones so I have a bit of variation. I also have 'maths anxiety' so I'm going to approach my uni for their advice. It's not like I can't do the maths, I just can't cope with the pressure.

So it's all a bit rubbish, having a poo-time of it right now. However almost halfway through my assignment woo!
The Patmore book. I'm passing all the practice ones, I think that I'm too used to those tests, I've 'rinsed' them so to speak. Going to buy the packages of extra ones so I have a bit of variation. I also have 'maths anxiety' so I'm going to approach my uni for their advice. It's not like I can't do the maths, I just can't cope with the pressure.

So it's all a bit rubbish, having a poo-time of it right now. However almost halfway through my assignment woo!

My uni gave workshops on the maths skills test. Want me to send over the PowerPoint? I know that lots of people found the online ones harder than the real thing
My uni have had sessions too, and I'm on my last go, so no, the real ones were harder! Although as I say, it's not really the maths that I can't handle; it's the pressure. It'd be great to have the PowerPoint, ta!
Original post by tory88
Can you elaborate a bit on this please. I'm currently considering applying next year (got a month of experience lined up in a few weeks time) and would really like to get viewpoints from both sides.

Nothing could have prepared me for the amount of paperwork that has to be done. Nothing.

Well, maybe a better university could have, I'm not sure.

I hate my placement school and it really makes me question whether or not I want to teach at all. At the minute, the plan is to pass (hopefully) and do NQT year, then I'll re-evaluate. Hopefully it is just the school/my university that makes me feel so rubbish...
Has anyone gone through the PGCE relying on car-sharing/ public transport to get to placements? If so, how did you manage it?
Reply 2173
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Nothing could have prepared me for the amount of paperwork that has to be done. Nothing.

Well, maybe a better university could have, I'm not sure.

I hate my placement school and it really makes me question whether or not I want to teach at all. At the minute, the plan is to pass (hopefully) and do NQT year, then I'll re-evaluate. Hopefully it is just the school/my university that makes me feel so rubbish...

Thank you. Which university is it you go to, and for what subject? Also, do you say that going to a better university may have prepared you for it because you know people who have found it easier going who came from stronger universities, or is it just a general feeling?
Reply 2174
Original post by Lit2010
Has anyone gone through the PGCE relying on car-sharing/ public transport to get to placements? If so, how did you manage it?

I did, buses.

I'm in Norwich at uea. I have found it fine but I've been very lucky with my placements, one was only 15 mins bus away (I live less than 5 mins from the bus stop), the other is about 30 mins bus. So both good. I would like to be able to leave a little bit later on the second one, as the bus is at 6:59 but the next one wouldn't get me there till 20 mins before the kids.

My uni is very accommodating and does their best to make it reasonable for people, but with so many situations to consider (transport, childcare, knowing someone who works at the school) there are sometimes long journeys involved. A friend of mine has to get a train but her first placement was walking distance.

Basically, it'd be easier with a car but it's certainly doable, and you can always use time on a bus or train to catch up on paperwork or just relax, read, listen to music since you won't have much time for that! I find it helps to relax and prepare me if I read on the bus.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lit2010

Yep, 2 buses to placement 1 (rural-ish school), around 40 minutes-1 hour. Was fine, meant an earlier start and just make sure you don't regularly rely on the latest possible bus to get you there, give yourself some leeway, especially if there are fewer buses, always worth getting the earlier one.

Placement 2 was a lift share, 1 hour long journey, only downside is relying on others' schedules and them actually going in! Fortunately when that happened I did have the option of the train, and so could get home if I/they needed to stay late or something.

It's actually really therapeutic sharing lifts as you get chance to let off steam about the day. And equally getting a bus/train is relaxing time rather than having to pay attention while driving!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tory88
Thank you. Which university is it you go to, and for what subject? Also, do you say that going to a better university may have prepared you for it because you know people who have found it easier going who came from stronger universities, or is it just a general feeling?

I'm doing Primary at LSBU. I don't mean a "stronger" uni as such, but a uni that knew a thing or two about basic organisation and actually seemed to care about students might have been beneficial :smile:
My uni have had sessions too, and I'm on my last go, so no, the real ones were harder! Although as I say, it's not really the maths that I can't handle; it's the pressure. It'd be great to have the PowerPoint, ta!

PM me your email :smile:
So stressed. So much to do but I'm falling to pieces :frown:
Original post by sunfowers01
So stressed. So much to do but I'm falling to pieces :frown:

Send me a pm to rant if you like, I've got a meeting in a few minutes but will read it ASAP :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending