The Student Room Group

A2-AQA GOV4A Politics 10th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bord3r
US v. Lopez ruled that so called "Gun Free Zones" around schools were unconstitutional as it infringed on a person's right to bear arms.
It is definitely possible to argue that the Rehnquist court and Roberts Court have been conservatively active however you could also say that courts are only really labelled active when people disagree with their rulings.

Gonzales v. Carhart upheld the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act which meant the court deferred to Congress' legislation.
NFIB v. Sebelius held that the ACA (Obamacare) was constitutional, again meaning that the court deferred to the Executive/Congress' legislation.

Okay so how do you distinguish between active and restraint?
Many times its so difficult to distinguish a case.
If an essay on how active/restraint courts are what would you say
Original post by Bord3r
US v. Lopez ruled that so called "Gun Free Zones" around schools were unconstitutional as it infringed on a person's right to bear arms.
It is definitely possible to argue that the Rehnquist court and Roberts Court have been conservatively active however you could also say that courts are only really labelled active when people disagree with their rulings.

Gonzales v. Carhart upheld the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act which meant the court deferred to Congress' legislation.
NFIB v. Sebelius held that the ACA (Obamacare) was constitutional, again meaning that the court deferred to the Executive/Congress' legislation.

US V. Lopez was actually argued on the commerce clause not the 2nd amendment. The first to be argued on the 2nd amendment was District of Columbia V. Heller
Reply 202
Original post by ironicdays
US V. Lopez was actually argued on the commerce clause not the 2nd amendment. The first to be argued on the 2nd amendment was District of Columbia V. Heller

Oh yeah, my bad :redface: Thanks!
Reply 203
I'm guessing a lot of people here are planning on doing Supreme Court then judging by the discussion?
Original post by ironicdays
Active- Roe v. Wade, Bush v. Gore, Brown V. Board of Education
Restraint- Dickerson V. United States
It's very difficult to define whether a case is active or restraint. However activism is seen as striking down policy decisions by other government officials or institutions

Why would Dickerson VS US be restraint is it cause it removed Miranda VS Airzona?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Why would Dickerson VS US be restraint is it cause it removed Miranda VS Airzona?

No, the court had the opportunity to overturn Miranda but largely due to the principle of stare decisis decided to uphold it :smile:
Reply 206
Original post by RobMoon
I'm guessing a lot of people here are planning on doing Supreme Court then judging by the discussion?

Excellent pun there sir...'judging' by the discussion, superb :wink:
Reply 207
Original post by ineedtorevise127

Dickerson v United States (2000) upheld Miranda Rights, and so is restrained because it went along with the precedent established with Miranda v. Arizona (1966)
Sorry, I don't get how judicial activism can be shown from United States v. Lopez? The majority decision was against progression of banning guns in school zones? It upholds the right to have guns which surely is restraint?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
Have a nasty feeling federalism is going to come up for topic 1 tomorrow...topic 3 I'm feeling a bit of EXOP and the Cabinet and for Topic 4 I hope hope hope that its how political the nomination/confirmation process for the Supreme Court is (doubt it though!)
Reply 210
Original post by Hannahm1995
Sorry, I don't get how judicial activism can be shown from United States v. Lopez? The majority decision was against progression of banning guns in school zones? It upholds the right to have guns which surely is restraint?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its up to how you interpret it really. Yes it shows restraint because it upholds the 2nd amendment rights of being allowed guns. However, it does also show activism as the ruling set limits to Congress' power through the commerce clause.
Reply 211

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in that sense yes, but they struck down a law that had been put in place by a state legislature so they were actively shaping the laws and society.

It is definitely a more conservative type of activism though, and it is based on a strict constructionist view of the constitution.
Anyone at all planning to do something apart from Judiciary? :L
Reply 213
Original post by octoberbaby
Anyone at all planning to do something apart from Judiciary? :L

Congress, although I'll be doing the judiciary too.
Original post by LAMPERMAN
Its up to how you interpret it really. Yes it shows restraint because it upholds the 2nd amendment rights of being allowed guns. However, it does also show activism as the ruling set limits to Congress' power through the commerce clause.

Great! Lots of them are up to interpretation! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bord3r
Well in that sense yes, but they struck down a law that had been put in place by a state legislature so they were actively shaping the laws and society.

It is definitely a more conservative type of activism though, and it is based on a strict constructionist view of the constitution.

Okay, thank you :smile: what is a better example of judicial restraint?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 216
Okay, thank you :smile: what is a better example of judicial restraint?

Posted from TSR Mobile

NFIB v. Sebelius is the best recent one in my opinion.
Everyone excited for tomorrow?? :wink: What questions are people doing, Executive and Congress/Constitution I reckon
If Judicial activism/restraint came up as a 10 marker how would you answer it?
Planning Congress/Constitution with Judiciary as my back up. I'm nervous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending