The Student Room Group

Edexcel: 11th and 14th June 2013 (Linear) 1MA0/1H + 2H (Official Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tohaaaa
So is compound interest an exclusively calculator topic?

And what about proof?

Proof of what? proofs typically don't require a calculator so could be on either

Compound interest with only a few simple compounded calculations could be in non calc - I think I can recall one example - but really the knowledge they are testing using an efficient method of multipliers is typically more a calculator skill
Reply 221
Original post by gdunne42
Proof of what? proofs typically don't require a calculator so could be on either

Compound interest with only a few simple compounded calculations could be in non calc - I think I can recall one example - but really the knowledge they are testing using an efficient method of multipliers is typically more a calculator skill

Fair enough. :smile:

I mean proof of circle theorems, since I haven't seen any come up recently....
Original post by tohaaaa
Fair enough. :smile:
I mean proof of circle theorems, since I haven't seen any come up recently....

Although it says in the specification 'prove and use' I can't recall a question from recent years where you were required to prove circle theorems but will be asked to use them - could be either paper
Reply 223
Original post by gdunne42
Although it says in the specification 'prove and use' I can't recall a question from recent years where you were required to prove circle theorems but will be asked to use them - could be either paper

So would you say it's unlikely a question like that will come up??
Original post by tohaaaa
So would you say it's unlikely a question like that will come up??

yes
more likely proofs are those of congruence and an algebraic proofs of the sum of consecutive numbers (odd numbers, even numbers, etc)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 225
What topics have you guys really struggled with?
Reply 226
Are similar triangles, nth terms, inverse proportion, surds, graph functions and sin equations all likely to come up in the non calculator paper?
Reply 227
Original post by Esteta

Graphs, graphs and more graphs...
Reply 228
I just find the transformation graphs really complicated. That is the only thing which I am struggling with to be honest.
hi , i was just wondering:

are the examiners lenient on this paper?

also..

if you write things by the questions to help you out (i.e y = mx + c), do you get marks deducted?

thank you in advance
Reply 230
Original post by ThePremierLeague
hi , i was just wondering:

are the examiners lenient on this paper?

also..

if you write things by the questions to help you out (i.e y = mx + c), do you get marks deducted?

thank you in advance

No, don't be afraid to use the space you have to work things out.
Reply 231
Original post by Esteta

Simultaneous equations! I just can't get my head around them!
Original post by amyyalice
Simultaneous equations! I just can't get my head around them!

Sammmmmmme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 233
YouTube is so helpful guys. If you have a topic which you find complicated.
Does anyone possibly have a list of topics for the Non-Calculator paper then a list of topics for the Calculator topics. It would be really helpful :smile: and how is everyone feeling about it?
Hi Guys,

I'm doing the exam on the 11th and 14th of June, I was wondering if anybody know the topics that definitely will come in the exam, or might appear.:eek: Also, how confident are you? I'm pretty much confident, I've been practicing and I'm getting A*. I hope the same for you all.

Regards
Omar,:wink:
I'm taking this exam too and have had lots of practise but I'm still really nervous. Although I'm going to try and not let it get the better of me since there's no coursework to fall back on if I do badly in the exam due to nerves. Am aiming for a B overall. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 237
I'd love an A* but will most likely get an A. I understand the majority of things to come on the exam but the wording of the questions will bnring me down.

Thing i dislike;
Graphs
Circle Theorems (they're okay I suppose)
Vectors (difficult when question is like X is 2:3 on the line AB)
Similar Shapes
Reply 238
Original post by omarzizo
Hi Guys,

I'm doing the exam on the 11th and 14th of June, I was wondering if anybody know the topics that definitely will come in the exam, or might appear.:eek: Also, how confident are you? I'm pretty much confident, I've been practicing and I'm getting A*. I hope the same for you all.

Regards
Omar,:wink:

Hey, unfortunately we can't say for sure what will "definitely" come up as the maths course has such a broad range of topics, and they could easily mix and match topics into contexts etc...

I feel quite confident in this exam, but not over confident since I don't want to jinx it :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 239
Everyone lets keep this topic going!
Reply quicker guys! The exam is in 2 days timeish

Answer these questions of mine:
What grade are you aiming for? What will you most likely get?
What are you revising on the most?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending