The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by beautywithbrains
Can somebody please help me out on this question? It's jan08 qu3c)
Don't understand what to with the 8 on the bottom?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370795658.408430.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You pull out 1/2, and just multiply the expansion of 1+3/2x^1/2 by 1/2
Original post by Enginerd.
I may not be around for the remainder of the day, so good luck to everyone sitting the exam tomorrow! And I hope you get the grade you need/want. :smile:

thanks
for the vectors theres some sweet questions earlier on in the thread post 50 ish, what basic geometry are you guys gonna go over? (i.e rhombus , parallelogram etc what else? )
Reply 342
Original post by beautywithbrains
Can somebody please help me out on this question? It's jan08 qu3c)
Don't understand what to with the 8 on the bottom?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370795658.408430.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well from the question previously you get the expansion for
Unparseable latex formula:

\sqrt{(1+\frac{3}{2})}[br]\[br]The numerator of part c) is \sqrt{2} \sqrt{(1+\frac{3x}{2})}[br]\[br]So for the overall equation you get { \sqrt{2} \sqrt{(1+\frac{3x}{2})} \over\sqrt{8}}[br] \Rightarrow { \sqrt{2} \sqrt{(1+\frac{3x}{2})} \over 2\sqrt{2}}[br]\[br]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} \ multiplied \ by \ your \ expansion \ from \ b)[br]

Original post by krane
Can anyone help me with the questions on trig, where you get like cosx= 2/3 and have to work out sinx? I get this, but what do you do when it's an obtuse angle?

This probably doesn't make much sense, an example is Jan 2012 Q2 a ii)
:smile:

treat it in the same way. Find the value of sine as you normally would and then refer to the CAST diagram - an obtuse angle is between 90 and 180 degrees (sine is positive). If you were finding tan or cos of an obtuse angle, it would be negative. The values are going to be the same, it's the sign (+ or -) that you need to consider.
Hope that helps
Original post by krane
Can anyone help me with the questions on trig, where you get like cosx= 2/3 and have to work out sinx? I get this, but what do you do when it's an obtuse angle?

This probably doesn't make much sense, an example is Jan 2012 Q2 a ii)
:smile:

So, in the case of the Jan 2012 question. Alpha is acute and Beta is obtuse.
Tan is positive when the angle is acute, so the value will = 4/3.

But Tan is negative when the angle is obtuse, so the value will = -1/root3
Reply 345
Could some please explain Q 2a)ii) from Jan 2012?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC4-QP-JAN12.PDF

Unsure how the fact Sin(B) is obtuse effects the question.

Thanks in advance for the help!
hrlp.JPGcan someone help me with this question please? It's jan 2010 paper last question part bii thanks in advance!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bord3r
Well from the question previously you get the expansion for
Unparseable latex formula:

\sqrt{(1+\frac{3}{2})}[br]\[br]The numerator of part c) is \sqrt{2} \sqrt{(1+\frac{3x}{2})}[br]\[br]So for the overall equation you get { \sqrt{2} \sqrt{(1+\frac{3x}{2})} \over\sqrt{8}}[br] \Rightarrow { \sqrt{2} \sqrt{(1+\frac{3x}{2})} \over 2\sqrt{2}}[br]\[br]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} \ multiplied \ by \ your \ expansion \ from \ b)[br]

Omg thank you! Finally get it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The H
That's true, the Jan 13 vectors Q was fairly easy compared to others, so... get ready for a hard one this time:mad:

Yeah most likely will be :rolleyes:
Original post by iloveitachi
hrlp.JPGcan someone help me with this question please? It's jan 2010 paper last question part bii thanks in advance!

Work out your dh/dt from the original expression for h (as you would normally). Then rearrange the original expression for h, make e^(t/4) the subject, then substitute back into your dh/dt. Should fall out :smile:
Reply 350
How you guys learning the vectors stuff except from doing past papers?
Reply 351
Hey, could some help me with question (3b) from the January 2010 paper?
Original post by coolstorybrother
thanks
for the vectors theres some sweet questions earlier on in the thread post 50 ish, what basic geometry are you guys gonna go over? (i.e rhombus , parallelogram etc what else? )

Yep, those kinds of questions trip me up! Make sure you know that isosceles triangle has 2 equal sides.

dh/dt means height per hour, it is growing at a rate of 13 mm per hour, so replace the dh/dt by 13 and solve.
Original post by Hunarench95
Work out your dh/dt from the original expression for h (as you would normally). Then rearrange the original expression for h, make e^(t/4) the subject, then substitute back into your dh/dt. Should fall out :smile:

Could you please show me? Cause I integrated it but I'd like to understand the method used in the ms and thanks a lot for answering! :smile:
Yep, those kinds of questions trip me up! Make sure you know that isosceles triangle has 2 equal sides.

dh/dt means height per hour, it is growing at a rate of 13 mm per hour, so replace the dh/dt by 13 and solve.

Thanks for the answer but I asked about bii :smile:
Thanks for the answer but I asked about bii :smile:

LOL, my bad.
LOL, my bad.

don't worry :smile:
Could you please show me? Cause I integrated it but I'd like to understand the method used in the ms and thanks a lot for answering! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've posted the solution have a look at the latest page.

You're most welcome :biggrin:

i was looking at this picture and my mind decided to pick up the pen from the screen. -_-

Latest

Trending

Trending